Question Thought it was GPU or PSU. Now I think that it might be motherboard (still lost).

Nov 17, 2020
Hey everyone, I've been having problems with my pc since yesterday and I'm kind of lost to be honest. I built my pc about 3.5 years ago

Mobo: Asrock AB350 Fata1ty
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: Corsair 3200mhz 16gb
PSU: Rosewill CAPSTONE 750M 750W
GPU: vega 64

I started getting infrequent crashes yesterday when I would sometimes load up a game or when I would just be browsing youtube. It would also crash if I stress tested my pc. The crashes would cause a black screen on my monitor but the pc would still be on, I would also get flashing Leds on my peripherals. I would have to hold the power button down to power off the pc and boot it up again. My pc crashed like 5 times before it failed to even start up, the power button would do nothing. To troubleshoot, I decided to use my old Corsair CX450M psu and my rx 480 gpu. The pc doesn't crash when I use the 450w psu with the rx480 or when i use the 750w psu with the rx480.

(Also this might be a separate issue, but my hard drives stopped being detected when I changed out the psu and the gpu. I think that I accidentally mixed up the SATA psu cables and might have fried my HDDs but my ssd is fine so idk.)

So after interchanging components a couple times, my pc refused to start up regardless of the psu that I was using. The lights on the mobo and my peripherals were on but the power button would do nothing. What I had to do was reset the CMOS and now I got my pc to turn on and that's where i'm at right now. Anyone with any similar experiences and willing to help out would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Rosewill have a number of PSU's in their portfolio, what model is the one you own? Make and model of the 450W PSU? Are both PSU's 3.5 years old? The cards you've mentioned above are all power hungry cards and I'm fairly certain that a reliably built, higher wattage unit borrowed from a friend or neighbor should help rule out the issue of your PSU.

Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Nov 17, 2020
I haven't updated the BIOS in a bit. Currently, i'm on version 3.2, so not the latest. The latest bios version for my mobo is 4.2. I upgraded my GPU to the vega and my PSU to the rosewill about 2 years ago, the other components are older. Thanks and I updated my post! Sadly, I don't know anyone whos into PCs so I might just need to send in the PC to a repair shop just for the diagnosis.