bada bing

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello guys, I'm trying to configure a new gaming computer and wanted to run it by you.

I'm mainly playing WoW and waiting for Star Wars the Old Republic.

I know I am probably building much more computer than I need but I want it that way, I have about $2000 and enjoy stuff "Looking Cool" :sol:

I am liking the things I have read about the ASUS RoG line and have decided I dont mind paying a little more for it (unless I am shown its total junk of course).

The video cards I've struggled with, don't know if it would be more beneficial to do SLI, Crossfire or massive single GPU.

Here's what I've come up with (be gentile :sarcastic: )

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9R

Graphics Card: ASUS MATRIX GTX580 P/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0

Boot Drive: 2x Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (RAID 0)

Storage Disk: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT (VN10001W2N) Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100

Thanks!

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I'd say that machine is far more than you need to play those games, but there's nothing wrong with that if you're happy spending the money and it does mean that when you decide to try another game for a while, you'll be able to run it.

I'd question the value of putting 2 SSDs in RAID 0. I'd go for one single, larger SSD and possibly use it as a cache with the storage drive (Z68 chipset allows this). It's down to preference though. The cooler is good, just make sure you want water in your case - if it leaks it may very well wreck everything, and the i5-2500K isn't a hot chip even when over-clocked. A good air-cooler will do the job and cost about half the amount.

Generally, it's best to get the most powerful single graphics card you can afford and SLI later on. Whether you want to SLI or not is another question...and with a 580, I doubt you'll need to for a while. If it's an option, you may want to get a 1kW PSU just to make sure you have enough power later on.

STOPOT

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
^ Agree. 1 SSD would perform better than 2 SSD, read write speeds get faster with capacity. Corsair water coolers are good but the stock fans are very very loud. If you want to get it, I would suggest buying other fans to replace the stock fans.

zero888

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I would not worry too much on getting an ssd(they are quite expensive as of right now) since you will be playing those types of games. I would personally spend half on the components you wish to get, and half on peripherals such as new monitor, keyboard, speakers, mouse, etc. . This would ensure you get the full value of entertainment on your system.

otinen

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Dude seriously, get a 120gb or higher ssd, I reccomend an Intel 510, just because they are so reliable, and don't listen to the nay-sayers, an ssd is the single best upgrade you can possibly give your machine, I can never go back to snail pace hard drives, unless for media storage. Trust me, whoever recommends against a SSD , obviously does not own one, or has owned a faulty one. Think about it, would you trade your Ferrari, for a 1960's beetle? I don't think so.

Stay away from that level 10 case, your temps are gonna be off the roof.

The GPU is fine, just means you won't have to upgrade it for the next 2-3 years.

otinen

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Also that cpu cooler won't fit, in nor on that case. and unless you are a serious overclocker, the ROG line is all fluff, it's a waste of cash,

bada bing

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

That is the first time I've heard someone say that case was Hot.

I have seen this case with the H100 installed in a push pull config, so I know it will fit no problem.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the feedback, I am going with 1 120 GB SSD, and am looking into the Power Supply. And I'm checking into some other MoBo's

I already have the peripherals I need minus a monitor, but that wasn't included in this $2k budget (Any suggestions :wahoo: ?)

What's your budget for a monitor?

bada bing

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

I could probably spend $500 on a monitor w/out the wife freaking out lol.