This is the Windows 7 Family Pack Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Screw Ultimate....just a bunch of bloatware I'd never use.

The family box pricing is impressive indeed. When software is priced within a range I can afford and feels reasonable I purchase it and do NOT pirate.

I think if PC games were $10-20 a pop I'd buy all the ones I think look good. When the companies make them so expensive and people realize the'll play 10-20 hours of a game it's just not worth $60 to them so they pirate it. If I had to pay $110 per computer at my home for Win7 I'd say screw it, but $150 for 3 copies is reasonable.

Take the hint software, music and movie companies. If you just lower your prices MORE people will buy and offset the lower cost per piece with more volume and you'll probably make MORE money. No one wants to pirate, but if you can't afford it then what?

chrisv815

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
the top of the box says "upgrade for Windows Vista" so if you didn't drop the $130 for that piece of crap to begin with it, and stayed with XP looks like you can't use this. Thats too bad. I was considering upgrading. But this is really $150 for 3 service packs. thats all 7 is over Vista.

[citation][nom]judeh101[/nom]Wow, that's a pretty box . Green and good lookin'[/citation]

Green? Either you're color vision isn't great, or your monitor needs major adjustment. Unless of course you're trying to suggest it is "green" by only having one package for three computers...

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom] No one wants to pirate, but if you can't afford it then what?[/citation]

Then you don't play the game, simple as that. If you can't afford a car, you don't go out and steal one.

Shandris

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]meru[/nom]the color of a box is NOT news. The price is the news and it's old now.[/citation]

Wasn't there a previous discussion on which previous Windows can be upgraded to Win7? As far as I can recall, MS (or could be someone else) said that you can directly upgrade from Vista to Win7 without format, but Win7 is also available for XP user with an extra step of doing a HDD format + "clean install". Did anyone else read about this?

ruhere

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Not sure of the accuracy, It was on the MS Blog comments, but one user noted that the upgrade can only be performed from a home SKU, so if you have XP Pro, or Vista Pro, you can't upgrade them with this.

ruhere

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Actually, I guess that has since been debunked in TheStandard.. The following article has an FAQ on the Windows 7 family pack, and they state that you can indeed upgrade with the family pack, from XP/Vista Pro.

Source

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I hope MS keeps this strategy going, the office 3-pack was a nice change of pace for us.

This windows pack is good news :D.

I'm more than happy to pay $50/license for Windows, to me thats an affordable price point for a piece of software.

Shandris

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]ruhere[/nom]Actually, I guess that has since been debunked in TheStandard.. The following article has an FAQ on the Windows 7 family pack, and they state that you can indeed upgrade with the family pack, from XP/Vista Pro.Source[/citation]
Thanks for the source; though I am still wondering how the clean install upgrade process will be like for Win7? It may be something we won't know until the actual product is out. I ask because when I installed my XP Pro (an upgrade CD), it doesn't check for any previous license. So does that mean Win7 home premium family "upgrade" pack will ask for previous license key during the clean install when upgrading from XP, Vista Enterprise, Business and Ultimate? (If you don't know what I'm talking about, read ruhere's source; that may help.)

Status
Not open for further replies.