[SOLVED] "This PC" crashing but other folders can be accessed

Solution
Let's think about what we've done so far.

It crashes in normal mode.
It does not crash in Safe mode.

So it has to be software or drivers.

We've did a clean boot which eliminates the software as being the issue, meaning that it's probably a driver.

If it crashed in safe mode then I could understand the issue being the phone, but it didn't.

I still think it has to be a driver. You did try disabling Bitdefender didn't you? I also see a BlueStacks driver. I'm not sure if it could conflict with the phone or not.

Also look in EventViewer and see if can point you in any direction with the errors it lists.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, what have you tried to fix it?

If you haven't already, try the DISM and SFC commands.
Post the result here.

On the left side of Explorer, can you open all of the drives with crashing? I seen you open 2 in the video. What about the others?

gardenman

Splendid
This likely means the issue is either 3rd party software, or some type of driver. Safe mode is basically Windows without 3rd party software or 3rd party drivers.

Go back into normal boot (turn Safe Boot off) and lets try a "Clean Boot". This is different from a Safe Boot. A clean boot is basically all 3rd party drivers loaded as normal but without 3rd party software.

To do the clean boot, you disable all startup software and 3rd party services. Be careful and do NOT disable any Microsoft services. Be sure to check the "Hide all Microsoft Services" when you come to that step.

Full instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

If you can open "This PC" while in the Clean Boot, then it means that one of the programs that you disabled for the clean boot is what is causing the issue. Re-enable them a few at a time, reboot, until you can find the culprit.

If you still can't open "This PC" in Clean Boot, then return to normal boot (re-enable all software) and we'll have to look at drivers.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Its happening on clean boot. I noticed its happening when i have my phone plugged in to usb. It has been there for many months as I use it as second display to monitor stats. When I remove it "This PC" opens fine but when i have it plugged in it crashes. Why would it suddenly start behaving like this? Its been plugged in for months with no issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Program should show the phone driver as it shows all installed 3rd party drivers.
What make/model phone is it?

Reactions: brryronnie

gardenman

Splendid
I'm running thin on ideas now but here's a few more that you can try:

Try temporarily disabling any 3rd party Antivirus that you may have.

Download ShellExView and run it.
Click on Options and check "Hide all Microsoft Extensions".
Disable all of the 3rd party extensions that are listed and reboot. See if that helps. If not, re-enable them.

Have you tried another cable?

Reactions: brryronnie
Aug 13, 2020
This issue might occur due to a corrupted system file. We suggest that you try to run the System File Checker (SFC) scan again; and then after, try using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. The DISM will resolve some damaged or corrupted system files that SFC can't repair.
We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
This issue might occur due to a corrupted system file. We suggest that you try to run the System File Checker (SFC) scan again; and then after, try using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. The DISM will resolve some damaged or corrupted system files that SFC can't repair.
We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.
It has already been done and mentioned in the 1st and 2nd reply to this thread.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Disable all of the 3rd party extensions that are listed and reboot. See if that helps. If not, re-enable them.

Ok I will try this and report back..
I did try another cable and also another phone, its happening on all phones and cables.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Still having the same issue. I tried with 2 other phones also (my new phone and a very old blackberry) both showing the same issue of crashing when going in to "This PC".

gardenman

Splendid

We've did a clean boot which eliminates the software as being the issue, meaning that it's probably a driver.

If it crashed in safe mode then I could understand the issue being the phone, but it didn't.

I still think it has to be a driver. You did try disabling Bitdefender didn't you? I also see a BlueStacks driver. I'm not sure if it could conflict with the phone or not.

Also look in EventViewer and see if can point you in any direction with the errors it lists.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
it could be the driver the phone tries to load when connected to PC. So you may not find it on current PC.

Doing a clean boot might show you if its Bitdefender

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

it could be the driver the phone tries to load when connected to PC. So you may not find it on current PC.

Doing a clean boot might show you if its Bitdefender

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
What is this luminoncore iddcx adapter? I saw this while checking device manager, removing that seem to fix the issue. Googling didnt give any solid answer as to what it is or why its there.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not often the user of the PC asks us what something is on their PC. Normally its the other way.

Normally we find them but we hadn't run anything that can see inside your device manager. I wonder if speccy would have seen it, the sysnative collection app may have but its more for BSOD problems, it didn't come to mind right away.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
How are using your phone as a 2nd display? What software are you using to do this? Are you using an adapter?

Apparently the "LuminonCore IDDCX Adapter" is used to do things like this (create a 2nd display). Reference.
I am using a software called Splashtop Xdisplay. The display seem to work fine even without it, i wonder why it was even there and the interesting thing is it was shown in Display adapters and when i googled most of the results were related to mining and hashing so i thought it could be a miner in my pc without my knowledge. Any way. everything is working fine right now after its removal. Thanks for the help everyone, I wouldnt have looked deeper inside drivers if it wasnt for you guys.