Build Advice Thoughts on i7 4790k liquid metal build

Deonta Alexander

Honorable
May 15, 2014
This is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x8wG8Y This is what i'm thinking on working towards https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HG63xG
I will be deliding the cpu and using conductonuat in the cpu and between the cpu and the liquid cooler. the h100i v2 will be mounted at the top as an exhaust and the 140mm fan will be at the back as an exhaust. the other 3x 120mm fans will be in the front as intake.
Should the h100i v2's fans be replaced with stronger fans? what will my temps be like? any tips on anything or anything to think about ahead of time? this is my first build i'm just upgrading it a bit after about 3 years

Deonta Alexander

Honorable
May 15, 2014
What do you use this PC for? In what way is it not performing adequately? For the price you're paying for the new cooler, liquid metal, RAM, etc. you may just be better off putting that money towards getting a new CPU, mobo and RAM.
Its used for game/app development, autocad, video editing, and gaming. And is the CPU and mobo not decent? i was wanting to just upgrade this pc not start a whole new build. hence why i was upgrading from 8Gb ram to 32Gb ram, and upgrading the gpu. Reason for the liquid metal was so i didnt bottleneck as much if i get the rtx 2080

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
The liquid metal might improve thermals by arround 5 degrees c. At the risk of killing the cpu...I would only atempt it if you were severely thermal limited, what I would doubt considering that this is not a 9900k. If you got a case with space for a decend air-cooler I would go with that and save me some money and trouble.

liquid metal will begat almost nothing compared to conventional paste when used on top of an IHS to a waterblock or heatsink...

It was intended for in between die and IHS for delidding...

Save your money.

(If something 'metal sounding' will suffice, find some Arctic Silver...!) :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Its used for game/app development, autocad, video editing, and gaming. And is the CPU and mobo not decent? i was wanting to just upgrade this pc not start a whole new build. hence why i was upgrading from 8Gb ram to 32Gb ram, and upgrading the gpu. Reason for the liquid metal was so i didnt bottleneck as much if i get the rtx 2080
It's not a bad CPU, but the liquid metal + new cooler is only going to get you an extra 5-10% performance, at best. It's just not a good return on your money. Hence my suggestion to just save it for a proper system upgrade. More modern CPUs have 50-100% more cores in the same price range as the 4790k was. That may not make a huge difference in all games (or CAD, assuming you're using a GPU to accelerate workloads), but for stuff like video encoding and possibly compile times it should make a significant difference.

Adding more RAM to your current system may make a significant difference if you're currently running out of memory in your applications. But something to keep in mind is that all your DDR3 will be obsolete when it comes time to upgrade CPU/motherboard.