Question Thoughts on buying a Dell XPS 17 laptop ?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing the XPS 17 laptop but I want some of your thoughts about this laptop. I am going to use the laptop mainly for high quality video watching and some gaming.

But i have just thought about an issue which may happen if I buy the XPS 17 laptop. With the connectivity ports on the laptop as they are all USB-C type ports and not USB 2.0 or 3.0. How on earth can you connect a mouse or keyboard even a standard USB stick to the laptop? It drives me crazy as this XPS 17 and even the XPS 15 all have USB-C ports, the XPS 17 has 4 USB 3 type ports I think. Why on earth would you need 4 USB C type ports on a laptop?

How can I use a mouse on a laptop like the XPS 17 if I cant plug in a dongle which is USB or a wired mouse which is also USB? I know you can get dongles but what is the point in that as you would thought that XPS developer would of added a standard USB port to allow a mouse without dongle converters to USB 3.0 from USB C type.

Sorry for the rant lol about the USB C port but I just cannot understand why you need 4 of them when you cannot even plug a mouse into it?

Thanks

We bought one of our cad guys a dell precision that only has usb-c ports. Bought min a usb-c to 4 usb 3.0 hub. Has a wireless dongle for his keyboard and mouse, a usb to ethernet dongle, and a 3dconnections spacemouse all plugged into that usb-c hub.

Usb-c ports are like a swiss army knife of ports, you can charge the laptop with them. If you get a dell docking station then it plugs into a usb-c port and runs monitors, usb 3.0 ports, ethernet, and charging. Thats all from a single usb-c port, its the way of the future.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Adapters .
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Thunderbolt-Female-MacBook-Devices/dp/B071S2V5JG

Or a Hub, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B0835L59N2

or a Docking station but those prices are all over the place $40 up to a bit over 300...

Ok, I understand how to solve this issue of wanting a USB 2.0 mouse/keyboard and wanting to connect it to a USB C type port. By using an adaptor that's great.

But... I still don't understand why they need 4 USB type C ports on the XPS 17 and even some other laptops replace all USB 2.0/3.0 standard for the USB C port type. Lets focus on the XPS 17 laptop as I have this one in mind to buy.

The XPS 17 has 4 USB type C ports on the overall laptop. My question is why on earth would you need 4 USB type C ports for?????? Would it make more sense to have 1 USB type C for charging the laptop as USB type C is amazing for fast charging. What would you use the other 3 left over USB type C ports for? As you cannot connect a standard mouse, keyboard, USB pen stick or any USB devices to the pc without a god dam adaptor...

My point is... Would it make more sense to have 1 USB type c port on the XPS 17 for charging. Then replace the other 3 USB type C for standard USB 2.0/3.0 ports for normal mouses and that. As there are no tpye c port mouses on the market and keyboard so I just think its a waist of space. Please correct me on why they would add 4 USB type C ports for?

Thanks

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
We bought one of our cad guys a dell precision that only has usb-c ports. Bought min a usb-c to 4 usb 3.0 hub. Has a wireless dongle for his keyboard and mouse, a usb to ethernet dongle, and a 3dconnections spacemouse all plugged into that usb-c hub.

Usb-c ports are like a swiss army knife of ports, you can charge the laptop with them. If you get a dell docking station then it plugs into a usb-c port and runs monitors, usb 3.0 ports, ethernet, and charging. Thats all from a single usb-c port, its the way of the future.

Would you thought though that when you buy an expensive laptop that you should not need to buy all these extra dongles and adaptors to just use a mouse. Like to be honest a mouse is standard use like mostly everyone uses a mouse on a laptop, so why would XPS 17 or any other laptops remove all USB 2.0/3.0 ports and replace them with USB type C.

Be interesting to justify why you would need 4 USB type C ports on a laptop when all you can do is charge with a USB type c charger. But you got to buy an adaptor to use a mouse as there are only like 2 or 3 mouses with USB type C connectors on them. Just doesnt make sense to me why you would need 4 USB type C ports on a laptop.

It might be the future but no manufactures are producing lots of USB type 3 mouses and keyboards. You cannot even use a USB pen stick lol without an adaptor.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Daniel, if it's any consolation, the Dell XPS 17 ships with two adapters - a USB-C to USB-A and an HDMI v2.0. You'll still need another one for Ethernet.

Sorry for the rant lol about the USB C port but I just cannot understand why you need 4 of them when you cannot even plug a mouse into it?

I agree with your rant - one or two Thunderbolt 4 ports is plenty. It makes a laptop a lot less convenient and portable when you need to remember to take all your adapters or a docking station with you when you're out 'n' about.