This Week's Hot News - April 20th to 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

taruncharles

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The interface is good..It is fast and easy to browse articles..

The short blurb explaining about article is a little hard to read. The words are just conjested. Maybe it can be aligned in a more easy to read manner..

And you could also have an option for "hiding" and "showing" the side bar similar to "hide or show the right column" in forums..

Other than these its really cool.

G

No! Its a bad tool. I need to see everything and like a hunter or a food searcher - to find what I want out of many options. This tool makes me feel like I am losing something or like I am manipulated or like I am in a closed small room. Please don't launch this tool. You can use it in your warehouse though.

bobc

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Good tool. I like the idea of having a sort of virtual booklet of related articles while being able to dig into any post and then moving on to the next one.

G

like the rest have said, fast and I particularly like that I find it easy to read. Usability of the site is increased too as I dont have to always search for every individual article.

the thread topics can also add versatility to the articles as they can be cross categorized that way.

i enjoyed the browsing experience much more than the usual site.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I really liked the tool.
The only problem I found were the titles of the stories in the sidebar; you cant really tell what it is saying, but the description fixes that (sort of)........

G

Wow, clearly a well written tool, it impresses with it's lightning response-times and slick interface. And best of all, I expect its tragic flaw can be fixed rather easily. Like others have said, its painfully difficult to skim the cramped summary text for each article. And the headlines (which is what 90% of people are going to skim anyway) don't pop. But I expect:

1) If the headline font size were boosted 2 or 3 points, and maybe emboldened, they would be much more readable without taking up much extra space.

2) A simple control were added that allowed you to widen the size of the tool (I happen to have a brand new 24" monitor, and I was dissapointed I couldn't use my desktop real-estate), that the tool's slightly claustrophobic feeling would vanish.

drealar

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Cool

A few comments, mostly on the interface rather than usage/performance:

1)Agreed with LiquidCake with the resizeability of the tool.

2)Maybe a revision on the font used. Comic sans looks nicer for a cramped up text, for my preference at least. Just my opinion.

Have some other ideas, feature wise. But I guess we'll see how this initial design works a few more weeks. Won't be good if too many feature stuffed in that small column too early, coz it might lose it's original purpose :p

Verdauga

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I dislike it. It really goes against the purpose of this segment. I like coming here, reading the little bit about news stories, and then deciding if I want to read more. Now it feels like it just links all these stories together, throwing the whole thing in my lap, which if I wanted, I would just browse through the actually news stories. And the sidebar is garbage. It's very hard to read. Take away JogTheWeb!

bobc

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
@Verdauga: I don't quite get the issue. Its like adding a GPS to your car. You don't have to use it and it doesn't remove anything from your driving. Its simply convienient :) and jogtheweb provides a means to the site to present related information.

Verdauga

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
@bobc
Except I do have to use it if it replaces the old way of Weekly News. Or to be more specific, it forces me to choose between two options that I don't enjoy, either use the product or not read that article which I used to enjoy. For clarification, I don't mind the product, I just dislike its use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.