This Week's Hot News: Oct. Week 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It’s time to get intimidated by Nehalem.
Not that it’s going to be a flop on the contrary that Nehalem will raise to the expectations.
We sew a while ago when NVIDIA thought they “own” the market what the prices of 260gtx and 280gtx would have been, and how 4870 brought them down.
A full fledged Nehalem quad core initial price could be very high and it could stay there due to lack of competition.
A fierce competition will be more beneficial for the costumers.

cstrike

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
In Romania a 50mbit/sec Internet connection with static or dynamic ip costs 10$ a month with unlimited traffic, a telephone and cable TV.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
cstrike, that romanian 50mbit/sec is only Metronet (inside the ISP's network)
Outside the ISP's network it's only 4mbits... which is CRAP.

Comcast's 50mbit/sec is EVERYWHERE.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]cstrike[/nom]In Romania a 50mbit/sec Internet connection with static or dynamic ip costs 10$ a month with unlimited traffic, a telephone and cable TV.[/citation]
In US, we don't have vampires that keep everyone at homebounded at night.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Too bad most people are wrong about the whole stealing technology from AMD. Intel designed a processor called Timna, which they cancelled in 2000, meaning they were working on this in the 1990s. This was many years before AMD released theirs. So who was first? The chicken or the egg?

Duncan NZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]cyberjock[/nom]Too bad most people are wrong about the whole stealing technology from AMD. Intel designed a processor called Timna, which they cancelled in 2000, meaning they were working on this in the 1990s. This was many years before AMD released theirs. So who was first? The chicken or the egg?[/citation]

And whats that supposed to mean? They were both were making processors well before the year 2000?

And I agree, picture 8 rocks

G

Actually, in Romania, UPC (which is all over Europe) gives you 20mbps download, 2mbps upload without any limits and EVERYWHERE for about $20.
With cable TV and telephone, it all costs about $35.

The guy with 50mbps for $10 is talking about a small ISP which offers that speed in its own network and the networks they have peering agreements (probably about 30-40% of the country) and outside they have much lower speeds (around 4mbps download and 1mbps upload)

0mg_1ts_m3

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
AMD may have come up with the technology, but Intel actually knows how to use it. I wonder though, if Intel's Nehalem will be a big upset, seeing as how AMD has been having many problems lately with the performance of their CPUs and alot of Nehalem is based off AMD architecture.

G

Think Intel stole technology from AMD for their Core i7? It's the other way around actually.

AMD says they were the first to integrate the memory controller onto the CPU, and the first to provide a link ("HyperTransport") between the RAM and CPU. Riiiight... Intel's already done that in the past, what was it called.... oh thats right, it was the 486-DX2.

Sell your AMD stock! That company is going nowhere.

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

See tntom's response: Core i7 "AMD Inside"?

I see alot of comments(mostly from fanboys) talking about how AMD innovates, Intel duplicates. I'm watching stuff on TV, Internet, Radio, even in this forum. People write about stuff they know little or nothing about. Do your research. If someone says that Obama believes in Nuclear Power. I have found that quite a few "facts" are either completely wrong, or misinterpreted as to what they mean.

Obama claims to support Nuclear Power. Do you know what his definition of support is? He doesn't want to subsidize nuclear power plants at all, but he wants to subsidize solar and wind power and let the free markets determine which electrical generation source is the preferred solution. How can he "support" it, while simultaneously not giving it the same perks? I don't call that support at all. McCain on the other hand, wants to make more subsidies available to all forms of generation stations, and let the free market determine which is the better choice. Nuclear power is, as a general rule, cheaper than other forms. Sometimes by alot. This is McCain's vision of "support" for nuclear power. Overall, if Obama wins, he's just giving more expensive forms of electricity perks that he won't give to nuclear power plants. End result: Your electric bill goes up. Obama merely hides behind his "support" by saying that he wants "safer ways to use nuclear power and store nuclear waste", implying that he'd give nuclear power the same perks when the nuclear industry can meet those requirements.

Quite honestly, I do not care who "innovates" and who "duplicates" as long as I can buy a faster chip next year than this year...

I do not intend to turn this into a debate between McCain and Obama. I used it as a good example because it was handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.