[SOLVED] Thoughts on this budget build? Compatible?

Mar 19, 2020
What's your thought on this build? Any suggestions? Is it all compatible?

CPU
Ryzen 5 1600 AF
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Power Supply
No idea. Suggestions that are compatible and not too expensive? Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W?
RAM
2x4gb 3000Mhz
Case
Inter-tech b-49
Video card
AMD Radeon HD 7770 (i know, terrible :p, its from my old computer, i will upgrade it soon but not yet)

hard drive from my old pc

Solution
3000mhz memory will probably not work with that CPU unless you manually configure it for 2933mhz. You can certainly try though. I'd make sure that it is compatible with the motherboard first. Corsair has a "Memory finder" and G.Skill has the "Memory configurator". If you Google them they will come up. You can verify that any given memory kit is compatible with THAT specific board.

I would stick to either Corsair or G.Skill unless it is not possible due to not being available in your region. Other memory types seem to have a lot less compatibility across the board with Ryzen, although there is no doubt that other memory can be used, it is much harder to validate compatibility because the rest of the brands seem to not have the same...
3000mhz memory will probably not work with that CPU unless you manually configure it for 2933mhz. You can certainly try though. I'd make sure that it is compatible with the motherboard first. Corsair has a "Memory finder" and G.Skill has the "Memory configurator". If you Google them they will come up. You can verify that any given memory kit is compatible with THAT specific board.

I would stick to either Corsair or G.Skill unless it is not possible due to not being available in your region. Other memory types seem to have a lot less compatibility across the board with Ryzen, although there is no doubt that other memory can be used, it is much harder to validate compatibility because the rest of the brands seem to not have the same level of compatibility checking as those two do.

As for the PSU, no, you do not want the Smart series from Thermaltake.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My own experience with that CPU - I used Corsair 3200Mhz RAM, but it was unstable unless I manually set it down to 3066MHz. Still, if you have to set the 3000 down to 2933, you're really not losing much at all (2.2% slower RAM speed, almost unnoticeable impact in real world performance)

Look at the discussion link in Darkbreeze's sig (same as the first link in my sig) - he's got an excellent write up on PSU quality, what to look for, and what to avoid. This has become an absolute must-use guide as far as I'm concerned.

Mar 19, 2020

I would stick to either Corsair or G.Skill unless it is not possible due to not being available in your region. Other memory types seem to have a lot less compatibility across the board with Ryzen, although there is no doubt that other memory can be used, it is much harder to validate compatibility because the rest of the brands seem to not have the same level of compatibility checking as those two do.

As for the PSU, no, you do not want the Smart series from Thermaltake.

Thanks a bunch. Read through the article and changed my PSU accordingly to the Seasonic S12III-550GB. However, it did not adress the concept of compatibility. Now, I am new to PC building and have no idea if that's even worth adressing. Should I check a PSU's compatibility before buying? What to look at?

And regarding the RAM, so I shoud look at the compatibility between the RAM and the motherboard and manually change the Mhz from 3000 to 2933 or buy 3200 memory and change it to 3066? Is there also an easier option for RAM compatible with my cpu that won't need me to check the compatibility between RAM and mobo and reconfigure it?

I would not recommend the S12III. It is not made by Seasonic. It is farmed out to a third party manufacturer. Reviews of it are not good, unlike most other Seasonic models historically. That is specifically mentioned in the recommendation guide as quoted below from that page.

THAT being said, there ARE some units being sold with the Seasonic label that are NOT built by Seasonic. They use Seasonic designed platforms but are built by RSY. For now I believe these are limited to the S12III models, and they should be COMPLETELY avoided, because they are not good quality and in my opinion should not be allowed to carry the Seasonic name, but instead should have been relegated to the Hydrance or Energy power enterprise products which I understand are Seasonic subsidiaries that do not carry the Seasonic brand name. They are not good units based on reviews so far and should be avoided. If that changes based on new information then I will happily remove this paragraph but until then, stay away from them if you are expecting something that is "typical" of Seasonic. These S12III models, are not.

As to the memory. This kit would be my best budget recommendation for that board and CPU, and shows as being validated for that motherboard.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $74.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-07 00:41 EDT-0400

Reactions: King_V