This one, or this one?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
:bounce:
Okay! Simply put, I'ma gamer and i need a new and good Graphic Card that will make me go wow when i play the games that matters today & tomorrow, etc WoW, mw2/Black ops! Also, without any lagg

So i read the best Graphic Card for the money Article, so i found x2 Cards that seemed to be very good for the money...

1. Radeon HD 5870 1 GB

Codename: RV870 "Cypress"
Process: 40 nm
Universal Shaders: 1600
Texture Units: 80
ROPs: 32
Memory Bus: 256-bit
Core Speed MHz: 850
Memory Speed MHz: 1200 (4800 effective)
DirectX/Shader Model: DX 11/SM 5.0

2. GeForce GTX 470

Codename: GF100
Process: 40 nm
Universal Shaders: 448
Texture Units: 56
ROPs: 40
Memory Bus: 320-bit
Core/Shader Speed MHz: 607 / 1215
Memory Speed MHz: 837 (3348 effective)
DirectX/Shader Model: DX 11/SM 5.0

I myself can basically nothing about computers, i mean im not TOTALLY clueless, but overall my knowledge is very tiny :p
So... I need some help here. I can spend about 390$ on a Grapic Card, which i think isnt too shabby.
If i understand this right, you cant have any RAM, Motherboard in order for a new Card to work? (correct me if im wrong).

So im gonna tell you whats inside of my computer incase you need the info.

Processor: Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.20GHz
RAM: 4GB

Hmm, i can't find wich type of motherboard i have, the information above i got by just right clicking on computer->properties. Let me know if u need the motherboard info and i shall get it!

I have a full HD monitor aswell if that has anything to do with it...

P.S. I bought my computer, it's not self made. And aloso, im getting a new case (i think thats the right word, or "box" maybe?) aswell for my computer. So if you have any good suggestions for that aswell, feel free to let me know! :) Anything from 74-104$ should be good

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hmmm

If you have a Phenom 9500, you probably have PCI-E 2.0, which means you'd be fine with almost every card out today.

As Matt listed, a 470 SOC would be great, as it gets very close to a 480 in performance. It'd destroy WoW and MW2, and I'm sure it'd also spank Black Ops easily.

A 5870 would also accomplish this, and the SOC edition does beat a reference 5870.

But are you really going to notice a difference between 130 FPS and 120? Nope.

You WILL however, notice power usage and heat levels, and the unfortunate fact is that a 470 SOC will use 50 watts more, and run about 8 degrees Celsius hotter, than a 5870. If you don't care about this, then get the 470.

Just do the "Quick Edit" function on your first post. It's one of the little boxes in the lower right corner of the post.

For MW2, the review has the Gigabyte SOC at 132 fps vs. 112 for the 5870.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hmm, first of all, what is a PCI-E 2.0? xD
And what u mention about the 470 is ~8degrees hotter then the 5870. I mean, since i bought this computer and not self build it, it usually means its not good ventilation, in other words, little fans or bad fans, in this case yes. I have i think one fan and my computer now are getting pretty hot i think.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Oh really? Mind giving me the link please? :)

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-470-soc-review/
This card does vent heat inside the case. A reference type model would vent heat outside the case. I started a thread several weeks ago asking if it was a problem to vent heat inside vs outside the case, and no one seemed to think it was a problem.

just to let you know I was in a Frys electronics the other day and purchased a galaxy gtx 470 for 250 plus tax. I think other manufacturers may follow with a similar price drop on their gtx 470s but this is all speculation. However if you live near a Frys this deal is very hard to pass up. The 5870 or gtx 470 will more than suit your needs. Also what resolution do you play at and what power supply do you have. For 250 i would go with the 470 I saw in another post that someone found a 5850 on newegg for 198 after mib, the card starts at 258 but if you can wait for the rebate you will have a 5850 for less than 200. The gtx 470 is a bit faster than a 5850 and a bit slower than a 5870 either way any of these mentioned graphics cards should put you where you need to be. If your motherboard and power supply is ample enough for the 400 dollar mark i would go with gtx 460 in sli or a 5770 in crossfire which is around the same performance of a 5870 and the sli 460s are comparable to a single gtx 480, So for around 400 dollars no matter if you go with a single card or a crossfire/sli config you will have a badass gpu setup

here is the link to the 5850 on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127500&cm_re=5850-_-14-127-500-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

I allways play on highest resolution after getting my new monitor, Samsung SyncMaster BX2335. What do you mean with "wich power supply do i have" Im not english so its maybe a word i alrdy know but dont know the translation of it? :p

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hmm, if it vent heat OUTSIDE the case, what does it really mean? (Sorry if im slow xD)
Does it make it more cooler, or? I dunno..

the Power Supply of your computer the (PSU) also what motherboard do you have, you might benefit from a crossfire or sli configuration but if your looking for a single card a would probly go for the 5870 for max settings

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Bare with me. I think i know what the Pwr Supply is, its were u put in ur power cable into the computer, yeah?
And I dont know what Motherboard i have, do you know how i could check it up please?
And i think i can only afford a single card, dual cards is over the 360$ mark, no?

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
are you overclocking that slow ass phenom quad.?
amd chip then got ATI card, my opinion..
my personal preference is the nVidia gtx470 oc'd. lol
you planning on sli or crossfire too.?
Well, i will pay max 360$ dollars for a Card. And Sli/CF cards is = double Graphic Cards, yes? And how i understand it, those costs a bit more, and i dont really need it to be THAT awesome! :p

I would say it's time to figure out which Power Supply Unit you have (PSU, where you plug in the power cord). Newer cards demand more power and an older system may not have enough power. If you have an owner's manual, it will be listed as "xxx watts".

Jesus just get a gtx 470, end of story 360 will likely nto leave you enough budget for a 5870 and if you can barley understand what im saying and not provide info on mobo and psu than just get a single gtx 470 and be done with it

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Hehe :p Yeah then i knew what it was all along, lol. Hmm, think i ditched the manual tho lol, any other way to check it?

yes but moreover we need to know how many amps on a 12v rail you get, if you have a 250w power supply which you got with an old dell for example you wont be able to run anything more than a gt240 so this is very important, have you ran any other vid cards in the past?

yeah open your case and find out the make and model of it, oftentimes specs are even listed on the side you should be able to see its amperage and wattage

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

lol mate.
Well, i could push it abit more over the 360$ mark ofc. But i just want some good info i could rely on before making my decision...

lol well i would say overall the gtx 470 is a better buy right now, supposedly it is better than a 5850 and slighty worse than a 5870 in most situations, however I think a gtx 470 represents the best value in that price range right now, if you can afford a 5870 than go for that but otherwise the gtx 470 will more than suit your needs but you will probly needs to overclock you processor if you want to squeeze all the juice out of your graphics card. So the 50-100 dollars that you save by not buying a 5870 can be used towards an aftermarket cpu cooler, or maybe even a processor upgrade, but you already have a quad core so i would just look into overclocking. However without knowing your motherboard, ram, and the rest of your system there is no telling how stable an overclock might be, and if you have a low end mother board than you might not be able to overclock much at all. This is why all this information is important and pertinent when asking a simple question such as what graphics card do i buy on here.

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

This is a Packard Bell, i've never run any other cards in it. All is original

krayde

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

Are we talking about the GTX 470 or GTX 470 SOC, or are they the same? And what do i do when i overclock my processor? :p

well i can suggest a powersupply upgrade as well, is that something that you are looking to buy? becuase it sounds like the one you have is insufficient, if it is the same power supply that came with your system than i would say 99% chance it will not work.

I would never pay extra money for an overclocked version of a card just get the cheapest gtx 470 you can find and overclock it yourself with a free utility such as msi afterburner. Processor can be overclocked in the bios, but again, without knowing your motherboard I cannot direct you any further with that. Also you do not want to just start overclocking it if you have no clue what your doing, I would start a new thread in the appropriate forum for that to learn about overclocking. It involves incrementing and testing, there is no "fool proof" method although it is not hard. Also you looking at a marginal fram increase for the superclocked version which usually increases the cost of the graphics card significantly. Go with the cheapest gtx 470 you can find and overclock it yourself, if not the superclocked version will not be a whole lot better than the standard version and not worth it in my opinion.

More importantly you need to get a new power supply and video card than worry about overclocking your cpu and gpu