This is sucha nightmare... Someone help

BakedNOwning

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Okay so I got a new processor, wasnt working with my old Mobo, So I got a new Mobo. Simple right? No new Mobo didnt have IDE slots, so had to go buy a"Ultra PCI Express storage controller" problem solved! Not really tho, Old hard drive wont boot, gets bluescreen, okay makes sense other Mobo was old. Next step? Install windows! Got a usb formatted to install windows, now its asking me to find a driver to continue, cause theyre are no Drivers. I Got past it at some point and got to the screen where it wants my to select my partition. Cant find any sort of system Image or Partition at all. So now Im stuck, Im so frustrated and googled out, Idk what to do any more but its becomming a nightmare. HD works fine when I piece my old setup back together… What the hell can i do guys

Solution

Well don't give up on it yet, dude.

Did you investigate the BIOS settings regarding 'boot order' and 'bootable device' settings?

There seems to be no reason why the drive shouldn't boot even with an O/S that has the wrong drivers installed. I would have thought that Windows would simply try to load default drivers for your system.

Have you tried the PCI board in a different slot? That might make a difference?

Also, make sure that your SATA Mode option is set to 'IDE' rather than 'AHCI'.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Firstly, is there a setting in BIOS that make the PCI boot device visible?

Does the drive show up there? And it contains an O/S?

Sometimes there is a setting to disable certain types of boot-up device - is there such a setting in your BIOS?

Make sure that all the relevant devices are enabled.

Failing that and assuming that the drive is being 'seen' by the system, I might rebuild that old system again to delete all the partitions.

Since you are prepared to do a fresh install of Windows, (wise), you could use 'Diskpart' to delete each partition on the drive and create a new single un-formatted partition.

Then rebuild your new system, the old one is now dead, and try to install again.

Although why you didn't just spring for a new SATA drive, I will never understand.

Any problems at this stage will be due to the configuration of the hard ware.

Is your system even capable of booting from a PCI device?

BakedNOwning

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I just didnt wanna lose my games and such I just wanted to upgrade my rig not build and entire new one ya know? Bios clearly sees my drive, which means the PCI controller is reading it obviously right? But fuck it to make stuff simple Id do a clean install, and lose everything whatever, but I dont wanna do that try again onlybtp realize its STILL not reading the hard drive

BakedNOwning

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Though the MOST SIMPLEST ANSWER too all this bull crap is just get a new hard drive. I just didnt have enough for it right now and wanted to make do with what I had. Guess Ill just wait till I can just buy the darn thing

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Well don't give up on it yet, dude.

Did you investigate the BIOS settings regarding 'boot order' and 'bootable device' settings?

There seems to be no reason why the drive shouldn't boot even with an O/S that has the wrong drivers installed. I would have thought that Windows would simply try to load default drivers for your system.

Have you tried the PCI board in a different slot? That might make a difference?

Also, make sure that your SATA Mode option is set to 'IDE' rather than 'AHCI'.

Solution

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
For starters, it seems that the Windows installer doesn't recognize your "Ultra PCI Express storage controller" : the installer will not be able to detect any disk drives that are connected to this controller without having the appropriate driver. . You need to find the driver for the controller, put it on your USB stick, and at some point during the installation you will be prompted to supply any additional 3rd party drivers that you may desire. You *should* be able to complete your installation after doing this.

Himnextdoor has a good point, though: your machine still may not be able to boot from that particular controller, due to limtations of the mobo's chipset, or in the controller itself. But it won't matter if you can't get your OS installed, so give that a try first. Good luck.