This Week's Hot News: Oct. Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Well of course mac offers that,it's the only god damn thing they're going on.
Secondly,they charge 2x the price for pure profit,surely some of that can be invested in those who actually give a crap,maybe they just think their computers are old and they invest 6,000 dollars into a new dell or mac laptop.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Console gamers, please!!! learn how to copy a disc. Its not hard you know. You can buy DVD replicators that dont even need a PC to do the job. If you dont copy games, you mess with the balance of the ecosystem. We need to level the field of profitability, otherwise gaming on the PC will only be a relic of the late 19th century.

Please console gamers!

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
You do realize even if console gamers pirated games in the same volume of PC games developers would still make more money selling console games due to the increased volume.

G

Haha...late 19th century? Like pinball, you mean? Pretty sure PC gaming started around 100 years after that...

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
[citation][nom]timaahhh[/nom]You do realize even if console gamers pirated games in the same volume of PC games developers would still make more money selling console games due to the increased volume.[/citation]
You do realise volume has no correlation to profitability when piracy is in the mix?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Console gamers, please!!! learn how to copy a disc. Its not hard you know. You can buy DVD replicators that dont even need a PC to do the job.[/citation]

1. Pirating console games isn't that easy.
2. PC developers should be using more services like Steam, because it's much more difficult to crack , or create a cracked version of , a Steam game than using a few apps, a mod chip, and a DVD burner.

G

I think everyone just needs to release their games via Steam. That's how I purchase most of my games. Especially the ones that have the limited activation them like Bioshock and Crysis Warhead. The system works great, and has worked great ever since it was released with Half-Life 2 nearly 3 years ago.

Thurin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Will PC games ever day? As long as there are PCs, then the answer is never.

don't you mean DIE here ? :p And as for the piracy killing the pc gaming industry ?

Offer more demos of the games that are being released and piracy will decline...

Plus there is no extreme difference in the amount of sales, as most software pirates only pirate to try a game and if they like it a lot end up buying it anyway.

Steps to avoid piracy:

1 make a GOOD game
2 make a demo or trial available to the public
3 lower game retail prices

especially step three will rapidly exterminate piracy as if a game would cost 10 or 20 bucks instead of 50-100 people would not mind buying the occasional crappy game as it only set them back 10-20 bucks...

my two cents ...

G

Why doesn't anyone put 2 and 2 together? PC Gaming's decline is not because of piracy IMO. It's because of a large increase in console gaming. That with World of Warcraft thrown in. MMOs are now sucking up more and more time from single player games. I guess the trend is... if you can't seem to make a game good enough to deter people from WoW or consoles then blame piracy.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]8 core CPUs, Teraflop GPUs, i think we'll just emulate the PS3 soon.[/citation]
You do know the Emulation usually takes multiple times the processing power of the Machine being emulated right? Not to mention some serious coding.

[citation][nom]Thurin[/nom]
Steps to avoid piracy:

1 make a GOOD game
2 make a demo or trial available to the public
3 lower game retail prices[/citation]
The issue is the ease of piracy with most PC games, while "fighting" it usually only harms the end user.

Sure, those factors will deter Average Joe from pirating the game. But Average Joe occasionally downloads MP3s with Limewire, and is far from being the biggest offender. The Fact is that, for those that have some amount of experience, it's easy to get just about any new game.

I think Steam is such a great idea. It combines many great services, and at the same time it's very non-restrictive.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I hope both of you realize that your both idiots.

@timaahh: Explain to me how pirating a console game results in more pc games being made?

@cruiseoveride: Two wrongs don't make a right, two rights make a right. You should be urging your fellow pc gamers to stop pirating instead of the other way around. I can't believe your so dumb. Thats like asking Intel to start failing in order to balance the ecosystem instead of asking AMD to do better.

And 19th century is 1800s u idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.