Thoughts on my $1400 dollar build.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
what do you guys think of my pc build. Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xWRp3b

Update: I have updated my pc build due to recommendations or a change of heart. This is the current build trying to keep it under 1400 at all cost; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fvvVD2.

Now here is why i picked each part: Ryzen 7 2700x: i picked this part mostly due to the fact the stock cooler is alot better, and has rgb lighting over the 2700.
Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING: i changed this from the gaming 5 because it was cheaper to just get this and a wireless adapter than to get the gaming 5 wifi.
ADATA - SU800 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive: i chose this drive because i will only be using it to put the os on and maybe a game or two.
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive: changed to a 2tb from 1tb due to a recommendation and that i will need the storage if this is where i will be putting my games.
Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card: i kept this card because i already purchased it.
Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case: i changed to this case because it has an rgb strip included and looked better than the one i was going to chose. it was also cheaper because it would have been an extra 20 for the rgb strip and fan.
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply: i changed to this psu because someone recommended it and it could fit in my budget after changing motherboard and case.

so this is the new build can you guys give me updated thoughts.

Solution
Slight misconception. It's impossible to use just the C drive for OS. If you add anything from Steam to Adobe, Office, Photoshop or any number of other games or apps, they'll all load something into the OS folders. So even keeping the mass storage files on the hdd, the functional files will still be under C. I have a 128Gb Samsung 840 Pro as C drive, and it gets a bunch of stuff added, especially from my kid who surfs the internet as all those cookies, temp files, temp internet files, downloads, my pc, utility etc all go through the OS. This means I'm cleaning up my OS drive regularly as it'll see over 80Gb of use. This is why a 240Gb+ is recommended, as you'll be able to use it without cleaning it out every week.

Sata3 is still Sata...

alliboneben

Prominent
Nov 25, 2017
Looks good to me, but you might want to consider the fractal design meshify c case as it is almost the same price as your current one and I personally think it looks better

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for the input but the reason i chose the case i did was because of the rgb fans in the front it was cheaper to get this case then the nzxt s340 with 3 rgb fans.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for the input, but i want an ssd for quicker boot times thats what i am putting my os and games so they load faster.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for the input! but the ddr4 3000 ram is $13 more than the 2666 so i just dont see a reason for spending more money for a couple extra frames.

Made a few adjustments.

Changed the junk SSD, and PSU, also the GPU was out of stock so I changed that to a better one.

And added faster Ram, DDR4 3200

$63 more, but with higher quality parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($76.70 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card ($519.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.38 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB 42.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Other: LED Strip USB Powered RGB Multi-color Flexible LED Strip Lighting Waterproof TV Backlight Background Lighting Kit - 100CM (3.28Ft) 5V 5050 30LEDs for HDTV, Desktop PC etc ($10.99)
Other: USB 2.0 Extension Cable A to A M/F - 6 FT ($1.38)
Total: $1449.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-15 13:26 EDT-0400

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

thanks for the input, but i cant go over 1400 the reason i chose the ram i did was for the rgb lighting, and i already have the graphics card ( i probably should have mentioned that) though i may try and keep the ssd. but whats wrong with my current psu? is their a cheaper ssd?

Can't see the point in compromising by getting a SATA SSD instead of a full-on NVME SSD. Especially since you're uncompromisingly going for 1080TI graphics. NVME load times are simply amazing; simply amazing. I can only compare to the days when I used DOS off a ram drive on a super fast (for those days) 386 system.

Took out the GPU and added RGP Ram in DDR4 3000, changed the SSD to the only other good I can recommend.

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($190.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.38 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Cooler Master - MasterFan Pro 120 Air Balance RGB 42.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Other: LED Strip USB Powered RGB Multi-color Flexible LED Strip Lighting Waterproof TV Backlight Background Lighting Kit - 100CM (3.28Ft) 5V 5050 30LEDs for HDTV, Desktop PC etc ($10.99)
Total: $956.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-15 13:48 EDT-0400

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

so should i keep a sata ssd with 240gb or go with a nvme ssd with 128 gbs because i cant afford to go up on price

128GB SSD's are pretty much useless.

You're uncompromising on the graphics...try hard, dig deep.

128 gig will hold the OS and most productivity apps but you'll still be running your games and all data off the spinner. If that's OK, just getting the OS on a super-fast NVME is truly amazing.

Even the 240Gig will only get one MAYBE two triple A games on it alongside the OS. I'm running one now and I really wish i had a 1TB so I could run the games i like most off it. I am so hooked on the speed everywhere else that level loads off my 1TB spinner are just agonizing for Fallout4.

Seriously: Beg, Borrow or Steal to get a 512 NVME if you can but even 240 if you can't. Find somewhere you can compromise: even a 2600 processor if gaming is your goal. That mobo will overclock comfortably and all you need for gaming is a good 4 core. You only need the 2700 if you're going to do some heavy duty rendering and/or encoding; tasks that will load up all those 8 cores/16 threads fully and make it squeal.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

i will be doing 4k video editing as well as play (some) games at 4k so thats why i went with a 2700x and a gtx 1080 but im fine with having my games on the hard drive i do that currently with my laptop and it dosent bother me at all so the whole nvme ssd isnt a big deal right now maybe in the future i will get one but for now i think an upgrade from a hardrive to an ssd for my os is fine, the main reason i got an ssd was because my laptop takes forever to load windows when it boots so that was the only thing i wanted to fix storage wise, but anyways thank you for your input ill think about getting one.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For gaming there's honestly not much difference between a Sata3 and NVMe drive. The read/write times for both are well able to keep up with cpu demands for small files from the ram. The biggest difference is only really noticed in extremely large files being written/read and it's still only a few seconds difference.

Op, would you please post a build of only the parts you actually plan on purchasing and any other parts not being included in the budget, since the price of a gpu at this level will change a whole build. It's a little confusing as to whether that $1400 is supposed to include what you already have or not.

Also, what's the time frame for this as there are already listings on websites for the B450 motherboards which will be considerably cheaper than the X470, which under budget constraints could change a unreliable ssd/psu to something far greater capacity/quality

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

so the 1400 is supposed to include the gtx 1080 but i just bought it the other day while it was cheaper and thanks for the input next time i post i will

Totally understand the CPU choice now! Can't argue...but maybe you could re-think the mobo. That's a good one, but quite expensive; is WIFI important for instance? Just asking.

Also...

Corsair NVME....Newegg

Like wow. Probably no more (extra) than a dinner out with SO. Just saying.

And not to argue as it's not game play which is (for the most part) unaffected by anything but the GPU. It's level load times when loading GB of textures and code from the drive and caching it to memory and video card. Or whatever the heck it does. That can be just soooooo agonizingly slow from a spinner.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

wifi is a big thing for me and the reason i picked the mobo was for rgb most of the parts i picked had something to do with rgb, the reason i got the 2700x and not the 2700 was for the wraith prism (rgb cooler), the ram has rgb, the graphic card has rgb, the case has rgb, so yeah wifi and rgb is big for me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($131.58 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($163.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition Video Card ($509.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Total: $1435.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-15 17:56 EDT-0400

RGB on the mobo is pretty much lost in the shuffle when adding extra RGB.

The case has RGB strip included and I personally prefer it to the CM masterbox 5.

Seriously upgraded SSD and psu and ram.

Not a big fan of mobo wifi, it's good when first issued, but is not adaptable to changes. And it's usually the first thing to break on any mobo. Don't even use the wifi on my z77 board, the $15 pcie tp-link I bought is faster, stronger, better bandwidth and more reliable.

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks i updated my pc as you can see up top, i changed the psu. the motherboard and the case, though i didnt use the same wifi adapter i chose a cheaper one recommended by a friend who uses it, thank you for the case suggestion though i did the non silent version only because the silent version put me over 1400 and i wont be using the ssd for anything other than the os so i dont see the point in paying almost $30 more if i wont really use it, i did change the memory as well i looked up benchmarks between 2666 and 3000 and it was a too small a difference for me to pay more though i did chose the rgb pro because it looks better in my opinion. but thanks for all the input i seriously appreciate it.

That ADATA drive isn't NVME, it's M.2 SATA... Same speed as an SATA drive.

You would be better off replacing it with this drive and you will have more space, 128GB is too small.

Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $69.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-16 01:10 EDT-0400

Also might want to rethink that generic Wireless adaptor, it's really not that great. (Since you went away from the integrated Wireless on the MB.

This one is much better and more stable.

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - USB-AC56 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $57.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-16 01:22 EDT-0400

Stephen_88

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

i just assumed that nvme was the same thing as an m.2 sata, thanks for letting me know they arent the same, and also do you have a usb wifi adapter or even pci under 30 thats good because the whole reason i changed from the wifi board to non-wifi with adapter because it was cheaper. though for the ssd i just dont need the extra storage im only using it for the os. but thanks for the input, i know it can seem like i just disagree with everything you guys say but i due take it into consideration and the ssd i dont think im changing.

With PC parts you get what you pay for. ;)

What we are trying to do is prevent you from making mistakes that you will regret later.

But you seem determined to make them so.

TRENDING THREADS