[SOLVED] This may seem like a stupid question

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay i have 2 i7 10700 CPUs. I have two of them because i bought an extra when I first tried setting up my rig. I had a asus rog z-490f motherboard with a solid red cpu light and I considered it was either a faulty motherboard or processor. I started with the processor and gambled wrong because the motherboard was in fact at fault (newegg confirmed this the other day by giving me my money back on the dead mobo) I couldn't return the extra processor because I took it out of its original packaging.

Now here's the problem. I was cheap and didn't want to fork over the $200 for a liquid cooling system so I like an idiot wanted to use the stock cooler that intel gave me for free. Naturally this spelled disaster because my processor wouldn't even get to 21% load and it would go to near failure temperatures (92c I believe was the record at that low of load and failure is 100c) so naturally if i stress tested the processor it would have exploded on me. So I gave in and bought a corsair 150i pro xt and had it 2 night delivered with some evga frostbite 2 because I had good luck with frostbite in the past. So the paste/cooler came Tuesday and as my wife and I went to install it I did notice thermal damage in the top left hand corner of the processor and the liquid cooler did significantly lower the temps and i was able to stress test the CPU and the highest it got to on full load was 73c. But this didn't seem normal to me. My wife's i7 9700k is being cooled with a 115i and her temps don't break 45c on full load. Both processors are stock but i had wanted to overclock my processor to make it semi on par with a i9 10900k which is the processor i had originally wanted. But of course EVERYBODY wants that processor so ofc thanks to covid its gone everywhere and when you can find it people want ridiculous prices for it. Now my question may seem stupid but I honestly don't know the answer to it.

Is the reason the processor is running so hot because of thermal damage? It sounds like a duh yes but I've never had a processor with thermal damage on it before and I have nearly 30 years of computer experience. I want to make sure before I A. Try my other processor that I paid for to see if it even works and use it or B. Try if it works and if it does sell it on Ebay to help pay for a i9 10850k from newegg before they run out of stock. Theyre selling like hotcakes so I need to make up my mind soon.

Solution
Idle temperatures of 10-15c. over ambient are fine.
That tells me that your cooler mount is ok.

Paste application methods vary, but the difference is minimal.
Paste is an insulator so the less you can use the better to get to as close to metal to metal contact as possible.
I find that a small rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to use too little.

When I said catch 22, this is the issue:

If you mount an aio radiator to draw in outside fresh air, you will cool your processor the best, but at the cost of giving the motherboard and graphics card only warm air to cool with.

OTOH, if you mount the radiator to expel heated air, your cpu will not be as efficiently cooled, but your airflow will...
Aug 21, 2020
So, first off: no stupid questions, but that is a stupid subject. The subject should tell people who are browsing what the question is about in a short sentence.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with the stock cooler. In lieu of overclocking, it will run just fine. At 21% useage, you have something else wrong with your CPU and/or motherboard. I would guess that the heat-sink was not installed properly, but I don't have any way of knowing.

As far as the overclocking question, I'm probably in the minority on this forum, but I would strongly urge against it. Living with the crashes and BSODs just isn't worth it to milk out 10% more performance. That's what I've learned in my 30 years of doing this.

Reactions: ipaint2
Intel processors are very hard to damage.
You are probably OK there.

A i7-10700 is not overclockable. You need a i7-10700K for that.

Because it is not overclockable, it will not generate excessive heat and the stock intel cooler should be fine.
The key is to mount the stock cooler well.
Pushpin mounts can be a bit tricky.

75c. under load is fine.
The processor monitors it's temperature and will throttle or shut down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

What is your idle temperature.
It should be in the range of 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well and functioning properly.

What is the make/model of your case?
Where is your radiator mounted?
Do you have a hot graphics card inside?
Mounting an aio is a catch 22 process.

Interesting video.
I would not characterize the test as a fail like they did.
Even with some throttling, the clock rate still was high.
I would agree with their suggestion to buy an aftermarket cooler if you are planning on running all cores loaded apps.
Aida64 is a stress test and is not likely to be representative of normal usage.
I think it uses avg instructions which are particular heat generating, but not so common in apps.
I liked that intel has included a higher end version of the ubiquitous stock cooler.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Intel processors are very hard to damage.
You are probably OK there.

A i7-10700 is not overclockable. You need a i7-10700K for that.

Because it is not overclockable, it will not generate excessive heat and the stock intel cooler should be fine.
The key is to mount the stock cooler well.
Pushpin mounts can be a bit tricky.

75c. under load is fine.
The processor monitors it's temperature and will throttle or shut down if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

What is your idle temperature.
It should be in the range of 10-15c. over ambient if your cooler is mounted well and functioning properly.

What is the make/model of your case?
Where is your radiator mounted?
Do you have a hot graphics card inside?
Mounting an aio is a catch 22 process.

Thanks! I'm glad you told me before I tried overclocking it! That would have been a disaster! Tbch over the years I've only bought intels k processors so I didnt know.

My idle temperatures are 32-34c ish in bios. 40-42c when in windows under virtually no load. The block is set correctly but i might have put the paste on wrong. Evga were telling me to use an x method that I had never heard of or done before. I might have out too little paste on. Frostbite 2 also comes out quite fast so I had to remove some paste from the edges so they wouldn't get elsewhere whrn i put the block on.

My radiator is mounted on the top. My case is a Thermaltake view 71. It only supports 360 and 420mm radiators according to the specs on the case so I should be fine. I installed it the same way as I installed ghe h115i in my old system. With the radiator on the very left of the top of the case (where it would mount ofc.)

My gpu right now is in the midst of being sent to asus due to high temps as well and for running at half the core clock it should (its a asus rog 2080 super oced to 1980 mhz and is running at 1040 mhz screen flickering and several solid lines sometimes while in windows 10, low framerate ..etc. It started happening a week ago. ASUS thinks they know the problem. But a technician has to fix it. I thought it might be the motherboard as well but it was running fine for several weeks and the GPU just kerplunked one day. Highly doubtful newegg would send me two faulty mobos in a row. Especialky when it runs and flashes ...etc correctly and is running quite cool (not over 30c)

The only things im this rig that ran hot were my cou and gpu. Everything else is running under 45c.

Last edited:
Idle temperatures of 10-15c. over ambient are fine.
That tells me that your cooler mount is ok.

Paste application methods vary, but the difference is minimal.
Paste is an insulator so the less you can use the better to get to as close to metal to metal contact as possible.
I find that a small rice sized drop in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to use too little.

When I said catch 22, this is the issue:

If you mount an aio radiator to draw in outside fresh air, you will cool your processor the best, but at the cost of giving the motherboard and graphics card only warm air to cool with.

OTOH, if you mount the radiator to expel heated air, your cpu will not be as efficiently cooled, but your airflow will be better for motherboard and gpu cooling.
On balance I think the latter would be best for you.

You would have been fine with a $50 air cooler, but that is water under the bridge unless you can send the aio back.

Solution
Aug 14, 2020
I could return the water cooler but, I'm planning on eventually upgrading my CPU anyway hopefully by mid 2021 or so. I really want a 10850k or 10900k when they don't want $800+ for a $530 MSRP processor. I'll think of getting the 10850k over the course of the next week because I paid over $500 for my i7 9700k last year. and $500 for a decent processor is affordable. I just sunk over 2 grand into this build already so I'd like to save money where I can.

Well if my temps are normal and I cannot overclock the processor there's no point in using another 10700 processor or changing the paste. When my rig is mostly working i'd rather just keep it that way. I'll keep my other 10700 for my wife in case she ever upgrades to 10th gen or something. Not knowing if the processor works i'd probably be lucky to get $150 for the processor even though it's just open box. Not really worth it to me and I'd rather not mess around with potentially bending pins or potentially screwing something else up just to find out if the processor works lol. I've sunk way too much into what was supposed to be $1,300 quick build so my wife could have a rig from this decade. $150 isn't really worth it to me I'd rather just keep it and use it elsewhere where it's needed.

I do have one question though. Why in ICUE does my processor temps show to be 29.3 C but yet in cpu-z or anywhere else it shows a temperature way higher than that? Is it just mesauring the temps of one of my cores by default? Or can I set it up to read all my cores at once like every other program ever? lol

edit actually it seems to be measuring my motherboard that's the only thing that comes close on HWmonitor to 29.3c my first core is 4c higher than that.

Last edited: