[SOLVED] This System for Video Editing? Suggestions?

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,
What do you guys think of this system for video editing?
Also: I know nothing about motherboards and what I need in a motherboard - what difference does a more expensive one make?
The reason I haven't added a GPU to this build is because I already have a rx 460 which will serve my purposes a little while longer at which stage I might be able to get a 3060.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $294.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $126.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory |-
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $89.99 @ Adorama
Storage | Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | $84.99 @ Newegg
Video Card | Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card |-
Case | NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case | $69.98 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $104.99 @ Best Buy
Operating System | Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit | $108.78 @ Other World Computing
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $880.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-20 10:31 EDT-0400 |

Last edited:
Solution
I might try making you spring for a higher quality psu.

That psu is fine, and a pretty good one for mid-low end systems, but I'd suggest going with a lower wattage, higher quality psu, like a tx650M or RM650i.

What difference does a more expensive motherboard make?
That's a pretty hard question.

They are more rugged, usually look better with cooler heatsinks, or even screens on the super expensive ones. they sometimes have backplates or front plates
But those are aestethics.

The main difference would be in what the chipset can do, and the VRMS.
Ryzen cpus don't consume tons of power, so the VRM's are actually not a major factor, but it is nice knowing you aren't getting a very bad VRM.

The chipset difference:
Between B450, B550 and...

That psu is fine, and a pretty good one for mid-low end systems, but I'd suggest going with a lower wattage, higher quality psu, like a tx650M or RM650i.

They are more rugged, usually look better with cooler heatsinks, or even screens on the super expensive ones. they sometimes have backplates or front plates

Ryzen cpus don't consume tons of power, so the VRM's are actually not a major factor, but it is nice knowing you aren't getting a very bad VRM.

The chipset difference:
Between B450, B550 and X570 there are a few differences (DONT GET X470. It's literally more expensive B450 with the same basic featureset.)

B450 is the older generation, and supports overclocking, and some number of pci-e lanes.
B550 is the newest midend chipset, and support the same features + pci-e gen 4 instead of 3, but! sometimes they only have a few gen 4 slots, and a couple gen 3 ones, since the chipset gets a small amount of lanes to the cpu. That also makes it usually have less usb ports, but really that depends on the board.
B550 also natively supports 2.5gig ethernet, instead of standard 1 gig, so it's easier to incorporate in board.
NOT ALL BOARDS HAVE 2.5GIG THO.

X570 is a souped up version of B550, without the chipset pcie limitation, usually netting it all pcie gen 4 slots, more, higher speed usb ports and I'm pretty sure all X570 boards support 2.5gig.
It also has a small fan on the chipset, which is loud and will 100% break and make the board die way before it's supposed to.
Not recommended.

If you need pci-e gen 4, B550 is very solid.
If you don't, B450 is still of good value.

other than that, your system looks pretty good. Though i'd check if you actually needed 64 gigs of ram, since while video editing takes a lot of ram, it depends on the size of your projects.

Solution

rdpc

Prominent
Dec 20, 2019

The chipset difference:
Between B450, B550 and X570 there are a few differences (DONT GET X470. It's literally more expensive B450 with the same basic featureset.)

B450 is the older generation, and supports overclocking, and some number of pci-e lanes.
B550 is the newest midend chipset, and support the same features + pci-e gen 4 instead of 3, but! sometimes they only have a few gen 4 slots, and a couple gen 3 ones, since the chipset gets a small amount of lanes to the cpu. That also makes it usually have less usb ports, but really that depends on the board.
B550 also natively supports 2.5gig ethernet, instead of standard 1 gig, so it's easier to incorporate in board.
NOT ALL BOARDS HAVE 2.5GIG THO.

X570 is a souped up version of B550, without the chipset pcie limitation, usually netting it all pcie gen 4 slots, more, higher speed usb ports and I'm pretty sure all X570 boards support 2.5gig.
It also has a small fan on the chipset, which is loud and will 100% break and make the board die way before it's supposed to.
Not recommended.

If you need pci-e gen 4, B550 is very solid.
If you don't, B450 is still of good value.

other than that, your system looks pretty good. Though i'd check if you actually needed 64 gigs of ram, since while video editing takes a lot of ram, it depends on the size of your projects.

Thanks a lot this is very helpful. Yeah I was wondering about the PSU too, I thought the higher the wattage the better lol. I'll go for the lower wattage higher quality one! So the motherboard I've chosen is a good one to go for?

Thanks a lot this is very helpful. Yeah I was wondering about the PSU too, I thought the higher the wattage the better lol. I'll go for the lower wattage higher quality one! So the motherboard I've chosen is a good one to go for?
Yes, as long as you don't expect needing or wanting a pci-e gen 4 thing in the near future.

P.S
That psu is a actually not a bad unit or anything, it's a solid choice for mid to low end pcs. just, it's not suitable for the higher end ones.
I think that it's 650w and 750w capacities should be eliminated since anyone buying a system that consumes that much power should never use such a low end piece.