This Week's 'Cool' News: Nov. Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]malveaux[/nom]The art work is really nice.[/citation]
To bad the game looks like a PS1 game with higher res textures. You would think they could increase the poly count, and use newer DX versions at higher settings, rather than making the game look like crap for everyone.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
lets see:
-wrath of the lich king sells 2.8 million, wow cool; are that many people really addicted to it?
-ipod firmware upgrade, sweet now i have more reasons to buy something i dont need.
-gmail now has themes, cool i guess, what does it have to do with hardware?
-core i7 now in desktops, that was a little predictable; its nice knowing the price of core2 desktops will go down slightly.
-verizon employees looked at some of Obama's call history from a few years ago... thats funny.
-yahoo CEO steps down, intriguing, wonder why?
-toms survey, why do they want to know my purchasing habits? if anything i would think they would want to have opinions on how to improve the site.

G

You guys probably didn't even touched World of warcraft by the looks of it. Don't judge before you played it. ;)

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Tasty[/nom]You guys probably didn't even touched World of warcraft by the looks of it. Don't judge before you played it.[/citation]

I played it for a few months. Ironically, I spend most of my gaming time playing PS1 games on my PC with AA and texture filtering at high resolutions (not to mention various shader effects).

I'd much prefer a game use my processing power for AI, Physics, etc, rather than graphics. But there is a certain limit. When Megaman Legends (a game that's over 10 years old) looks better on my PC than WoW, I would think you'd need to step it up.

Not to mention that it's an MMO, so little processing is being done client side other than the graphics and IO. You would think I could benefit from a nice Video Card, and processor to get a higher poly count, with some of the improvements from DX9.

G

Who cares if the game looks like a Playstation 1 game? I've seen the game played and it doesn't look that bad in motion especially if you crank the settings all the way up plus who the hell cares about graphics? Graphics do not make a game fun... a game being fun is what makes a game fun. Crysis looks amazing but the game is crap and outside of being astounded by the level of detail I wish I hadn't spent money on it.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]HeXploiT[/nom]Poor suckers get to pay for the same game 13 times a year.How cool is that?[/citation]

If it is up to the free willed consumer, very cool.

G

Blizzard has managed to develop some amazing titles if you never played the game to its fullest you have no true reason to complain or call its users names. There is a reason to its success. Ive personally played the game to its fullest the found my self bored & quit for 4-8months at a time waiting for new content. Blizzard manages to develop some interesting things some bad but most good.

Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, WoW..... all great games and no DRM. Blizzard > EA Games. any day.

WoW is addictive as *ell & most people don't take the time to say hey its time for a break or I need to get IRL stuff done first.

PS: There are companies in this world who pay people to play WoW all day so they can say their #1,2,3,4,5 in the IRL World of WOW.
Be scared.. be very very scared.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
The Lich King expansion seems far superior to the 1st expansion BC. There are a bunch of new quest types and new way to get faction reputation that are much better than the old ways. I think it is pretty neat and well worth it.
People that make fun of the graphics just don't get it or haven't seen it with higher resolution and eye candy.
People that make fun of monthly payments can keep buying their $60 Xbox games and stoofoo as far as I'm concerned.

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]lets see:-wrath of the lich king sells 2.8 million, wow cool; are that many people really addicted to it?-ipod firmware upgrade, sweet now i have more reasons to buy something i dont need.-gmail now has themes, cool i guess, what does it have to do with hardware?-core i7 now in desktops, that was a little predictable; its nice knowing the price of core2 desktops will go down slightly.-verizon employees looked at some of Obama's call history from a few years ago... thats funny.-yahoo CEO steps down, intriguing, wonder why?-toms survey, why do they want to know my purchasing habits? if anything i would think they would want to have opinions on how to improve the site.[/citation]
well said brother afrobacon

SpectreCGR

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Paco[/nom]Blizzard has managed to develop some amazing titles if you never played the game to its fullest you have no true reason to complain or call its users names.[/citation]

WoW is a crap game and you are a dork.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]SpectreCGR[/nom]WoW is a crap game and you are a dork.[/citation]

Crap games don't sell 2.8 million copies within the first 24 hours of release. Like it or not, you cannot deny its success around the world.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]Crap games don't sell 2.8 million copies within the first 24 hours of release. Like it or not, you cannot deny its success around the world.[/citation]
Success != quality. Look at how popular Runescape with the kiddies, but the game just plain sucks in every way.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Success != quality. Look at how popular Runescape with the kiddies, but the game just plain sucks in every way.[/citation]

Perhaps from your perspective. With a game as massively successful, any attempts to state otherwise is plain foolish. WoW has been out for 4 years now, and it is more popular than ever before. That cannot be said about any other MMO that has hit the market.

Like I said before, you cannot deny WoWs success.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]iLLmexican[/nom]The fact it sold 2.8 million copies only tells me there are 2.8 million suckers some where out there.[/citation]

It actually states that there are 2.8 million people who wanted to continue to enjoy a good product.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
The term, "good" can be applied to any product that has, in the case of WoW, sustained a large market share for an extended period of time. To call WoW players addicts is extremely short-sighted. Casual players that enjoy the product are hardly classified as addicts.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

I agree, however I am amazed at the amount of people that are addicted to WoW. There are are a lot of people at my school that show up for class all red eyed and yawning from playing WoW till 3 in the morning

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]physx7[/nom]I agree, however I am amazed at the amount of people that are addicted to WoW. There are are a lot of people at my school that show up for class all red eyed and yawning from playing WoW till 3 in the morning[/citation]

Indeed. Unfortunately in todays society, there are a number of things one can become addicted to. The sad part is that most of these addictions are well within ones ability to control and use/consume in moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.