[SOLVED] Thoughts on finalizing new build?

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
I "finished" a budget build that had been simmering on the backburner, but would be interested in your thoughts, especially in what I may still want to add.

The actual price was only about $515 (130 processor/70 mobo/55 RAM/60 SSD/140 GPU(used from non-mining friend)/60 case/existing win10, 3tb storage drive, etc.) The case is actually the Lancool 205M, but it wasn't there as a choice in partspicker (it's the Microcenter only mATX version). Found some good sales, and went used on the GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($183.31 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card ($404.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 205 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $997.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-16 18:28 EDT-0400

I probably need another fan, although after an hour of gaming at highest (on 1920X1080) settings on Battlefield 1, the GPU wasn't over 60C, and the PWM fans weren't even at full throttle. I also plan to sexy up the front panel by adding greyed wood veneer to give it a brsuhed aluminum look.

The only thing that lights up is the sapphire logo on the GPU, and I'm ok with that. Looks weren't my first priority, but theone thing that does bug ,me after the fact is the bright blue crucial logo on the ssd. May get a heatsink to cover it or soemthing. The rest of the case has a nice blackout/gunmetal look, with just the logo shinging through the tinted black glass.

Ideas? Critiques? For $515 I'm pretty happy with it, especially the case.

Reactions: Flayed
Solution
It's a fine build. 60C is a perfectly acceptable temp. The only reason to add another fan would be to reduce noise. As more fans. Assuming all PWM can move the same amount of air at a lower RPM. Rather more cool air in the case so the CPU and GPU can run at lower RPM for the same amount of cooling. It's a balancing act to get noise down. Functionally, you don't need more fans.
It's a fine build. 60C is a perfectly acceptable temp. The only reason to add another fan would be to reduce noise. As more fans. Assuming all PWM can move the same amount of air at a lower RPM. Rather more cool air in the case so the CPU and GPU can run at lower RPM for the same amount of cooling. It's a balancing act to get noise down. Functionally, you don't need more fans.

Solution

justinbower

Prominent
Jan 23, 2019
Thanks, that's a good point, I hadn't considered that. Yeah, I'm using just the stock fans on all, but the case fans were PWM, which was surprising at the $60 price point for Lian Li. It's pretty quiet already, so it may not even be necessary. For closed front case, it gets pretty decent airflow with side ventilation and a big scoop under the front panel before the filter