[SOLVED] Thoughts on my PC build?

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
Hello! I am building my own PC for the first time. I have done a good amount of research, but before I commit to a final plan and start trying (and likely failing) to get my hands on some of these parts, can some people tell me if these parts are good? Is my system balanced? I plan on playing some video games on this (COD, Minecraft, etc.) and possibly doing some light creative work, such as 1080p video editing. My budget is $1500 (tax included), though slightly below or above is perfectly fine.

PC Part Picker List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wxXNYg

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Thanks! So no incompatible parts? No underpowered parts, specifically, my SSD? Also, is CAS Latency 17 enough?

There's a few changes I would make - better SSD, full ATX motherboard, and better cooler, among other things:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda...

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks! So no incompatible parts? No underpowered parts, specifically, my SSD? Also, is CAS Latency 17 enough?

There's a few changes I would make - better SSD, full ATX motherboard, and better cooler, among other things:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($399.99)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.90)
Total: $1419.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-22 00:01 EST-0500

Reactions: woofer300
Solution

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($399.99)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.90)
Total: $1419.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-22 00:01 EST-0500
Hello! Thank you so much for the response. Three things. 1. I'm not looking for a super speedy SSD. How's an upgrade to the Team Group MP34? 2. Any specific reasons to upgrade to the ATX version of this model? It's 20 bucks more and I looked over everything, and I'm not getting anything extra that I need. 3. Do I need a better cooler even if I am not overclocking? If I did get a better cooler, would the setup be fit to overclock? Thanks!

g-unit1111

Titan
Hello! Thank you so much for the response. Three things. 1. I'm not looking for a super speedy SSD. How's an upgrade to the Team Group MP34? 2. Any specific reasons to upgrade to the ATX version of this model? It's 20 bucks more and I looked over everything, and I'm not getting anything extra that I need. 3. Do I need a better cooler even if I am not overclocking? If I did get a better cooler, would the setup be fit to overclock? Thanks!

That's a decent drive, but a lot of SSD manufacturers are getting flack because their internal components aren't exactly what they are advertised. If you're buying, do your research before going with a brand like that. Usually the safest bets for M2 drives right now are Intel, Western Digital, Samsung, and Crucial. Storage , and especially M2 drives, are one area where you really do get what you pay for. This is one area where I would not go with a cheaper drive. Especially if it's going to be your primary boot drive, you want the best you can get.

And motherboard - I usually get full size ATX motherboards for full size cases, it makes installation much easier. As far as cooler goes if you're not overclocking then you don't need to buy a 3rd party cooler at all, the AMD cooler is sufficient enough. Use that money elsewhere.

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
That's a decent drive, but a lot of SSD manufacturers are getting flack because their internal components aren't exactly what they are advertised. If you're buying, do your research before going with a brand like that. Usually the safest bets for M2 drives right now are Intel, Western Digital, Samsung, and Crucial. Storage , and especially M2 drives, are one area where you really do get what you pay for. This is one area where I would not go with a cheaper drive. Especially if it's going to be your primary boot drive, you want the best you can get.

And motherboard - I usually get full size ATX motherboards for full size cases, it makes installation much easier. As far as cooler goes if you're not overclocking then you don't need to buy a 3rd party cooler at all, the AMD cooler is sufficient enough. Use that money elsewhere.
Ok, great. (Probably) final thing, if I did get a good cooler, could I overclock? Or would I also need to upgrade other things as well? Thanks.

g-unit1111

Titan
Ok, great. (Probably) final thing, if I did get a good cooler, could I overclock? Or would I also need to upgrade other things as well? Thanks.

Yes, and that also depends on the motherboard you have. How far you overclock can depend on a lot of different variables like the kind of RAM you have, your motherboard VRMs, power supply and so on. Even on the stock cooler you can unlock all cores and run a mild overclock but I wouldn't take it too far unless you get an aftermarket cooler. The Hyper 212 is decent but it is very old compared to a lot of the coolers you can buy currently.

Reactions: woofer300

woofer300

Prominent
Dec 20, 2020
Yes, and that also depends on the motherboard you have. How far you overclock can depend on a lot of different variables like the kind of RAM you have, your motherboard VRMs, power supply and so on. Even on the stock cooler you can unlock all cores and run a mild overclock but I wouldn't take it too far unless you get an aftermarket cooler. The Hyper 212 is decent but it is very old compared to a lot of the coolers you can buy currently.
Ok, thank you so much! This sounds great. Last question, is there a reason why you put G.Skill Trident Z RGB Memory instead of the Patriot Viper Steel Memory I had before? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS