KareemGT

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Since I'll be traveling constantly in the next few years, I decided to sell my current Mid Tower build (FX-8350, HD 7870) and build something very small so I could easily pack it on flights as a carry on luggage. I mainly use my computer for light gaming (CSGO, DayZ max) and for very basic Audio, video, photo editing (FL studio, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop).

Build in mind : (My Budget is 500-600$)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
CPU HS: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
MB: ASRock Fatal1ty B450
RAM: 8GB DDR4 (not sure about the model / frequency)
SSD: >500GB
Case : InWin Chopin (150W psu)

What I want to know is:
1- Would this build do the job? Would you change anything for a better performance at the same price? My priorities are size and performance.

2-What could be bad about having an APU? Is the Ryzen 5 2400G good?

3- Is having 1 RAM stick of 8GB bad? What frequency should I go for?

4-I would really appreciate it if you could suggest me a case ( I don't mind if it's slightly bigger than the Inwin Chopin as long as i could still be able to fit it in a small suitcase or a big backpack) that would fit a GPU so i could have that as an option in the future.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Solution
Yes the stock cooler fits in the chopin (or BQ656, same chassis). You just need to remove the top shroud that has the AMD logo. Just know that this is the only cooler in the case and it can get hot. My 2200g is undervolted on the gpu (1.193V and OC'd to 1550MHz), and I even "OC'd" my cpu to the boost clock of 3.7GHz and set the voltage to 1.4V because it was jumping up to 1.42 and even 1.44V just letting it handle the boost. I still can hit 80c and even spikes to 90c in some games. The 2400g will just be just as hot, and most likely more. So you won't be able to OC as much (maybe having to settle for less than max boost clock and undervolting the cpu and gpu at their base clocks).

Only use dual channel ram configurations on Ryzen. So...

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, having 1 8GB stick of RAM is bad because you are using the built-in GPU. You need all the memory bandwidth possible. Also, since that built-in GPU takes memory away from the OS, you won't have 8GB available. You need a matched set of two DIMMs. I would recommend starting with the stock cooler. It it is too loud for your use, then upgrade but try it before replacing.

KareemGT

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, having 1 8GB stick of RAM is bad because you are using the built-in GPU. You need all the memory bandwidth possible. Also, since that built-in GPU takes memory away from the OS, you won't have 8GB available. You need a matched set of two DIMMs. I would recommend starting with the stock cooler. It it is too loud for your use, then upgrade but try it before replacing.
Thank you for your reply.
Do you suggest any model in particular? Also, what would you say about having 16GB of RAM?
For the CPU cooler, I'd like to go with the stock cooler but i don't think it would fit inside the Inwin Chopin case.

firemrshlbill

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
Yes the stock cooler fits in the chopin (or BQ656, same chassis). You just need to remove the top shroud that has the AMD logo. Just know that this is the only cooler in the case and it can get hot. My 2200g is undervolted on the gpu (1.193V and OC'd to 1550MHz), and I even "OC'd" my cpu to the boost clock of 3.7GHz and set the voltage to 1.4V because it was jumping up to 1.42 and even 1.44V just letting it handle the boost. I still can hit 80c and even spikes to 90c in some games. The 2400g will just be just as hot, and most likely more. So you won't be able to OC as much (maybe having to settle for less than max boost clock and undervolting the cpu and gpu at their base clocks).

Only use dual channel ram configurations on Ryzen. So 2x 4GB or 2x 8GB. Also the higher the speed the better. So I'd save the $40 on the Noctua cooler and put it towards getting a 16gb kit of 3200MHz ram (3000MHz absolute minimum is my recommendation as just 100-200mhz can make a noticeable difference with performance). Just use the stock Wraith Stealth for now and if you want to upgrade to a new APU in the future, or are hitting thermal issues, then you can always put a Noctua in later, unless you don't want to deal with that now. From everything I have read, the Noctua may be slightly cooler, but most likely will hit similar temps but just be quieter. So if the extra money doesn't bother you, just grab it now for more quiet operation, though the stock isn't that bad.

I use the AB350 Fatal1ty board with my 2200g and its great. So I'd assume the 450 would be as good or better.

I'd also suggest getting a smaller m.2 ssd (maybe 128-256GB) just for the OS and using a second SSD for data/games. or if you want to go with a bigger m.2 upfront, I'd do that to begin with since you'd have to take the motherboard out to access the m.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. So just run the sata cable and power cable to where you will put it in the future if you don't install a 2.5" ssd right away.

If you want to expand with a gpu in the future, then steer clear of the Chopin. The only person I have seen do it, took out their psu, cut up the case and put in a low profile 1050ti and used a pico power unit to replace the psu (not worth the hassle). Look at the Dan S4 or if you want to spend some money, the S4 mini (or Skyreach mini as its now called) are what I would want, though its a more expensive chassis and requires a more expensive psu option. Silverstone has some smaller itx cases that are usually cheaper.

Also check out ASRock's Deskmini a300w. If you dont do much heavy OC'ing, then that is more intriguing to me (and I own an InWin BQ656, which is the chopin chassis without the fancy metal side bracket). It comes with the PSU and motherboard, though I think its just a 120w psu, so really no OCing with a 2400g, and would want to undervolt if possible.

Reactions: KareemGT
Solution