This is Google's Chrome OS Notebook: The Cr-48

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
i cant see myself ever using this... I use google docs and it is not fully reliable yet to be used a sole word processing software. Now imagine using this unreliability in junction with instability in internet connection (due to various reason), you have a notebook that is not reliable.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
However, I would use it if i could use this in conjunction with my already available OS (that does not require constant internet connection), to keep track of my work both on my notebook and on the web. It would be great to have a backup and manipulation ability over the net just like google docs assuming this whole technology is reasonably secure.

G

This is it guys, this is the future of information technology, and where Cloud Computing is taking us. First we virtualize our servers, and then we virtualize our desktops, and then we virtualize ourselves. There will be no demand for I.T. support, only network engineers and coders...

Get ready because there is no stopping this movement!

Ev1lryu

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]There's already a product called the CR-48! Try again Google!http://catalog.specjan.com/catalog [...] =CR48+EACH[/citation]

hmm.. someone from Google needs to learn to.. google :|

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
This notebook certainly has my attention.
I do wonder however, will there be native dual boot support?
Seems great for anything web based, but I certainly do need to use my Windows programs from time to time.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]There's already a product called the CR-48! Try again Google!http://catalog.specjan.com/catalog [...] =CR48+EACH[/citation]

@applegetsmelaid(doubtful) - I guess Cimex should have to try again too. I think this one might predate the floor scrubber.
http://www.retroradiozone.com/crosley_phonograph_cr_48.html

Google is off the hook because they used a dash in the name to make it unique.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
kinda disappointed ... just the easily layed-out essentials, like macs
was hoping for something that would be abit more attractive to opensourced coders as a small portable coding box. the whole create code on the machine your creating code for deal.

G

Price? Only for web browsing, so it will be a low proc+low graphics, so it NEED to be cheaper than a common netbook.

Not useful for me, but think various persons buy a netbook only for facebook/gmail.

beznet

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
meh... if the price is around $400 then I suppose it's alright. I think it would be a good way for someone with minimal computer experience to jump into.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Looks good enough, but i can't see myself typing without Caps-Lock. there are times when i NEED that key.
and its addiction to a good internet connection will prevent this netbook from those many area in the WORLD where there is no good internet connection available.
Definitely a netbook that is not for everyone.
btw, i'm curious how do you type all caps with this thing?

ceteras

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
(but a search key where the caps lock usually is)

I think manufacturers should replace caps lock keys with something useful, it would be the end of CAPSLOCK warriors.

If you NEED to accentuate a word you don't need to make it unreadable (also there are two shift keys).

Status
Not open for further replies.