Question Thoughts on Ryzen 5 3600 in the long run vs Intel

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Ryzen literally smashed the CPU world at the release of their ryzen CPUs. From the first Gen. to the latest Gen. I was planning to purchase a desktop PC and upgrade my PC. I was thinking of Intel's newest gen of i7 perhaps an i9 yet I was surprised by how many cores, threads and the affordability of Ryzen cpus. I used to work on i7 PCs and I have seen their capability and productivity, eventually gaming experiences in the long run even if a new gen of cpu is released. On the other hand, I used to have an AMD desktop, it was the latest at that point and it was literally smashed by intel's newest gen of cpus which made me realize it wasn't performing better in the long run which made me switched to intel. However, in today's CPU market Ryzen cpus are combating the intel processors. I was planning to buy an Ryzen 5 3600 and I am confused as to buy an ryzen or buy an 8th gen or 9th gen i7.

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Ryzen literally smashed the CPU world at the release of their ryzen CPUs. From the first Gen. to the latest Gen. I was planning to purchase a desktop PC and upgrade my PC. I was thinking of Intel's newest gen of i7 perhaps an i9 yet I was surprised by how many cores, threads and the affordability of Ryzen cpus. I used to work on i7 PCs and I have seen their capability and productivity, eventually gaming experiences in the long run even if a new gen of cpu is released. On the other hand, I used to have an AMD desktop, it was the latest at that point and it was literally smashed by intel's newest gen of cpus which made me realize it wasn't performing better in the long run which made me switched to intel. However, in today's CPU market Ryzen cpus are combating the intel processors. I was planning to buy an Ryzen 5 3600 and I am confused as to buy an ryzen or buy an 8th gen or 9th gen i7.

P.S. Recommend a mid - to - high end CPU from an AMD or Intel.

ratAB

Commendable
Feb 23, 2020
Ryzen in the long term,. Intel = bad

A lot depends on what you do. And your budget. But avoid intel 8th gen at this point, as new prices aren't good.

For anything under $200 or so, Ryzen is your only option. The only Intel CPUs at this pricepoint lack in multithreaded performance since they have 4 or 6 threads where Ryzen has 12 threads starting with the $85 1600af. Also, sub $200 intel CPUs lose in gaming performance in most cases since they are locked and the clock speed is not strong enough to make up for the core and cache deficit vs Ryzen.

Really between $200 and $300, Intel really has only the 6 thread 9600k, which is up against the cheaper Ryzen 5 3600x with 12 threads. The 9600k is slightly better in overall FPS in most older titles, but in some newer demanding games, it can have stutter issues thanks to its lackluster thread count where the Ryzen 5 3600x may not. In the future, this will only get worse for the 9600k.

The i7 9700k and i9 9900k make sense if you are chasing the maximum frame rate in games and maybe occasionally doing some editing and things like that. The Ryzen 7 3800x is around $40 cheaper than the 9700k and loses a bit in gaming all round but performs better in most other tasks. The Ryzen 9 3900x is about $80-100 cheaper than the I9 9900k and yet again loses a bit in games but beats it by a lot in most other tasks.

shoohs

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Last in performance for the years to come. Like the system would probably still be able to compete games and tasking for a couple of years.

Last edited:

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
I guess we'll see in a few years how the Ryzens hold up. Seems like there should not be any issues in the future because all the Ryzens are unlocked so we can always get some more out of them. People are still OC'ing the first few gen Intel chips that can be unlocked. But if AMD keeps the costs as low as they have been kind of makes sense to just upgrade when you feel left behind.

Intel is trying desparately to compete in the enthusiast/DIY market. Whatever they're coming out with is just a rehash of 6 (some say 10) year old architectures clocked up to power hungry furnaces to do so. That's really not 'where it's at' right now, people want power friendly. They're 10nm efforts aren't materializing and all reports are they're working feverishly for whatever it is that will actually come next... 5nm?

Whatever they're selling now (or the 10th 'gen' that's coming) isn't going to be something that will stand the test of time because it's time is clearly passed already.

Reactions: RodroX and Phaaze88

Uberwolf

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Well the Intel Core i7-9700K (9th Gen) is a smashing CPU and will be a top notch performer in any new build or upgrade especially if you want to overclock. Being around the £400 mark it is a tad pricey The AMD equivalent, in price anyway is the Ryzen 7 3700X which can be had for a bit less is also a great CPU if you are not bothered with overclocking. So either CPU would be a great addition to any upgrade or new build, depends or what you want. I do hope the amd vs intel fanboy wars are not going to start up again, both companies make great kit and if it was not for the fact that both companies are competing these CPU's would cost a lot more.

both companies make great kit
The titular question isn't really about who makes the best kit, but about which will endure in the long run. There really is no 'long run' in the simple sense with anything in electronics so what you really have to think of 'where is it going'.

So, the point of what I wrote is...Intel's just bumping up against the wall with what they're doing now and not significantly advancing. But they are indeed feverishly at work on what truly is the next best thing. So if you're eye is on the future and looking at an expensive 10th gen processor and the expensive motherboard it needs then you need to consider that where it's going is in the bin when Intel finally comes out with their Ryzen-buster as soon as they can possibly bring it to market. If, I mean, you're really interested in what you're going to do long-term.

Wait till the new intel cpu hit the streets later this month, all of this CPU will come with HT enable. So after you see some reviews pick AMD or Intel new candidates with more information. Considering the current Intel 9th gen, when the 10th gen is around the corner does not make much sense.

I would really wait and see if youre not in a hurry. And if you are, then for me, the best CPU today for the long run is the Ryzen 7 3700X. (Unless you have the money to buy the Core i9 9900K, but then again your busying a dead platform, not many people like that, I wouldn't do it).

Cheers!

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Intel is trying desparately to compete in the enthusiast/DIY market.
Intel isn't "desperate" by a long shot, its CPUs are still on par or ahead of AMD's Zen 2 lineup in many games even at stock clocks. Bang-per-buck-wise, the 10th-gen brings long-overdue pricing and core/thread count adjustments, not much to complain about there either.

It'll be a fine time to buy on either side.

Intel isn't "desperate" by a long shot, its CPUs are still on par or ahead of AMD's Zen 2 lineup in many games even at stock clocks. Bang-per-buck-wise, the 10th-gen brings long-overdue pricing and core/thread count adjustments, not much to complain about there either.

It'll be a fine time to buy on either side.
Looking at enthusiast/DIY sales seems to tell a different story. Especially in over-seas markets where the consumer isn't so 'brand name fixated'. But actually, the desperation isn't over performance or sales, it's over brand identity. The longer AMD can keep it up the harder it will be for Intel to claw back share as AMD is increasingly viewed as not just a value brand but a performance leader worthy of sitting right alongside the best Intel has. In short: if they don't get back solidly on top they'll never be able to demand the insane margins they have previously.

They're making money, sure. But mostly the OEM/System Integrators. I do have to imagine 10th gen will see an uptick though since as you say they've improved bang-for-buck a bunch. And with 'moar cores' too!

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Looking at enthusiast/DIY sales seems to tell a different story. Especially in over-seas markets where the consumer isn't so 'brand name fixated'. But actually, the desperation isn't over performance or sales, it's over brand identity. The longer AMD can keep it up the harder it will be for Intel to claw back share as AMD is increasingly viewed as not just a value brand but a performance leader worthy of sitting right alongside the best Intel has. In short: if they don't get back solidly on top they'll never be able to demand the insane margins they have previously.

They're making money, sure. But mostly the OEM/System Integrators. I do have to imagine 10th gen will see an uptick though since as you say they've improved bang-for-buck a bunch. And with 'moar cores' too!

Exactly, I live in Argentina and Intel has been always way more expsinve than any AMD "similar" cpu. Its insane and stupid, specially considering most 6 cores intel parts are already showing thier limits in many new games. And don't get me talking about platform and cooler cost, even if you could get a "K" cpu in here, then you would have to spend a lot of many for an OC motherboard and a very good and expensive cooler if you want to try overlocking.
AMD is hands down (for now) the best of all around cpu. At least where I live and in huge part of the world.

The thing with Ryzen has already overflown the frontiers of desktop enthusiast/DIY.
Me and the big majority of my techie friends and colleagues from work have our mind set, for the time been and till something new is on the horizon from intel, if we were offered with a Notebook, or if we have to advice for buying lots of them for the employees, between the new intel cpu (14nm+++++) mobile orthe new Ryzen 4xxx mobile, the choice is easy, Ryzen all the way, its cheaper, reliable, runs cooler, battery last longer and the performance is comparable if not better than most intel available parts.

And we are not even talking about Threadripper as the new workstation beast.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Prices have dropped enough on 3700X to make it the new starting point...; it'd be hard to imagine it being considered 'too slow' or marginal for gaming for at least two or three years, if not longer...
Back in December, Gamer Nexus benchmarked some CPUs going all the way back to the i5-4690k and the conclusion was that the i7-4790k or newer equivalents are still good enough for most recent games if your target is ~60fps. For non-enthusiasts. even 6c12t should be more than fine for many years.

Reactions: RodroX
Back in December, Gamer Nexus benchmarked some CPUs going all the way back to the i5-4690k and the conclusion was that the i7-4790k or newer equivalents are still good enough for most recent games if your target is ~60fps. For non-enthusiasts. even 6c12t should be more than fine for many years.

Only problem with that is getting one at a reasonable price and condition. But yeah, the Core i7 with its 4 cores and 8 threads is still a good contender.

Last edited:
He just benchmarked many older I5 and i7s from over the years in modern games vs new CPUs.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPWEdbfJ0oE