Question Thoughts on replacing my Lenovo y410p laptop base case: basically full disassemble & reassemble

bsc249

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
Hello,
Basically I want to know if you think an average techy person, not professionally trained, can dismantle and rebuild a laptop by watching some YouTube videos. Difficulty level?

I've had my Lenovo y410p for about 6 years now and during that time I've done several simpler upgrades and replacements: Ram, LCD screen, Bottom thermal door, and repaired the mouse pad from a tip I found on you tube :) I'm also about to buy a new SSD to replace my HDD and will be replacing that shortly. So I'm not afraid to open it up.

Why, you ask, would I want to replace the bottom base case and basically take everything apart? Well the hinges on this laptop, which are notorious for breaking, are both now completely toast and my laptop is held together with duck tape, see pics below. The hinges are part of the bottom base case, along with everything else... While it is still a functional lid, when the tape is on, I have to be overly cautious when opening and closing. I also replace the tape every couple of months and it just looks like crap :) I do not play games on this, it has a 4th gen i7 4700MQ processor, 16gb ram and soon a 500gb SSD, which is all more than sufficient for my needs.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated - Thank you!

y410p hinge
y410p top view

Last edited:
Ugly!!
Yes, it is time to replace the base.
If you can read instructions and are careful. I see no reason why you should not be successful.
My only caveat is to be careful with the screws so you do not misplace them, confuse them, or strip them.
You really have nothing to lose.
Here is a link to the y410p Hardware maintenance manual.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/580914/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y410p.html#manual

Reactions: bsc249

bsc249

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

bsc249

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
As another poster suggested, at this point, for an older laptop, I would just buy a working system in better shape instead of looking to buy a shell and swap your parts into it.
Also, generally a good suggestion :)

In my case though, I have a few factors that make upgrading my y410p a viable option. Some of which are:
  • My core i7 4700MQ processor is still very relevant today.
  • $80 bucks for a 500gb SSD (Samsung 860 EVO) - I don't think they were even making 500GB SSD's when I bought this - LOL
  • I have the time to do the project.
  • I have done several minor upgrades/repairs already so I am generally not afraid to open it up.
  • The overall cost of upgrading vs buying new will save me in the range of $800 bucks. I did not compromise when I bought my y410p: 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD, uprgaded wireless card and i7 4700MQ were all premium add-ons when I bought it. I believe you get what you pay for.
  • I actually enjoy pulling the guts out :)
Finally - If it wasn't for all the great advice from people helping with the process on this site, it would not have been considered.

I really do appreciate all the help I get from the community here. Not just answers to my posts but reading all the replies to other peoples questions.

bsc249

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
Phase 1 of fixing up the old laptop was a HUGE succes :) The Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) was ridiculously easy to to installl and the cloning software was a breeze. Used my own wavlink docking bay for the cloning process via USB 3.0 - quick and easy and my laptop is scary fast now!

Now on to Phase 2 and replace get rid of the duck tape holding the base cover in place!

Thx for all the tips and comments!

TRENDING THREADS