Question This socket allows you to install M.2 (NGFF) SSD

Aug 24, 2022
M.2 socket 3
This socket allows you to install M.2 (NGFF) SSD
modules.
M.2(SOCKET3)
228022110 2260 2242
• The M.2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 mode and SATA mode M Key design and
type 2242 / 2260 / 2280 / 22110 storage devices.
• The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the
SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed

The above info is provided by ASUS TUF GAMING B450M-PLUS II, frankly I've been very, very confused about the info’s. They stated it allows you to install M.2 (NGFF) SSD, NGFF SSD comes with M B key then they go on with The M.2 socket supports PCIe 3.0 x4 mode and SATA mode M Key design and that suppose to me NVMe slot. My question is here… is this slot compatible with NGFF and NVMe? I’ve got very confused?

Finally they stated The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA_5/6 ports, and therefore the
SATA_5/6 ports cannot be used when an M.2 device is installed, but where are the 5/6 ports? They don’t exist?

Is anyone can shed some lights on this, thanks in advanced

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
NGFF just means next generation form factor.

M.2 is also a form factor.

What they are telling you is that the M.2 slot on this board accepts drives that use the SATA (B Key) protocol or NVMe (M Key) B+M means it supports both.

SATA ports are connected to the chipset via PCIe. Those lanes are shared, so when the M.2 slot is in use, it may disable SATA ports.

There are 6 ports. 4 on the bottom edge, and 2 mounted horizontally next to the ATX power connector. Most people won't use more than 2 ports, so it makes sense to have ports 1 and 2 in a location where they can be neatly hooked up.

Aug 24, 2022
NGFF just means next generation form factor.

M.2 is also a form factor.

What they are telling you is that the M.2 slot on this board accepts drives that use the SATA (B Key) protocol or NVMe (M Key) B+M means it supports both.

SATA ports are connected to the chipset via PCIe. Those lanes are shared, so when the M.2 slot is in use, it may disable SATA ports.

There are 6 ports. 4 on the bottom edge, and 2 mounted horizontally next to the ATX power connector. Most people won't use more than 2 ports, so it makes sense to have ports 1 and 2 in a location where they can be neatly hooked up.

This is great and thank you for your speedy replies. I found the 5/6 ports. It would be helpful if they group that up with the other 4 ports, in-fact 5 \ 6 are not even mentioned on the diagram at all from Asus.

My understanding of the B+M key would only be applied onto (NGFF) SSD, The M key normally only applies to NVMe. There are so many posts on here that are complaining that the motherboard or the Bios couldn’t pick up the NVMe drive therefore I thought it may be only compatible with (NGFF) SSD.

Example in general: Many laptops and desktops will only support one single type on either (NGFF) or NVMe, if it is (NGFF) they will provide B+M key slot, if NVMe they will supply M key slot. That also applies to many enclosures that are only compatible with one or the other. Dual compatibility I have yet to come across and that is why I got very confused with them.

Your input is a great help and I certainly will try both with the B+M key and the M key. Very much appreciated and thank you so much. Pete