Question Thoughts on these two PCs?

Mar 15, 2019
Long story short, I posted on here awhile back about some AIO, but every response said to go for a traditional desktop over an AIO. So I'm now looking for a traditional desktop.

Here are two that I have been quoted by Dell for. These supposedly come with big savings from current promotions, though I have seen them on Best Buy and Hpphotovideo for around the same price (best buy didn't have the 256 GB SSD though). Do either of these seem like good values for what you are getting? (pretty much a noob when it comes to what I'm looking for)

PC 1:

Final Price: USD $574.32
Configuration
Inspiron 3670: Inspiron Desktop 3670 (Intel®)
Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor (9"
MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video Card: Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Memory: 8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
Hard Drive: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
CD ROM/DVD ROM: DVD-RW Drive

Pc 2:

Final Price: USD $590.72
Configuration
XPS 8930: XPS 8930 Base
Processor: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-8100 4-Core Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit English
Video Card: Intel® HD Graphics (620)
Memory: 8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive: 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive + 1TB 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA Hard Drive
CD ROM/DVD ROM: DVD-RW Drive

Side note, the first only has BGN wireless, while the XPS has AC wireless.

Should I consider either of these, or should I continue to look? Saw an HP with similar specs with a Ryzen 5 processor near same price, but only had a 180watt power supply. Don't know much about what that means, but many of the reviews said the power supply was very small. Anything else I should for in specs?

Mar 15, 2019
Can you follow this thread and pass on what you're looking for in your build? Depending on your followup post, the parts you've selected are either ideal or not enough for your tasks.

Answers to some of the bolded questions:

-Don't have too purchase immediately, but within a month or so.
-Budget wise, trying to stay under $600
-This is for basic home computing, streaming, browsing etc. Maybe light to moderate gaming at most. (use PS4 for gaming 90% of time)
-Have a 1440x900 monitor right now, so don't need to upgrade right away but will eventually
-Im looking to upgrade because I've been using a Vostro 400 since 2007 with windows vista still

In general. I'm looking for a good value PC that is speedy (i've been told the SSD, though small in these will help that a lot), reliable, good storage, and quiet for your average family usage of browsing, and streaming videos/movies. May be used for business programs, so multi-tasking would be extra incentive. (I know the I5 is 6 core, to the I3 being 4 core). Light to moderate gaming.

In no way am I set on just one of these two. These are just two of the better deals I've come across, though I admit I don't know exactly where to look outside of the big brand stores (best buy, staples, etc), or the desktop brand sites themselves.

PS: I forgot to mention, I do have 400 mb internet, so I would prefer AC wireless, but if deal was good enough, I would stick with the BGN, which I think goes up to 150 or so? And I was just told that Dell Inspiron can't be upgraded. What you buy is what you get? Came from Dell rep... So that stinks.

So basically Dell told me if I want AC wireless, you have to upgrade from an Inspiron to the XPS. But as you can see, it isn't much of an upgrade considering the graphics card, and processor are both worse. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
In general, the XPS models of Dells are higher quality than their other models, most often the power supply is better quality outside of the other parts, so that is a big plus. For general use, the weaker CPU won't be an issue at all. For "gaming", neither is really good without a video card installed, for that you would need to know the power supplies in them, but likely the XPS would be better.

Mar 15, 2019
Is the 8 GB ram to 16 GB ram significant as far as how the computer will run? I know the processor has a better benchmark. I'm just wondering if I should look for an SSD immediately or if the 1 TB HDD x7200 is plenty fast enough for now.

This is coming from someone that is still using a 12 year old windows vista with 2 GB ram and a 256 GB HDD. Yes, I said 2 GB ram lol. So I know it will probably seem night and day to me, but in general terms compared to todays PCs, is their a huge difference between a PC with a SSD vs just an HDD?

Mar 15, 2019
Last edited: