[SOLVED] Thoughts on Ryzen 9 3900 build.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I'm building a tower computer with a Ryzen 9 3900 processor. For all the years I've been doing computer work this is actually my first ground up computer build. So I figured I'd run it past you guys to make sure there's nothing wrong with it or things that need to be improved before I actually buy it.

Here's the partpicker list for your inspection. Tell me what you think of it.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
What are you doing with this PC, work or play? With that CPU you REALLY need a better cooler than stock.
It's my new business computer. I'm running Autocad and some other memory and graphics intensive programs. I don't want to overclock on this project so that will help with the heat issue to some extent, what cooler would you recommend for this processor.

$700 for a motherboard? I'm sure it is a very nice motherboard but still

Is there a better option you'd recommend? While money is somewhat of a concern my top priority right now is quality.

I've edited your list slightly.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($359.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($314.99 @ Corsair)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($314.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($374.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($179.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2363.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-20 12:10 EDT-0400

Reactions: Encryption+
Solution

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Thanks for the recommendations (that SSD is a nice upgrade), I'm thinking of adding a 16TB HD as a dedicated backup drive for the computer. I've never used the Exos drives, anybody have any opinions on them. Seagate's a pretty well known brand and I've never had a problem with them so I assume they're fine.

The only change I have a question about is how much of a performance difference is there between the X570 Master motherboard and the X570 Extreme. The price difference is pretty large so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the two.

Thanks for the recommendations (that SSD is a nice upgrade), I'm thinking of adding a 16TB HD as a dedicated backup drive for the computer. I've never used the Exos drives, anybody have any opinions on them. Seagate's a pretty well known brand and I've never had a problem with them so I assume they're fine.

The only change I have a question about is how much of a performance difference is there between the X570 Master motherboard and the X570 Extreme. The price difference is pretty large so I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the two.
There is no performance difference between those motherboards. The main differences are 14 vs 16 phase VRM, the extreme has a better VRM heatsink and fanless chipset heatsink and has 10Gb networking.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/gigabyte-aorus-x570-ryzen_3000-motherboards,39504.html

Reactions: Encryption+

TRENDING THREADS