Question This RAM is driving me insane (b350m pro vdh -3200mhz 32Gb)

Pablo_1993

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Hi!

I recently upgraded my ram and cpu(Previous Ryzen5 1400 and 2x4gb ram) to a Ryzen 5 5600 and 32GB 3200Mhz ram. The cpu update went well with a bios update but I cant get the ram to work.
RAM= Corsair LPX 2x16 Gb 3200Mhz CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
When I power on the pc, first the cpu led stays on and then the dram led turns and stays on and i cant even make it to bios.
Things I've tried:
- cmos reset(removed the mobo battery for like 15min)
-cmos reset by jumpig the JBAT1 connector
-manually entering the ram settings in the mobo(3200mhz, 16-20-20-20-38 1,35V(using the old ram to boot, saving, flip psu switch, swap ram, turn on pc))
-just using 1 new ram stick and still the same problem

When I swap back to the old ram everything works fine. What can I do?
My Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600
MSI B350M PRO-VDH (MS-7A38)
AMD Radeon RX 480
2x4Gb ram

Cheers!

Hey there,

Have you cleared CMOS after the bios update? This is essential, as this very type of thing can occur if you don't.

Your Mobo QVL does not have these DIMMs on it, so there is no guarantee they will work sadly. If you can't get them to work manually at rated speed, as suggested by @Lutfij , then work back from there. Try 2933/3000mhz. This is often a limitation of either the CPU IMC, the mobo support, or unsupported DIMMs, that just may not work.

Pablo_1993

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Which BIOS version are you for your motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Can you manually set the frequency(only, not timings or voltage) in BIOS to DDR4-3200MHz?
I've installed the 7A38vAL3(Beta version). I seem to have done it properly since before the update the processor wouldnt work and now it does.

PSU thermaltake 530W . Dont know the year bc I bought my pc used in 2021.

Yes I can manually set the frequency.

Pablo_1993

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Hey there,

Have you cleared CMOS after the bios update? This is essential, as this very type of thing can occur if you don't.

Your Mobo QVL does not have these DIMMs on it, so there is no guarantee they will work sadly. If you can't get them to work manually at rated speed, as suggested by @Lutfij , then work back from there. Try 2933/3000mhz. This is often a limitation of either the CPU IMC, the mobo support, or unsupported DIMMs, that just may not work.
I did clear the cmos after the update yes.
Ok I will try and report back.
Thanks for your help everyone!!!

logainofhades

Titan
Yea, that PSU does not scream quality to me. Only Thermaltake units that are any good are the toughpower golds. Only 530w I see, on PCPP, is a smart 80+ white. Not a good unit, at all. I do believe this is a ram incompatiblity issue though. That board doesn't list any Corsair ram, as being compatible.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350M-PRO-VDH/support#mem

Pablo_1993

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Posting from my phone.
After only setting the ram freq in the bios, the pc turns on but the cpu led turns on aswell and nothing really happens. Just a black screen and fans running at full power.

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to carry over the processor and ram over to a known working AMD motherboard(with the right BIOS version ofc) and see if you're able to hit DDR4-3200MHz, if you can't then it's possible your processor might very well be the issue. If you're able to hit that advertised speed, then the issue is with your motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS