Question This question is for those with deep knowledge towards ATX and server PSUs also for miners!?

Dec 11, 2021
I want to use an HP 1200w server PSU unit(with breakout board) inside my atx desktop case but I'm not sure if my itx motherboard can comunicate with the breakout board so that when I press the power button(momentary) on the case it turns on the PSU!?
Also when I go into windows settings and select say (shutdown, restart,sleep)
Will it recognize those commands and act like a normal ATXpsu?

The reason for using a server psu is they are extremely high quality, small form factor and super high capacity also dirt cheap ;)

kanewolf

Titan
I want to use an HP 1200w server PSU unit(with breakout board) inside my atx desktop case but I'm not sure if my itx motherboard can comunicate with the breakout board so that when I press the power button(momentary) on the case it turns on the PSU!?
Also when I go into windows settings and select say (shutdown, restart,sleep)
Will it recognize those commands and act like a normal ATXpsu?

The reason for using a server psu is they are extremely high quality, small form factor and super high capacity also dirt cheap ;)
I think many of your questions are tied to the breakout harness. Provide a link to the harness to help us ...

Reactions: Arbër1041
Dec 11, 2021
I think many of your questions are tied to the breakout harness. Provide a link to the harness to help us ...
Yeah the question above is a bit"scrambled" to make it easier for you, (I want the pico to power the 24pin only) nothing else!
So can I power both the (CPU and GPU) from the breakout board?
In my mind this should work with a 6pin PCIe to 8pin ATX adapter cable.
But I digress...

Link to the breakout board:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Port-6-...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
To make it easier for you to understand my issue, I have set up the server PSU in my case HP 1200watt unit with the appropriate breakout board also combined with the PICO PSU which is going to provide power to the board!
(I want the pico to power the 24pin only) nothing else!
So can I power both the (CPU and GPU) from the breakout board directly since both require 12v plus ground?
In my mind this should work with a 6pin PCIe to 8pin ATX adapter cable.
But I digress...
What are your thoughts?

Does the use of two different PSUs cause any issues!?

The PICO is going to get its power input 12v from the breakout board also!

Dec 11, 2021
With that the Pico also has to power 75w to the PCI-e slot when there's a GPU installed.
Yes the PICO that I have chosen is about 160w output.

I am not going to use the 4pin ATX CPU cable coming from the PICO because the pico doesn't have enaugh juice to power the ryzen 9!

I want the CPU and GPU both powered from the server PSU only!!

Pico is only going to power light things like 75w pcie slot, HDDs, fans....etc.

I'm planning to run this build:

Ryzen 9 5950x
Rx6900xt
32gb ddr4 3200mhz
ASRock Fatal1ty b450 itx
Liquid cooled

Dec 11, 2021