This operation requires an interactive window station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgunw

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Hello,

I was trying to install drivers for my new Logitech Premium 350 USB head set. After it tried to install the drivers this message came up:

Windows encounters a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

USB Composite Device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

------

I am running Windows Vista 64-bit, and have checked the website and it says the software is automatically built into windows.

Thanks for your time

topgunw

TurtleMaster

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Hello,

Have you ever solved this issue? I'm having the same issue trying to install a Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse (Bluetooth). Nor Logitech or Microsoft was able to solve it. I already tried to unintall and reinstall the software (Setpoint v3.3) several times.

Please tell me what steps you took in case you solved this problem.

Thanks

topgunw

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Ahhhh... yes.. the wonderful interactive window station message. There is one solution and one solution only. I went in depth into trying to figure out what the message meant. This was really hard especially since microsoft themselves didn't even know what it meant. The error is caused because obviously the software requires an interactive window station to install. However, you don't have the ability to do this if you are running into this error. The reasoning is complicated and I don't want to get into it. However, you can trick the computer into installing it without one. In order to do this you must reinstall your copy of windows, while leaving the device plugged in. Windows will automatically recognize it and install the drivers for you without running and install window, therefore bypassing the need for an interactive window station.

I know this isnt the solution you wanted to hear, but it's the only one. Sorry man, but good luck on getting your hardware to work.

justinb

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I hit this same problem with USB devices not being installed, Windows found but could not install driver.

Simple resolution is to disable System Restore on C: ! It is doing 'clever' things with drivers etc so that Windows can't find them... As can be seen by the multiple copies of the usbstor.* files (base usb drivers) under System32 and subfolders.

I disabled this, replugged my usb pen drive and it found the driver and installed it... I'm now going to reinstall a load of patches I believed had installed yesterday, prob lost in the system.

TurtleMaster

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
Hello Justin,

I've just tested your idea but unfortunelly doesn't work. I've disabled System Restore for all drivers (not only on C:) and the stupid message still appears.

Bluetooth HID Compilant Device

I think I will use the USB Mouse until the day I decide to reformat the machine :-(

Thanks for your input and for trying to help me. :)

gigapede

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I know this is a really old thread, but I just experienced this problem in my Windows 7 64 bit installation of my motherboard's sound drivers. I got the message a few times in a row while attempting to install the driver first from the original file and then from the device manager. When I disabled =and= uninstalled the generic sound driver I was then able to install the Realtek sound driver that's made for my motherboard. I hope this helps some poor souls sitting at silent monitors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS