Thomas Pabst Speaks

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I REALLY LIKED this review for a change. From my point of view it demonstrated a non biased review. I think all the recent posts in the CPU forums over THG's handling of the Athlon 64 review influenced this last review. It was nice to see Tom himself pop out and say a few words. Over all a very good review.
Lets hope nVidias next card is a killer then we as consumers all win.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
I liked what tom had to say. Just because I got a good laugh out of the al queda remark Ha. I miss that about THG. They used to be a little more contraversial. The chances I spelled that right aren't good.

P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil Golden Dragon PC4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9800 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2 Antec True 480

eden

Champion
I liked his appearance in that article, but I didn't appreciate this commentary on Newell. Tom seems to think ATi and Gabe are in cahoots and is blaming Valve for nVidia's shortcomings!

I thought Tom was a bit more logical than this.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
He could be right though, it’s pretty unusual that a software developer stands up and says hey look at me we have had shite sales for over 5 years come on guys we are living off of Counter Strike now. Buy our new game that will be worth 20hours of game play like Unreal 2. BTW we liked ATI's business plan to saturate the market with their product, also allowing Valve to charge full price from the software in the bundle since ATI is so pumped to get market share from NVIDIA.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up In My Buddies Face!!!</A> :evil:

Eden, it was all for 'show', and I found it quite funny and a perfect response to the current situation in the marketplace.

Think about it. Despite my high regard for Gabe (if I can call him that, oh hell even if I can't) and for ATI's current line/products/support/situation/etc , there is really a sense of 'All ye' Lowley nV/FX users bow your heads in shame and return your cardz immediately or suffer the rath of THOR the graphics God (or maybe Prophet?) for Gabe holding the HL2 tablet in his hand did bestow favour (not a favour but favour, just get a dictionary!) upon ATI. So heritics cleanse thyselves.

Ok a little over dramatic, but really, alot of people are taking it as being the ONLY reason to buy a card, and it has gotten a little out of hand.While it is an additional nail in the coffin in my opinion, it's not the only game out there, nor the only game that will matter in the future. You now I'm not an nV apologist (although without CoolS who will be?), and I hate what nV's doing; but by the same token I've seen alot of people already returning their FX5900s based on this pre=release benchmark. I think it's nutz. I wouldn't recommend anyone risk their money on an nV new purchase but the benchmark is still not complete enough to pass final judgement, and really I'd like to see more benchmarks like the one at Anand with the 52.XX drivers (although with IQ comparissons) before people decide to do anything with their current rigs.

Anywho, I think it was tongue in cheek. It made me laugh and really I didn't think there was much to it until you, a few others, and one of the authors commented on it.

As always that's just my viewpoint.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I usually skip any 'So&So Speaks' part of any review. IT 'leaders' are a joke; who gives a crap what TP thinks? I'll make up my own mind, thanks...

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

eden

Champion
I understand your viewpoint and agree to it.

But I found Tom's reply to be very sarcastic, rather demeaning in a way. That bothered me. He seemed to think ATi and Gabe are making love and they are out against nVidia. That's Bullcrap! Wonder when the Tomster will post back in this forum.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

eden

Champion
Thomas. Red title.

He came for a week or so, tried to create guidelines in this forum since he found too many were mean lol! But never came back. Last I heard was a PM from him, a fairly big one and asking me to help him make the place better and report more on the NV issue. Sadly I never got an answer back, we never talked with him again in this forum, aguably the only one he ever posted in since the inception of THGC!

--

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
So he must have been pretty dissapointed with how THGC has turned out. Dang!

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

leeho730

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
He's got a stuff to cover up... you know, one of the nVidia's web ad goes like this:

Critics have spoken! blah blah and then there's some stuff about Tom's hardware (how tom's hardware graded there 5900U).

If 5900U turns out to be somewhat disappointing (well, at least in terms of shader performance), then people will lose trust on tom's hardware (after all, majority of people choose their cards based on reviews).

I certainly agree that the movement of ASUS will be a nice change, and that ATi has got some issues (like fishing for dirty laundry, but hey, nVidia also does that), but it is quite funny to note that nvidia develops "honest 3D-hardware." Both nVidia or ATi are not quite honest about their chipsets. I feel like Tom's got some form of patriotism towards nVidia (based on his comment).

One thing: if someone wants to play HL2 (who won't?), any HL2 mods, or future dx9 games with shader, go for ATi at this stage, or wait for future GFX with improved shader performance.