This Pricey Robot’s Only Job Is to Be Adorable

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
" ...it expects Lovot to land in the $5,000-$6,000 range. That means Lovot may cost almost double that of Sony’s Aibo robot dog. That may partially be because Lovot will only sell in pairs of two."

A bit misleading. Are batteries bought in packs of 10 (instead of singly) considered to be suddenly 10 times more expensive? Or are you just getting 10 of them. This seems to be saying that the price of one is $2,500 to $3,000 which means it is NOT double the price of Aibo. You may have to spend double the money in order to get 2 of them, but buyers could co-op and each take one.

Brian28

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016

Most of the time when buying batteries, you will need those other 9 batteries at some point. If you wanted to buy a bicycle, but they only came in packs of two, and you didn't have somebody to share it with, then it would be absolutely fair to say the bicycle was more expensive because you paid for two of them and can only use one. Even if you manage to sell it on Craiglist, you won't recover much of the original cost.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Whether you need or want more than one of an item isn't important to my point. What I'm saying is: Paying double and getting 2 is not the same as paying double and getting only 1. I'm not justifying having to buy 2, or supporting it in any way. It's just misleading to equate the price of getting 1 robot with the price of getting 2 robots. Yes in the end you are paying double, but that doesn't make the price of each robot double, it just increases the total cost because you are buying 2 of them.