[SOLVED] Thoughts on Asrock AB350M Pro4 in 2021?

Feb 21, 2021
I have a 2017 build using this motherboard and it still prevails from all the troubles it had thrown to me over the years (of course with a few hand cuts)

To anyone still using this board, do you think it's still any good today and should I replace it in 2021?

Solution
I have a Ryzen 3 1300X, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB and a Patriot Signature Line 16 GB. Both are 2400 MHz in speed. I have no plans on upgrading the CPU.

I guess this board's a bit problematic based on reviews from the past so I'm thinking of replacing it someday. I hope it's not going to happen next month.
If you've no plans on upgrading your CPU then that board will be more than adequate. It could comfortably handle a 3600 or 3600X CPU and that's enough for top tier gaming with the right GPU. Just don't plan on a Zen 3 CPU as AMD won't release an AGESA for it on 300 series chipset boards.

Are you experiencing any problems with your board? I wouldn't pay too much attention to the experiences reviewers had with a board since...
Feb 21, 2021
I have a Ryzen 3 1300X, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB and a Patriot Signature Line 16 GB. Both are 2400 MHz in speed. I have no plans on upgrading the CPU.

I guess this board's a bit problematic based on reviews from the past so I'm thinking of replacing it someday. I hope it's not going to happen next month.

That CPU will not work on latest MBs with 500series chipset so you are stuck with 400 series chipset at most. If you wait too long, this or next year they might stop making 400 chipset MBs. By next year AMD will release CPUs with new socket and these ones will become obsolete. In any case, you have at least a year to make up your mind.

Reactions: mIgJiG64

If you've no plans on upgrading your CPU then that board will be more than adequate. It could comfortably handle a 3600 or 3600X CPU and that's enough for top tier gaming with the right GPU. Just don't plan on a Zen 3 CPU as AMD won't release an AGESA for it on 300 series chipset boards.

Are you experiencing any problems with your board? I wouldn't pay too much attention to the experiences reviewers had with a board since they're reason for being is to look for trifles and blow it up to something that appears to matter. Especially if it's working out well for you as it is; but even if, nine times out of ten the "problems" they experienced can be easily overcome with a little help.

If anything, I reccommend consolidating that mixed bag of memory into a two stick kit of some quality DDR4 and shoot for 3000 speed. It's doable with a little tweaking, but 2667 should be attainable with just XMP on the latest AGESA for your processor. Even Zen1 loves higher clocked memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: mIgJiG64
Solution
Feb 21, 2021
That CPU will not work on latest MBs with 500series chipset so you are stuck with 400 series chipset at most. If you wait too long, this or next year they might stop making 400 chipset MBs. By next year AMD will release CPUs with new socket and these ones will become obsolete. In any case, you have at least a year to make up your mind.
I guess I'll just stay with this CPU and board for some years then get me a new build when the budget allows. Thanks for responding by the way.

Are you experiencing any problems with your board? I wouldn't pay too much attention to the experiences reviewers had with a board since they're reason for being is to look for trifles and blow it up to something that appears to matter. Especially if it's working out well for you as it is; but even if, nine times out of ten the "problems" they experienced can be easily overcome with a little help.

If anything, I reccommend consolidating that mixed bag of memory into a two stick kit of some quality DDR4 and shoot for 3000 speed. It's doable with a little tweaking, but 2667 should be attainable with just XMP on the latest AGESA for your processor. Even Zen1 loves higher clocked memory.
I've recently experienced one out of the blue, all running on stock voltage and speed. Thankfully it's been solved for two days. About the RAM though I think I'm ok with it. 2400 MHz could be obsolete at this point but I don't usually play competitive games. I guess I was just too preoccupied with the reviews online but thank you for responding.

Feb 25, 2021
I have a 2017 build using this motherboard and it still prevails from all the troubles it had thrown to me over the years (of course with a few hand cuts)

To anyone still using this board, do you think it's still any good today and should I replace it in 2021?
I don't have that luck like you, I have the same mobo (ATX), suddnely won't turn on, and randomly back to normal up and running after a few days. BIOS has been updated to 5.0 and using Cosair 3200mhz CL16.

Feb 21, 2021
What happened?
This happened. All parts running on stock speed and voltage | https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asrock-ab350m-pro4-reboots-every-30s.3689032/

I don't have that luck like you, I have the same mobo (ATX), suddnely won't turn on, and randomly back to normal up and running after a few days. BIOS has been updated to 5.0 and using Cosair 3200mhz CL16.
It has been doing some unexplained errors over the years like it won't detect a single RAM stick even when tested on all slots then suddenly doing a POST on either A2 or B2 slot (take note I was making sure it makes that snap sound on both ends), Windows getting stuck on the screen with only the animated loading logo on the bottom and had to reinstall the whole OS, doing 5 beeps on a seemingly connected GPU after several times of reseating and rescrewing, had to reconnect a CPU fan once because it wasn't spinning, and the built-in LAN decided to go deep sleep mode after I didn't use it for a month so I had to buy a LAN Card. It will sometimes freeze or shut off monitors even when doing light tasks like browsing the net.

Least it still works quite normally after solving those problems.