[SOLVED] Thoughts on my final build proposition? PSU? Cooling? Everything...?

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
Thanks to some great advice from people here in the forums, I have decided on this for my final build (along with GTX1080ti which I already have)

https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/user/gulli/saved/kHDV6h

PCPartPicker part list: https://fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/YgZ4hy

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€562.51 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€69.85 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€199.95 @ Amazon France)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€291.42 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€52.24 @ Amazon France)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€42.21 @ Amazon France)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa J24 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: Corsair - 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€113.90 @ Corsair)
Total: €1411.98

I am not sure if the PSU is a little bit too much. A 750W would definitely be enough running everything stock frequencies, however I will probably overclock a little bit in the winter months and I worry there that it could be getting close to the 750W.. and between 750W and 850W the prices aren't hugely different anyway.

Although the cooler is a budget one, a review on Toms Hardware said it still gave excellent cooling.

Only thing still a little bit unsure about is the screen. Want 144Hz 1440p <5ms and gsync (probably) originally I have hoped to keep the price under €500 but am having trouble... keeps seeming to come back to Acer Predator or a similar Asus (which are more than I wanted to pay).

Having looked into it I am pretty sure curved is out.

I am pretty sure I did see something about a Dell gsync 144Hz 1440p screen for under €500 while googling the other day, but I can't find it again now and not sure exactly which model it is... if anyone has seen something like that...

Thanks again to everyone who has already helped with great advice.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€104.95 @ Amazon France)
Total: €104.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-13 16:59 CET+0100

or

Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€127.24 @ Amazon France)
Total: €127.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-13 17:00 CET+0100

logainofhades

Titan
I would recommend a better quality PSU, like an Evga G3, Seasonic Focus Gold, or even a Corsair RMx. The 9900k is a great chip, but overpriced for the performance you get from it. As you are looking to do 1440p, and G-Sync, I would recommend an AMD 2700x, which would free up your budget for better components elsewhere. 32gb ram totally unnecessay, for a gaming rig. With this you get a better SSD for OS, and programs, and a 1tb drive for games. The HDD can be used for pictures, video, documents, and such, and still leaves a considerable amount extra to put towards your monitor.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (€329.17 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€69.85 @ Amazon France)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€154.90 @ Amazon France)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€165.89 @ Alternate)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€103.98 @ FNAC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€174.89 @ LDLC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.80 @ Cdiscount)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa J24 TG RGB ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.90 @ Amazon France)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€104.95 @ Amazon France)
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB271HUA 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (€552.95 @ Amazon France)
Total: €1803.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-13 17:07 CET+0100

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
Yep I JUST NOTICED EVERYONE... sry sry sry... the PSU I wanted was this one:

https://www.amazon.fr/EVGA-Modular-Garantie-Alimentation-210-GQ-0850-V2/dp/B017NW4MI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544717592&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+850

I threw the Corsair in cos Part Picker didnt have the price and it was close. But actually you have given some really great alternatives there I will take a look at.

This isn't just a gaming rig though... I also do 3D editing with software like Max, Mudbox etc and 2d high res design work... for rendering RAM is always a help.

WildCard999

Titan

The Seasonic Focus Gold Plus is better quality then that EVGA GQ.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Really? Would it make that much difference? I will OC a bit but I am not going to be trying to push the 5Ghz either. Tbh it was a Toms Hardware review which convinced me this wouldn't be such a bad choice... they said gave it very good cooling (which is most important thing really).

It's a shame the review doesn't compare to a 280mm cooler but tbh I assumed it wouldn't be THAT massive a difference.

The thing is there is a really big price jump there with the H115i, it's like double the price almost. With the screen I am pushing the €2000 with this build which is my absolute MAX MAX MAX limit... even then will be eating pasta for a month I imagine. I really don't see where else I can cut costs

Toms Review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooler-master-master-liquid-ml240l-rgb,5345.html

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Yeah I have just been looking into this as more than one person mentioned it. Tbh Seasonic is one of those brands I have heard but always kinda see as a middling-lower end brand for some reason. But yeah, it does look to be a better value choice than the EVGA.

Thanks man.

You get what you pay for. If you're spending that kind of money, on a 9900k i'd sure as hell want to make sure it doesn't run hot. That CPU runs 5ghz stock boost clock from the start. They cram a ton of cores into a small die so it's going to generate a ton of heat even if it's soldered.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018
To EVERYONE... Sry, there has been too many posts from too many people too fast for me to reply to all (especially as I have to look into all the info).

Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Sry though (to suggesters), tempting as it may be in some respects I really don't feel confident moving over to AMD. I know it's probably "old school" nowadays but I still can't help but go for Intel/Nvidia OR AMD/Radeon... mixing the two just seems wrong somehow. I already have my 1080ti so the rest is kind of decided.

32Gb of RAM isn't necessary for games today, but does help with rendering tasks... and in 2-3 years who knows where we'll be? I got 16Gb DDR3 back in 2012 when (at the time) it was also overkill in many respects, over time it isn't a decision I have regretted.

Thanks again every so much for all the help, info and advice!

Seasonic has been one of the best makes of PSUs for quite a long time. The Focus+ Gold is one of the highest regarded PSUs for its price.

Save the 25 Euro on that build and use the MX500 1TB instead of the 860 EVO. Performance is very close between the two but the MX500 has better endurance.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Yeah I see your point and I don't disagree, have been thinking same sort of thing myself... However as that review said that cooler basically was as good as the more expensive 240mm coolers then I assumed the main other difference would be the size, and I thought the difference between 240 & 280 (of the H100i or cooler master) wouldn't be that dramatic honestly.

I will see if I can track down more numbers on it... if I will be shaving 10-12 degrees off with an H100i rather than this one then yeah, it's worth the extra, but if I am getting 2-3 degrees improvement at best then not really sure it is worth it.

Until a couple of days ago I was planning to simply go with a noctua air cooler instead, I have real trouble believing this would cool LESS than that.

Thanks for the info again... I will do more research on this and look at my budget again.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Thanks, I looked at it this morning and it does look much better. I am a little unsure whether to get 750W or 850W for this machine... I know 750W is enough running stock but I am not sure about the OC on the i9, I hear it can be a real power drain.

Will 750W be enough while running moderate OCs on the CPU and GPU? From what I have read I think the i9 can top 400W by itself, leaving only 350 for everything else including GPU. Will I not risk cutting it a little fine with a 750W?

I will definitely get the Seasonic whichever one I get. Thanks to everyone for that tip!

WildCard999

Titan

The 750W is plenty for that system & overclocking.

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

Thanks Wildcard. I thought it probably would be. I think the main reason I am a little paranoid is that I have an 850W in my current PC... the reason being when I bought it I was running a GTX580 which was a card with a massive power drain, and at the time I wasn't sure whether later on I would want SLI (I never did) so I got more overhead that I needed.

I don't think it is very likely I would want to SLI my 1080ti... I'm no expert but SLI seems less relevant than it used to be, and when the time comes I would probably get more from simply updating the GPU I think. Although that is a little down the line of course xD

Ty for taking the time to help me again, and a 750W frees up a little more for a better cpu cooler maybe :)

gullidotwog

Proper
Sep 13, 2018

I am going to either go with the Cooler Master Liquid Pro 280 or the Corsair H100i. I really can't afford to go higher than that in price, I was originally going to get a Noctua D15, I am sure one of those two AiO's will give as good cooling as the Noctua air cooler... it will have to do for now, later on maybe I can invest in a better cooler if necessary, and until then I simply won't push the clock speeds so far if necessary.

Thanks for everything Wildcard.

Latest posts