[SOLVED] Thoughts on this build?

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
So Im looking to purchase a brand new pc. originally I went in with a budget of 1500USD with the idea that id run me 2k with taxes and monitors, mouse etc. but from what Im looking at on ibuypower my expectations are gonna have to be bumped up by another $500. I've never made a big purchase like this for myself so I rather not risk myself screwing up a custom build and rather just have a site build it for me. That being said I'd like to get your thoughts on whether this is a good enough build or whether I should replace certain parts or buy elsewhere. As well as any advice on how to tell the quality of a component if possible. Here's the specs for what im considering: https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PU23M

The cost is running me $1947. I could go for this build during the halloween sale or wait until black friday and see if anything better comes up.

While I am adamant about not doing a complete custom build, I would be open to using another builder site if you guys recommend any. Specially one where I might find a cheaper alternative.

Last edited:
Solution
Power Supply :: 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Exact model of this PSU?

RTX 30 series GPUs have high transient spikes. It would be wise to get a good quality PSU to handle the GPU.

Case :: iBUYPOWER Slate HAKO MR Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Level-Up-Sale-Intel-X299-2021

This case looks exposed at its front panel with some fancy opening crack. I would be cautious not to have any liquids residing in the vicinity of your system if you were to go for it.

Case Fans :: Default Case Fan
These default fan's bearings will usually wear and tear over time (after 2-3 years) after which, you will hear noticeable sounds. By then it would be ideal to replace them.

SLI Bridge ...
Power Supply :: 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified
Exact model of this PSU?

RTX 30 series GPUs have high transient spikes. It would be wise to get a good quality PSU to handle the GPU.

Case :: iBUYPOWER Slate HAKO MR Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case

This case looks exposed at its front panel with some fancy opening crack. I would be cautious not to have any liquids residing in the vicinity of your system if you were to go for it.

Case Fans :: Default Case Fan
These default fan's bearings will usually wear and tear over time (after 2-3 years) after which, you will hear noticeable sounds. By then it would be ideal to replace them.

SLI Bridge :: None
SLI is dead, I wouldn't even bother and considering GPU prices are sky high, It makes more sense to dedicate yourself with only 1 GPU.

Operating System :: Windows 11 Home
Impressed they're already offering Windows 11, albeit still not yet fully fixed. Curious how well it would turn out...

Solution

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Exact model of this PSU?

SLI is dead, I wouldn't even bother and considering GPU prices are sky high, It makes more sense to dedicate yourself with only 1 GPU.

Impressed they're already offering Windows 11, albeit still not yet fully fixed. Curious how well it would turn out...
Dang...I hate to hear that about the PSU. I... changed the build quite significantly just now actually, which brought my costs down under 2k. The total wattage is still 750 but since the total consumption is 470 it should be ok no? I also changed the case so I hope that mitigates the potential water damage? I plan to get a little stand for it to place it away from my desk and carpet so nothing gets on or inside it.

I also changed the case so I hope that mitigates the potential water damage?
Up to your discretion. I do find the design of the case to be alarming of any potential liquids around. If you're in the habit of drinking a cup of coffee in front of your PC, then accidents might...happen.

I usually avoid cases with designs that I can't have a preventative measure around, most especially if the front panel is exposed or has a significant opening.

The total wattage is still 750 but since the total consumption is 470 it should be ok no

From what I am reading lately in the forums, 800W for any RTX 30 series GPU should be good to cover the transient spikes in voltage.
To give some perspective, RTX 3080 GPU can pull up to 480W due to transient spike. RTX 3060 model will pull lower than that of course, but its still a significant number.
I don't see any issue going for a 750W in your case, its just that you oughta make sure that the quality of the PSU is good. I cannot stress that enough.

PSUs with inadequate OCP, OVP protections paired with an expensive GPU will form a potential Achilles heel.
Definitely would not cheap out on the PSU as well, given GPUs are expensive nowadays.

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
Dang...I hate to hear that about the PSU. I... changed the build quite significantly just now actually, which brought my costs down under 2k. The total wattage is still 750 but since the total consumption is 470 it should be ok no? I also changed the case so I hope that mitigates the potential water damage? I plan to get a little stand for it to place it away from my desk and carpet so nothing gets on or inside it.
Up to your discretion. I do find the design of the case to be alarming of any potential liquids around. If you're in the habit of drinking a cup of coffee in front of your PC, then accidents might...happen.

I usually avoid cases with designs that I can't have a preventative measure around, most especially if the front panel is exposed or has a significant opening.

From what I am reading lately in the forums, 800W for any RTX 30 series GPU should be good to cover the transient spikes in voltage.
To give some perspective, RTX 3080 GPU can pull up to 480W due to transient spike. RTX 3060 model will pull lower than that of course, but its still a significant number.
I don't see any issue going for a 750W in your case, its just that you oughta make sure that the quality of the PSU is good. I cannot stress that enough.

PSUs with inadequate OCP, OVP protections paired with an expensive GPU will form a potential Achilles heel.
Definitely would not cheap out on the PSU as well, given GPUs are expensive nowadays.
Would you say this applies to the new build i posted as well? I moved over to cyberpower and got a new deal. the 1060 ti is on sale today of all days too....
Customize Gamer Ultra 6700XT Gaming PC (cyberpowerpc.com)

The case looks ok
1060 ti is on sale today of all days too....
How much can you get the 1060TI for?

Are you planning to use the 1060Ti instead of the
Video Card:
AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 Video Card (Single Card)
In this build you linked? https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Ultra-6700XT
The new build you also linked only has a 600W PSU while it has a minimum PSU recommendation of 650W. A little too close for comfort.

The original build proposal you've linked still has some merit in it. You can easily replace the iBUYPOWER Slate HAKO MR Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case over time as cases don't really skyrocket in price and then transfer everything to a new case. The same can be said for PSUs as well to swap for a better quality PSU, they're not dramatically affected by shortages unlike GPUs right now. Most of the weight in the price of a prebuilt system lies on the GPU at the moment, especially if its current gen GPUs due to the shortage.

PS. Would be appreciated if you didn't edit your original post and just posted your new build proposal as a comment so other people can see the change in your proposal.

Last edited:

JetFury

Honorable
Jun 13, 2015
The case looks ok

How much can you get the 1060TI for?

Are you planning to use the 1060Ti instead of the

In this build you linked? https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer-Ultra-6700XT
The new build you also linked only has a 600W PSU while it has a minimum PSU recommendation of 650W. A little too close for comfort.

The original link you build still has some merit in it. You can easily replace the iBUYPOWER Slate HAKO MR Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case over time as cases don't really skyrocket in price and then transfer everything to a new case. The same can be said for PSUs as well to swap for a better quality PSU, they're not dramatically affected by shortages unlike GPUs right now.

PS. Would be appreciated if you didn't edit your original post and just posted your new build proposal as a comment so other people can see the change in your proposal.
I might have messed up the link. Here it is. https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1PU2BL
And I could be wrong but I dont think cyberpower tells me how much each individual part goes for, just how much more or less it is compared to the part I picked vs what else they have available. The build i posted was going to go for 1790 (plus 156 tax) thanks to a 5% off coupon, including the 3060ti. Unfortunately it looks like they are now out of stock thanks to the sale they just had. In the middle of the night. Ngl i am pretty ticked off. Might have to settle for the 3060 base if i want to keep the same price. Unless that sells out too. Sigh. Everything else still looks good, specially the I7 CPU i picked out which is a whopping 200 off. But without the video card I might be better off waiting until black friday. No guarantee it tops the halloween sales that are currently going on though

Reactions: avg9956
The build i posted was going to go for 1790 (plus 156 tax) thanks to a 5% off coupon, including the 3060ti. Unfortunately it looks like they are now out of stock thanks to the sale they just had. In the middle of the night. Ngl i am pretty ticked off
Damn, This original build you posted - I would have gone for that one personally too and just worry about the case later to have it replaced if you didn't like the case.

Might have to settle for the 3060 base if i want to keep the same price. Unless that sells out too.
Indeed, there's a risk it can sell out fast. GPUs are still currently high in demand. There's also rumors that Nvida is intentionally stopping production of GPUs in an attempt to spike prices up.

If you like a custom prebuilt build but don't like the case and you find the PSU inadequate but it has a decent GPU, you can still go for it and swap out to a new case and get a better PSU down the road later, which is what I've meant.