Thoughts on this build - should I use liquid cooling instead?

330am12

Prominent
Sep 1, 2018
So I posted this build on somewhere else and someone said I should cancel as the cooler can't handle the CPU. They recommended liquid cooling instead. Any thoughts?

I used CyberPowerPC (yes, I heard it's a nightmare... let's see how it goes) and cost altogether was $1729 without shipping, $1838 with shipping. This is in USD. In CAD about $2400 without the fees that comes with imports.

Any advice appreciated! I can also cancel it since I just ordered it so all suggestions are welcome.

CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-04 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/USB 3.0 & Side Panel Window [-126] (Black/Red)

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz [4.35GHz Turbo] Eight-Core 20MB Cache 105W Processor

CASE FAN: 3X 120mm CyberpowerPC 120mm Addressable RGB 1200RPM Fans w/ Hub + Remote Controller

FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler w/ PWM fan - Efficient Cooling Performance [-7]

HDD: 256GB ADATA XPG ASX6000NP-256GT-C PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 1000/800 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 100/110k [-39] (Single Drive)

HDD2: 3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+14] (Single Drive)

MEMORY:
16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)

MOTHERBOARD:
MSI X470 GAMING PLUS AM4 ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, Gbt LAN, 3 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - EVGA 850W GQ 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [+20]

VIDEO:
GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] [+236] (Single Card)

Solution
I'd not stick a 160mm hyper212 in a case that's supposedly only got 150mm of cpu cooler clearance, even though there are a few videos/reviews that say it'll fit with 1mm to spare.

It's also a budget cooler on a high-end cpu, basically not even as good as the Wraith Prism. There are better options.

The 2700x already hits high with turbo and really won't take much more of an OC, so unless you plan on something big like a Noctua NH-D15S or 240/280mm aio, then the stock cooler is going to be good enough for the cpus needs.
GPU and PSU is good to go, which is usually the problem buying prebuilts. Everything else looks good also. Yeah, cooler is the only thing lacking.

You can always buy your own cooler and install it. They CM Hyper 212 only costs $30 (well the LED is probably more), it's not like you'd be wasting a lot of money by not using it. So just see how it goes and if you need a better cooler just buy one and install it. That might void your 1-year warranty. Maybe just use it AS-IS for the first year.

The CM Hyper 212 is in the same ballpark and would get about the same temps as the stock Wraith Prism cooler that comes with the 2700X.

330am12

Prominent
Sep 1, 2018
Thank you so much for quick responses from both of you.

I don't plan on overclocking the CPU.

I do play some games like GTA V, Saints Row 3 or 4, Resident Evil 4 and Flight Simulator X. But I'm not a heavy gamer and mainly plan on rendering scenes from DAZ3D - but I heard this is GPU intensive rather than CPU, so not sure how much of an impact that has.

If this changes anything with regards to the cooling, I'd love to hear.

Thanks again!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd not stick a 160mm hyper212 in a case that's supposedly only got 150mm of cpu cooler clearance, even though there are a few videos/reviews that say it'll fit with 1mm to spare.

It's also a budget cooler on a high-end cpu, basically not even as good as the Wraith Prism. There are better options.

The 2700x already hits high with turbo and really won't take much more of an OC, so unless you plan on something big like a Noctua NH-D15S or 240/280mm aio, then the stock cooler is going to be good enough for the cpus needs.

Solution