Thoughts on a video card for Dim 4550

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

I upgraded the video card in my Dim 4550 (new 03/03) with a 128MB nVidia
GF4 Ti 4200 card, which I've been very happy with until about a week ago
when the display went wonky (big vertical stripes, shimmering, the
display changed when I moved the mouse, etc.). I pulled the card and
noticed that the label on the fan looked & smelled burnt. I've been
running the original 64MB GF4 MX 420 since.

I'm not a gamer (at all), but do a fair amount of video editing. Any
thoughts / suggestions concerning a replacement video card? My monitor
is the Dell P991 which was new 05/00.

TIA

Video editing doesn't require much of a card -- your MX420 is more than
adequate. The only thing that requires much card is gaming. I'd stick with
what you have. If you must have more, I'm very happy with my ATI Radeon 9800
Pro in my 4550, but it is LOUD (big fan).

Tom

> Video editing doesn't require much of a card -- your MX420 is more than
> adequate. The only thing that requires much card is gaming. I'd stick
with
> what you have. If you must have more, I'm very happy with my ATI Radeon
9800
> Pro in my 4550, but it is LOUD (big fan).
>
> Tom

I also understand (for gaming) that the GeForce 6 cards will be out soon -
for those with thick wallets.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/506/506325p1.html

Stew

gus

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:

>>Video editing doesn't require much of a card -- your MX420 is more than
>>adequate. The only thing that requires much card is gaming. I'd stick
>>with
>>what you have. If you must have more, I'm very happy with my ATI Radeon
>>9800 Pro in my 4550, but it is LOUD (big fan).
>>
>>Tom
>
> I also understand (for gaming) that the GeForce 6 cards will be out soon -
> for those with thick wallets.
>
> http://gear.ign.com/articles/506/506325p1.html

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The Ti 4200 is still under warranty, so
I'll stick with the MX 420 for now & see what MSI sends as a replacement.