[SOLVED] This is my computer. Discuss.

Mar 5, 2020
Thoughts on current setup deficiencies, bottlenecks or future upgrades(short-term and long-term)

CPU: i5-8400
Motherboard: Gigabyte B360
Memory: 16GB 2400Hz 2x8GB HyperX
GPU: ROG GeForce RTX 2060Super
Boot Drive: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe M.2
Storage: 2x 256GB SSD, 1x 3TB HDD
Monitor: 3440 x 1440 UWQHD QLED 100Hz
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Last edited:
Solution
Should be great IMO. Though its "future upgradability*" isn't really there.
At 3440x1440, graphics performance is going to matter more than anything for most modern games, and there's certainly room to move up to a newer, faster graphics card down the line.

Technically, the processor could be upgraded to an i7 eventually as well, though I suspect it might just be better to swap the motherboard and go with a newer processor at that point, unless a compatible i7 can be found on the used market for a not-too unreasonable price.
Should be great IMO. Though its "future upgradability*" isn't really there.
At 3440x1440, graphics performance is going to matter more than anything for most modern games, and there's certainly room to move up to a newer, faster graphics card down the line.

Technically, the processor could be upgraded to an i7 eventually as well, though I suspect it might just be better to swap the motherboard and go with a newer processor at that point, unless a compatible i7 can be found on the used market for a not-too unreasonable price.

Solution
This. So much this.

For an unfathomable reason the i7 doesn't depreciate in value until it is quite obsolete. I was looking into an i7 for my Haswell based setup and it would be cheaper to get a Ryzen 5 2600 AND motherboard. Honestly, upgrading Intel systems is not cost effective. Never get an i5 expecting a reasonable cost to upgrade to an i7 later.

TRENDING THREADS