[SOLVED] Thought it was the power supply, but now something else?

Jun 14, 2020
Hello!
This is my first time posting on here, so apologies for any critical information that I may miss. I'm currently helping a friend try to resolve a rather big computer issue that is causing the computer to turn on only on occasion.
What originally was happening is that he would go to turn on his PC and the leds and fans would flicker for a moment before doing nothing else, it was first assumed to be a power supply issue which he promptly replaced, but now we're having more complicated issues and hope to reach out to someone who might know about this as googling it is giving us very little results.

So,
Currently, when chassis fans are plugged in, computer won’t boot
To note:
Fan leds are dimly lit when this happens
Fans are only connected to PSU (Full-power only, no controller)
When unplugging the 24-pin the leds will turn off

When there are no chassis fan leds on, the computer will boot normally.
When fans are unplugged from the PSU, the computer will also boot normally.

Computer will only hard shutdown, the display will shut off but the computer will stay running when we try to soft shutdown, when we manage to get it to turn on, which leaves us with the same dimly lit leds and have to go through the whole process of pulling the 24-pin from the motherboard to turn it off.

Hopefully this paints someone a decent picture of a problem that could occurring as I'm running out of ideas.

Specs:
Processor: Intel i7-3770k
Motherboard: ASUSteK P8Z77-V LX
Ram: 16 GB DDR3

Solution
First of all, you should NEVER be unplugging ANYTHING from the motherboard when it is running. For that fact ALONE, I'm going to say you've probably ruined the motherboard, if it wasn't already failing, it likely is now. There is absolutely no reason to EVER do that, especially when you could EASILY turn off the switch on the back of the PSU. If there is no switch on the PSU to turn it off, then you are using a complete POS and should throw it immediately in the trash.

Aside from that, the behavior you are indicating, tells me that even without the problems you've likely added by unplugging the unit while it is running, the motherboard is probably to blame anyhow. If you can't run it with fans installed, then either the fans are all...
First of all, you should NEVER be unplugging ANYTHING from the motherboard when it is running. For that fact ALONE, I'm going to say you've probably ruined the motherboard, if it wasn't already failing, it likely is now. There is absolutely no reason to EVER do that, especially when you could EASILY turn off the switch on the back of the PSU. If there is no switch on the PSU to turn it off, then you are using a complete POS and should throw it immediately in the trash.

Aside from that, the behavior you are indicating, tells me that even without the problems you've likely added by unplugging the unit while it is running, the motherboard is probably to blame anyhow. If you can't run it with fans installed, then either the fans are all faulty or the motherboard is. I'd put money on the motherboard being faulty long before I'd say all your fans are.

Unfortunately, replacing a motherboard that old is risky or expensive, or both. You would be far better off investing any money that it would require to find a replacement motherboard, which was a cheap one to begin with, and putting it towards something much newer. It just isn't worth the investment to fix if you have to buy a motherboard and the chances are probably about 85% that that is what you are going to need to do.

Out of curiosity though, what are the models of the old AND new power supply?

Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yeha unplugging anything during boot up is very dangerous, you run the risk of static electricity frying components. What are the Size of the PSU's you are using? 450w? 550w? 650w.? It does sound like you arent getting enough power from the PSU to the motherboard to completely power everything. you made sure that all components are properly plugged in where they should be? CPU has its power? CPU fan is in the CPU fan Header. everything is where it should be?

Not "during boot up". ANYTIME the system is powered on. The ONLY thing that should EVER be plugged in or unplugged are hot swappable drives in hot swappable drive bays. Anything else, shut down, preferably also flip the switch to the off "0" position on the back of the PSU, unplug or plug in, whatever you are doing, then flip the switch back on and power back up.

Doesn't matter if it's during boot or after it's been sitting at idle for ten minutes on the desktop or whenever it is, if it's on, don't unplug stuff.

I'd also double and triple check your front panel to motherboard connections. That is probably why it's not shutting down properly. Sounds like maybe there's a whole lot of "reasons", not least of which is not actually knowing what it is that you are doing.

Jun 14, 2020
Hey!
In regards to your inquiries, no, the PSU was off and unplugged before anything was pulled from the motherboard. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The LED lights continue to stay on even after the power has been presumably shut down entirely.

But the old model was a Rosewill Hive 750W bronze and the new one is a corsair 750W gold.

From what I've been told is this my friend has taken apart his computer a few times at this point and the same results have been occurring.

Hey!
In regards to your inquiries, no, the PSU was off and unplugged before anything was pulled from the motherboard. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The LED lights continue to stay on even after the power has been presumably shut down entirely.

But the old model was a Rosewill Hive 750W bronze and the new one is a corsair 750W gold.

From what I've been told is this my friend has taken apart his computer a few times at this point and the same results have been occurring.
Then what is this?

have to go through the whole process of pulling the 24-pin from the motherboard to turn it off.

As to the power supplies, the Rosewill Hive is 100% garbage. WHAT model is your Corsair 750w Gold and how old is it?

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hey!

Even when the computer is completely turned off, Some components will have an LED light on to show that it is still getting power and is on a standby, think of it as a TV standby light. It will go away when you turn the switch off and or remove the plug from the back of the computer. ANy 750w is more than enough to power that rig. I would try a new motherboard and just to be safe a better and new PSU, you can even get a 550w