News This Year's Best April Fool's PC Hardware Hoaxes: Retro, Razer Razors, and Bladeless PC Fans

taz-nz

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Those fans are no less function than the ones found at the front of many tempered glass cases, when there is only 2-3mm between the fan and a solid plate of glass, the fan isn't doing anything but looking pretty.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
The NZXT and Silverstone things both seem more like they're seeing if people will bite on the idea more than being an April fools. Noctua already has their fans and style on a GPU, not a stretch for another company to do something similar working with an existing GPU company. The render looks nicer than many GPUs out there anyways. And the Silverstone case could totally work as a retro style system. Not sure they'd sell a lot but I could see some people posting their build in something like that. I would definitely take notice to that compared to yet another windowed RGB case.

who_farted

Honorable
Sep 1, 2017
i look forward to april first every year. reminds me why i became involved with pcs in the first place. its a good alternative to dealing with alot of the politics and social issues we see everyday...to which u have to pick a side and either way you can't make everyone happy.

Reactions: artk2219

bloodroses

Distinguished
I kind of like the Silverstone case april fools. Just make the case a little smaller than their render and you could build a neat retro system running DOSBox and PCem.

As for the BeQuiet joke fan, maybe they should talk to Dyson to make it a reality...lol

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I guess I'm the only one that really likes the idea of putting a Raptor Lake + RTX4090 in a beige case that looks like it should have a 33MHz "turbo" button on the front? Yeah?

I'll see myself out. . .
You aren't. I'm a bit disappointed that isn't a real product. I'm surprised no one has released a retro case like that yet. I bet it would sell decently.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
The NZXT and Silverstone things both seem more like they're seeing if people will bite on the idea more than being an April fools. Noctua already has their fans and style on a GPU, not a stretch for another company to do something similar working with an existing GPU company. The render looks nicer than many GPUs out there anyways. And the Silverstone case could totally work as a retro style system. Not sure they'd sell a lot but I could see some people posting their build in something like that. I would definitely take notice to that compared to yet another windowed RGB case.

Yeah the ASUS steam deck one also seems like that, especially given they put up a pre-order page.

In an overcrowded case market. I think that Silverstone would stand out and do better than most cases. Especially given the growth in popularity of retro computing.

The 80's to early 90's had some really great cases. They generally got really bad in the mid to late 90's. When PC manufacturers cut every corner in the race to the bottom. The 80's had more money spent on building cases. Yea, there was a lot of junk. But there were some really interesting looking computers.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
MSI and Gigabyte seem to have a handle on what makes a good April Fools joke. Those are some clearly ridiculous, yet marketable, fake products.

NZXT and Silverstone seem confused. They teased what look like legit products that people would really and eagerly buy. NZXT's GPU looks clean, sleek, and in a color that's always hard to find. No RBG gamer crap -- just a solid design. Love it! Silverstone could be on to something marketable with retro-looking cases that support modern hardware.

Asus though... what were they thinking? Why launch a real product on April Fools Day? The design and specs look good. Where's the fool here? Maybe it's in the price, reliability, or battery life. Asus does have a knack for pricing themselves out of the market.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
MSI and Gigabyte seem to have a handle on what makes a good April Fools joke. Those are some clearly ridiculous, yet marketable, fake products.
Though any normal person would consider an energy drink targeted at gamers ridiculous, there is an already existing market of these products for sale, so I didn't see the humor in that one at all, nor do I think it is ridiculous.

dotpoz

Distinguished
May 23, 2008