[SOLVED] Thoughts on pc build?

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/fuzz3yy/saved/LyK8rH

planning to use mainly for games and editing

Really nice build - can't find any fault with it for your intended uses....

My only thought is on timing - given you are looking at a fairly high end card in a 2070 Super, you may want to hold fire as nVidia have confirmed their next gen cards are due very soon (no specific date given but should be before end of September). The initial release will only be the higher end cards, so if you were looking at lower tier stuff (1660 / 2060 range) then I'd say go for it, however the initial line up might go as far as a '3070' or whatever they end up calling it. It's difficult to know for sure, just if you aren't in a massive rush could be worth holding on to find out what they are offering.

Solution
I really don't get everyone posting to get large tower coolers or heavy duty AIO coolers for a 3700X... it's only a 65W part with essentially 0 overclocking headroom. The provided cooler is ample to run it at stock, and if you do want to boost gaming performance there are much better gains to be had tuning the memory timings than attempting to overclock the thing....

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see anyone mentioning overclocking?

That said, the stock cooler DOES work for some, and is inadequate for others; it depends on his and her's hardware and chassis cooling.
Also, Ryzen 3000 has much in common with Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series in that they'll push for higher frequencies on their own if the thermal headroom is there, so there is some worth in tower and liquid coolers.

Can't forget the matter of the motherboard vendors: some models have their stock bios tweaked to push for higher performance out of the box, which the stock cooler isn't adequate for - but not everyone is going to be aware of that, they'll just be like:
"Why are my thermals so darn high?", etc.

I don't see anyone mentioning overclocking?

That said, the stock cooler DOES work for some, and is inadequate for others; it depends on his and her's hardware and chassis cooling.
Also, Ryzen 3000 has much in common with Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series in that they'll push for higher frequencies on their own if the thermal headroom is there, so there is some worth in tower and liquid coolers.

Can't forget the matter of the motherboard vendors: some models have their stock bios tweaked to push for higher performance out of the box, which the stock cooler isn't adequate for - but not everyone is going to be aware of that, they'll just be like:
"Why are my thermals so darn high?", etc.

You are underestimating the cooler AMD provide with the 3700X... this isn't the same as an Intel stock cooler, it's comes with a Wraith Prism air cooler with is rated to 95W, well above the cpu.

It is good enough to handle PBO without horrendous temps, in fact it's better than a lot of tower coolers people recommend and the downdraft of air provided by this type of cooler helps keep VRM temps low (this is actually a trap many fall into when using an AIO- you have to make sure you have very strong airflow through the case as an AIO effectively removes any direct airflow over the VRM heat-sinks).

Here is a video comparing the box cooler with a 360mm AIO:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBQ1RUeV_oo

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-No, I'm not underestimating them.

-Yay... Tech Yes City's benchmark represents everyone's hardware + chassis configurations and whatever they use the cpu for, so I should shut up, as well as the actual owners who have complained about thermals.
I guess you win.

I have a used the Wraith Prism and it may be sufficient for some users with good case airflow and reasonable ambient temperatures.

In my air conditioned home the Prism was sufficient but quite loud under load. Folding at Home was the only program that would push temps into the mid to high 80C range. Gaming in the mid to high 70C range.

The Spire tends to be more of an issue for most.

The Prism is okay if on a tight budget. I’d suggest giving it a shot and see if it performs in your situation.

Reactions: cdrkf and Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, and I forgot about this regarding the OP's choice of chassis:
Since it only comes preinstalled with one fan, with an AIO/CLC, they can get a stronger and quieter cooler and the 2 rad fans can be used as chassis intake, instead of having to buy front front fans, etc.

I have a used the Wraith Prism and it may be sufficient for some users with good case airflow and reasonable ambient temperatures.

In my air conditioned home the Prism was sufficient but quite loud under load. Folding at Home was the only program that would push temps into the mid to high 80C range. Gaming in the mid to high 70C range.

The Prism is okay if on a tight budget. I’d suggest giving it a shot and see if it performs in your situation.
Winner!
@fuzzy222
Just try the stock cooler out. If it's not to your liking, you know what to do.

This is a sensible approach +1

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen that, and Hardware Unboxed's video regarding the Prism coolers, but there are threads on here and other tech sites contradicting these results...
So which is it? I'm led to believe that it can be either good or insufficient, depending on the user's hardware config and the chassis airflow.

I'm also very wary of AIO liquid coolers after having problems with them in the past (I've run into pump failures as well as VRM thermal issues using them). I guess everyone experience is different though and with a setup like this the thermal load is low enough that whatever the OP goes with should work fine.
I see...
This is my first time running a liquid cooler; mounted on my 1080Ti. 3 months along without issue so far... I was skeptical about them at first, but my curiosity got the better of me.
The biggest downside I see with these things so far is that one needs a backup cooler on hand when it does fail, or they have to wait for a new one to come in.

Reactions: cdrkf

TRENDING THREADS