News This Noctua-Inspired 3D Printer Build Is Gorgeous

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
When discussing technology, I have always equated beauty with function, which by my definition, also includes reliability.
In my circles, I coined the phrase 'Technology that fails, isn't'.
I plan to do my next PC build with a so-called 'ugly' Noctua because, by reputation (both product and company), it seems quite the opposite of ugly to me.

Granted that I find all fans 'ugly' in the sense that they must eventually fail, but 10+ years is a reasonable expectation now, and hopefully 3-5 year fans have become a thing of the past.
Of course if I were to design a modern fan, it would have a push-button release on the center of the rotor hub to facilitate removing the blade for routine cleaning.

When discussing technology, I have always equated beauty with function, which by my definition, also includes reliability.
In my circles, I coined the phrase 'Technology that fails, isn't'.
I plan to do my next PC build with a so-called 'ugly' Noctua because, by reputation (both product and company), it seems quite the opposite of ugly to me.

Granted that I find all fans 'ugly' in the sense that they must eventually fail, but 10+ years is a reasonable expectation now, and hopefully 3-5 year fans have become a thing of the past.
Of course if I were to design a modern fan, it would have a push-button release on the center of the rotor hub to facilitate removing the blade for routine cleaning.
I agree, mostly. Taking apart a fan is the surest way to make it wobbly, though, so I would rather change mine every 5 years of so (I don't mind then lasting longer, though).

Reactions: bit_user

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I've never cared for the look of their fans, but it definitely lends itself to a unique look that leads to instant brand recognition, so I'll give them that. And regardless of the looks, they have a top reputation for quality.

That being said, I'm a pure function over form type of person. My philosophy is the hardware is there to do a job, not look good. If it happens to look good while doing it, that's one thing, but I don't tend to go out of my way to find things with LED's plastered all over them and whatnot.

Also, it's refreshing to see a company reacting positively to a tribute to their design, as opposed to immediate retaliation with cease and desist notifications from corporate lawyers for some sort of trademark infringement/violation.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
if I were to design a modern fan, it would have a push-button release on the center of the rotor hub to facilitate removing the blade for routine cleaning.
The best solution for dust is filters. You can even get aftermarket magnetic & adhesive filters, should your case lack them.

I thought those were a lower-end product line
depends on what ones you buy.

they have different fans for different needs.

https://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me

specifically for chromax line (taken from the page)
"In the chromax line, Noctua recommends the pressure-optimised NF-F12 for heatsinks and radiators and the airflow-optimised NF-S12A for case fan usage. "

thats for the 120mm size.
but everything except the 200mm has different needs option (which can be seen on the chromax part of the noctua site)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
depends on what ones you buy.

they have different fans for different needs.

https://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me
Ah, now I remember - I was thinking of the Redux line.

The redux product line reissues some of Noctua’s most popular, award-winning models by presenting them in streamlined packages that have been reduced to the essential core: premium quality quiet cooling solutions. All redux edition products are industry proven, time-tested models that have convinced thousands of customers and helped to found Noctua’s reputation as a first-tier supplier of premium grade low noise cooling equipment. Backed up with full 6 years manufacturer’s warranty, the redux product line provides trusted Noctua quality at an accessible price point.

They emphasize quality, but note the "accessible price point". Perhaps some of the early models cut corners on quality, in order to hit that price point.

I have no first-hand experience with that line - just going by some things I read in customer reviews and/or forums. As this was many years ago, take it with a grain of salt.