[SOLVED] Those having problems updating to 20H2

michman

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019
For a long time I had problems upgrading Win 10 to ver 20H2. I finally called MS and this was their solution
Please click on the link to start download https://download.microsoft.com/down...b-a3fe-140a5e09c9ff/MediaCreationTool20H2.exe

Open the file after it downloaded.
You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.

After I did this it finally updated but did take a few hours because I was so far behind the updates.

Solution
Yes, this is an easier and much more convenient alternative rather than having to install an old version of Windows 10 from a DVD or an older ISO.
Microsoft's Media creation tool creates the Windows 10 version 20H2 Iso for you.
However after you install it, Windows will prompt you to install supplemental updates to 20H2. It takes time to download the updates that come after that, but there is a work around about it.

It is also possible to make a custom Windows 10 ISO to include said supplemental updates, using the MSMG toolkit after you have created the Iso with the Windows Media Creation tool
(This is what I did). This eliminates the need to download said supplemental updates and will automatically install it for you when you...
Yes, this is an easier and much more convenient alternative rather than having to install an old version of Windows 10 from a DVD or an older ISO.
Microsoft's Media creation tool creates the Windows 10 version 20H2 Iso for you.
However after you install it, Windows will prompt you to install supplemental updates to 20H2. It takes time to download the updates that come after that, but there is a work around about it.

It is also possible to make a custom Windows 10 ISO to include said supplemental updates, using the MSMG toolkit after you have created the Iso with the Windows Media Creation tool
(This is what I did). This eliminates the need to download said supplemental updates and will automatically install it for you when you install the Windows 10 version 20H2 customized iso, and you can even tweak what Windows features you want to include or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzk1ZIQgCos

After making the custom ISO, I used rufus program to put it into my USB and set the file system to FAT32 so that I can install Windows in the modern UEFI boot mode and not legacy mode.
Since install.wim will become larger than >4GB (FAT32 filesystem restriction), I did this neat little trick:

Works like a charm. I'm able to install Windows minus all the unneeded components like Xbox services and telemetry.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
its been updated, its now 21H1

you don't need to download all the updates once you install win 10, only 5 at most. All the cumulative updates include the previous updates (almost like its name means something) so you get 1 CU, possibly a .net update or 2, a few odds and ends. Nothing like it was before.

Been getting conflicting reports if Microsoft will remove MS paint in future versions. Its such a convenient tool to have if you need to screenshot something (i.e. diagnosing errors) without having to install third party software, which is why I'm hesitant to upgrade to future versions.