This is the Acer Aspire 3951 Air-like Ultrabook

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]It kinda looks like they copied the design of the Macbooks....[/citation]
It's not like you have a lot of choices when the goal is "thin and light". There are bound to be similarities but the one I liked was hp's voodoo envy .. now that was a beautiful machine.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]It's not like you have a lot of choices when the goal is "thin and light". There are bound to be similarities ...[/citation]

Agree. Apple recently won to have Samsung 10" tablets banned in Europe because they're so "Apple-like".. If products are geared toward a specific purpose, they're bound to be similar in one way or another. Hey, iPADs have Samsung procs, don't they? ... What will they do with Acer now?

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]zorky9[/nom]Agree. Apple recently won to have Samsung 10" tablets banned in Europe because they're so "Apple-like".. If products are geared toward a specific purpose, they're bound to be similar in one way or another. Hey, iPADs have Samsung procs, don't they? ... What will they do with Acer now?[/citation]
Form should be similar, but details are too close to Apple's. They should use different keyboard colors (same as Air), make it a little less full-aluminium (same as all MacBooks), even the hinge is pretty much the same. Oh, and the trackpad seems too equal.
Acer can design it so it doesn't look like the Air, and still make a very nice, if not beautiful design.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

The envy was made before HP bought Voodoo, just so you know. I think the main reason it's design hasn't been copied or adapted is cost, hard edges and carbon fiber instead of smooth edges and metal is a unique take on an ultralight, but it isn't cheap to produce.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
"Apple Air" will sue "Acer Aspire" just because there are two "A's" at the begining of each word. je je je !! Also they will sue acer because acer might be a better product, but something I would like to know is; why acer did not use AMD APU in that kind of platform?, those are enough powerfull all in one. Or will they consider APU's in near future ?

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]It's not like you have a lot of choices when the goal is "thin and light". There are bound to be similarities but the one I liked was hp's voodoo envy .. now that was a beautiful machine.[/citation]
Good point, I didn't think about that

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]salgado18[/nom]Form should be similar, but details are too close to Apple's. They should use different keyboard colors (same as Air), make it a little less full-aluminium (same as all MacBooks), even the hinge is pretty much the same. Oh, and the trackpad seems too equal.Acer can design it so it doesn't look like the Air, and still make a very nice, if not beautiful design.[/citation]
Apple don't own the rights to build things out of aluminium.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]Apple don't own the rights to build things out of aluminium.[/citation]
I don't mean use other material, but put some different color, or pattern in it.
Seriously, I want one of those, but I hope they don't get sued before it gets here.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Now I undestand.

Apple is a US based company, so most of their taxes goes to uncle sam. Apple needs to be monopolistic in order to help US economy.

Hope that company dissapears, and Jobs dies once and for all. Free competition has gone.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
A huge difference is that the MacBook Air is shipping today. People, especially college bound students, can walk into an Apple Store or Best Buy and actually see one. They can try the keyboard, browse to their favorite web site, sample the trackpad, etc.. The Acer Aspire 3951 and the Asus US21 are still "comming soon." They need to be manufactured, priced, shipped, and reviewed. I hope they do well, but until I can actually see one for myself, the MacBook Air is inherently more attractive. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]Apple don't own the rights to build things out of aluminium.[/citation]

I see your point, BUT...

But Acer can do better... Copying almost everything is lame.

As consumers - I own a Macbook Pro - Will probably purchase the new Air - We deserve better competition.

I get riled up because people see a copy - Do better, not the same or slightly better - By the time they release the Acer - Apple will update their line with Ivy Bridge...

Remember folks, it's a moving target - you don't aim at it, you aim ahead... Apple wins if they are copying the design...

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
The thing is things just look the same, but when it's related to an Apple product everyone cries foul and says it's imitation. How much different can you really make a thin aluminium laptop look? Look at plasma televisions, refrigerators, urinals, DSLR's, budget non-apple laptops, whatever - they all look the same as each other despite a myriad of different manufacturers, it's just convergent evolution.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]The thing is things just look the same, but when it's related to an Apple product everyone cries foul and says it's imitation. How much different can you really make a thin aluminium laptop look? Look at plasma televisions, refrigerators, urinals, DSLR's, budget non-apple laptops, whatever - they all look the same as each other despite a myriad of different manufacturers, it's just convergent evolution.[/citation]

You can always innovate - that is an excuse...

Sony used to innovate - the First Walkman, my brother had his friend deliver it from Japan when I was kid - most amazing I'd ever seen... What happens when you stop innovating... Sony used to make the best TVs - now they are one among many.

Currently Apple doesn't make excuses (they also make mistakes, but that's what happens when you push the envelope) - the Air has been successful because they do not want to take second place - In marketing (let's be honest) but also in design...

If Acer had this exact design out a year ago - I would be applauding them.

We can all say it's marketing, but honestly it's about innovating as much as marketing - There is a reason that Dell and Acer (to name a few) have pointed their target at Apple. We can argue, but it comes down to making a profit and both Dell and Acer want to be (or hopefully for the consumer, beat) Apple... nuff said.

That's why they are doing so well...

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I still don't think it's gross imitation to make a thin and light aluminium-body laptop then for it to turn out as a minimalist silver wedge, which then happens to be similar in an appearance to a Macbook Air. Trying to make it look different from an Air for the sake of it would probably just result in something awkward and contrived, like trying to make a television that doesn't look like a black rectangle, these things are too minimal for much variation.

G

"It's not like you have a lot of choices when the goal is "thin and light". There are bound to be similarities but the one I liked was hp's voodoo envy .. now that was a beautiful machine."

The first generation Macbook Air and the design available today shows that you can still do a lot with a thin and light design. Sony VAIO for most part does its own design language for thin and light. So I don't see why this is a good excuse to say "oh, Acer didn't have a choice when it comes to thin and light ultrabook designs. So much so that they have to copy very obvious details of the Macbook Air.

This is not about copying the a car with four wheels and four doors. Porsche, BMW or Daihatsu makes their own cars, and they stand out for what they are. It's time a lot of the PC manufacturers do too.

G

apple may not own a patent for making aluminum laptops but they don own patents for the large multitouch trackpad without left/right click buttons and the patent for unibody designs

Status
Not open for further replies.