thoughts on parts for Linux machine for work

Apr 5, 2018
My laptop is starting to play up so I've been tempted to move to a desktop as my work machine when WFH. I've put together a list of parts that seem like they'd server me well but I'm Keen not to pay for stuff if the cost vs benefit isn't good i.e. is i7 worth the extra money over i5.

Any feedback would be appreciated

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJHyXP

Solution

Well then a simple i3 8100 or ryzen 1400 will be enough. For vms you want more cores so a ryzen 1600 can be nice (the new 2000 series of ryzen launches in 14 days so if you can wait get one of those).
Since you aren't going to use a gpu a ryzen 5 2400g or i5 8400 will be plenty for you.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
it will depend on your work load, but in general an i7 is not worth the extra cost.

What will you be doing on this machine, if it is just email, word processing etc, then any cheap CPU will do the trick.

Have you considered an AMD alternative.

What are you doing with this machine? General coding can be done on a simple pentium.

Apr 5, 2018
I'm largely coding (can include working with VMs for testing and / or tools like docker), video conferencing, writing docs and image processing.

I'm not opposed to AMD alternatives.

Well then a simple i3 8100 or ryzen 1400 will be enough. For vms you want more cores so a ryzen 1600 can be nice (the new 2000 series of ryzen launches in 14 days so if you can wait get one of those).
Since you aren't going to use a gpu a ryzen 5 2400g or i5 8400 will be plenty for you.

Solution