Question Thoughts on this build?

Oct 23, 2022
I would go with an 850W PSU instead. Your estimated wattage is ~650W and generally speaking you don't want to get close to the limit of your PSU.

Also, as mentioned in the other thread, look for a 64gb kit instead of two 32gb kits and make sure they are on the MSI boards Qualified Vendor List. Z690 has been plagued with errors around RAM compatibility.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Loking at reviews would i rather use the 13600K like this for example,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($181.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.95 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.29 @ Amazon)
Total: $1602.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-23 11:00 EDT-0400

the motherboard has "USB Bios Flashback" so updating the bios for the new cpu shouldn't be a problem.

No need for storage?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I honestly have no idea the difference between the Core i5 136000 and the Core i7 12600.

The i7 just seems to be the more popular option?

What makes the deepcool a better option? Other than being half the price the Noctua has grossly more reviews.

What is the reason of switching the ram as well, the Teamgroup ram is far higher reviewed overall as well at the same price?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu is cheaper and as good as the 127000K,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-2ArdYvfA

Was busy with that list so your latest list was there when i posted mine, even then has mine 3600mt/s ram in it, yours 3200mt/s.

The cpu cooler is just a very good option for the price and not much worse than the Noctua and for sure comes with the socket 1700 bracket. You can google some reviews about it. Don't take these builds too literally, in the end will it be your pc so use what you want, just want to suggest good parts for as good price. If the Noctua cooler has your preference go for it as goes for all parts.

Again, don't need storage? No ssd?

Saw even a more budget ddr5 option is not too expensive although the ram is abit slower amongst the ddr5 examples (dont think this hurts performance much, especially compared to the dddr4 option) and this motherboard doesn't really have the greatest soundchip,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($329.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 PG LIGHTNING ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.95 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.29 @ Amazon)
Total: $1650.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-23 11:22 EDT-0400

The I5-13600K will cost the same and is some 15% more capable.

FWIW.. I3/I5/I7/I9 no longer means what it used to.
It was a designation of the number of cores and hyperthreading.
Today, it is performance category.

On the cooler, the Noctua uses 140mm fans which will move more air and be quieter.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
So the i5, wouldn't be a lower performance category than i7?

Its a bit confusing that the i7 cost more but is 15% inferior to the less expensive i5?

The i5 looks to be 13th generation vs 12th generation i7?

I'm sure you're right, Im ignorant here I am just trying to learn why.

Heres where it is at now. It is flagging the motherboard for being incompatible with thew i5. I assume that is what was meant above to flash it?

Is DDR5 greatly worthwhile over the DDR4?

It seems everyone is content with the GPU and i5 as a card choice. So its really just a MOBO/RAM pick now.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63bF3y

And thank you in case I forget I greatly appreciate all the help.

Last edited:
It depends on the processors in question.
Details on the 13600K are slowly leaking out.
There are a couple of reviews for gaming.
Here is one:
For gaming, the single thread performance is all important.
Here is a list of early CPU-Z single thread ratings:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i5-13600k-review,13.html

DDR4 and DDR5 is a wash as far as performance goes. DDR4 motherboards and ram will be cheaper.

If you are going to use a cooler with 120mm fans, this thermalright assassin is cheaper and has an outstanding review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

Worth?? That is something only YOU can determine.
But, since 13600K is faster and costs the same, I don't know why you would not go that way.

If you want to save a bit, look for a B660 based DDR4 motherboard in MATX size.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I ask about the DDR4/5 because Vic suggested a Z790 board with DDR5 ram above. Which does add a fair amount in price.

Also, I assume there is no downside to 3600 mhz over 3200 if the price is equal?

Sorry I may have poorly wordled my question whats worth it for Intel Chip.

I meant is it worth getting the new, i7 13700k over the i5 13600k or will I not really notice it. For about $110 more.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...819118414?Item=N82E16819118414&quicklink=true

The most intensive program i use is Autodesk fusion 360. It bogs down heavily and it only operates one one CPU core. Nothing you can do to change that.
I use Fusion 360 in part to earn a living so I guess whatever gets me the best performance there, is worth it.

This whole thing is a business expense, I just don't want to needlessly throw money around is really the concern. I tend to keep a machine for 3-5 years.

3 SSDs certainly should not be a problem at all. If they are M.2 type drives, you need to confirm that your prospective motherboard has 3 ports for M.2.

Re single core performance, look at the link Geofelt provided in post 9 above.

The 13600K scores 819.

The 13700K is not listed yet because it is so new.

I'd guess there are Autodesk-related forums that might have pertinent info regarding your possible CPU choices?

I'd certainly wait 2 or 3 weeks if possible to get a better reading on this newest hardware....more reviews of your relevant CPUs with various motherboards. More benchmark scores.

Another batch of new CPUs will be released in January...if you can wait that long. These will be the non-K versions.

You want two sticks of memory, not four.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QNVD2SW
GIGABYTE B660 AORUS Master DDR4 $164.99

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660-AORUS-MASTER-DDR4-rev-10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NPJDPVG
Intel Core i7-12700F $329.99

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz/specifications.html

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4
DeepCool AK620 CPU Cooler $64.99

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200 64GB (2x32GB) CL16 $184.99

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I feel like no matter what, you’re perpetually waiting on the next version though?
The January versions will come out, and 3-4 months later will be the next big thing. No matter what you do?

Reactions: Why_Me
I feel like no matter what, you’re perpetually waiting on the next version though?
The January versions will come out, and 3-4 months later will be the next big thing. No matter what you do?

Very true......draw the deadline date wherever you want and buy no later than that date.

The differences between best stuff now and best stuff 3 months from now is marginal...but you have to allow for your buyer's remorse, budget, second-guessing yourself, frustration, etc. That's all personal to you and hard to judge from the outside.

I see what you're saying but seeing how these unlocked Raptor Lake cpu's that were just released are about the equivalent of putting a rocket propulsion engine in your PC case it's going to be a godsend when the locked version of these cpu's along with the new B760 boards are released this January. People thought the 12900KS was a hot chip ... the 13900K says 'hold my beer cuz you ain't seen nothing yet'.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I ask about the DDR4/5 because Vic suggested a Z790 board with DDR5 ram above. Which does add a fair amount in price.

Also, I assume there is no downside to 3600 mhz over 3200 if the price is equal?
One, no if you can get faster ram for the same price you get the faster ram.

Two, that ddr5 build above was cheaper than the next one you posted yourself,

If you want the extra cores because you need them and you are willing to spend the extra money is the 13700K also a good option, imo better than the 12gen.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I see what you're saying but seeing how these unlocked Raptor Lake cpu's that were just released are about the equivalent of putting a rocket propulsion engine in your PC case it's going to be a godsend when the locked version of these cpu's along with the new B760 boards are released this January. People thought the 12900KS was a hot chip ... the 13900K says 'hold my beer cuz you ain't seen nothing yet'.
So you think getting the i7 13700k would be a mistake basically?

My cocnern is, january will come around and ill post this again and the reply will be "yah its pretty solid but if you wait until march, unbelievable performance"

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need now, buy now.
If you have no budget concerns, buy the very best.
But, my sense is that for value, a 13600K is hard to beat.
With a 13700K you get 4 more processing threads and perhaps a small bump in single thread performance. Not much value there in my opinion unless you have no budget concerns.

On the cooling issue, yes, it is quite important.
The max turbo mechanism kicks in under certain conditions.
The first is an otherwise light load like a single threaded app.
The second is when the processor temperature is nominal. Think 70c.
Good cooling starts with a good case with plenty of front air intake.
Think two 140mm front intakes.
The cooler(air or liquid) needs a radiator of substantial bulk to extract heat.
The difference between a tower type air cooler and a aio cooler is where the heat exchange takes place. A good twin tower air cooler with 140mm fans like the noctua NH-D15 will have about the same radiator bulk as a 240/280 aio.
To do better requires a 360 size aio.
But, for gaming loads, all threads are not utilized, only a handful will be so the cooling load in that environment is not particularly great.

Let me also add that aio coolers do not last forever.
The pump, being a mechanical device will, in time accumulate debris or fail.
Air will permeate the system and the system will need to be replaced. Think 5 years.
Liquid leaks, while uncommon, do happen, creating all sorts of problems.
My thought is to try a top air cooler. It is likely to do the job in your environment.
You can always change it out.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need now, buy now.
If you have no budget concerns, buy the very best.
But, my sense is that for value, a 13600K is hard to beat.
With a 13700K you get 4 more processing threads and perhaps a small bump in single thread performance. Not much value there in my opinion unless you have no budget concerns.

On the cooling issue, yes, it is quite important.
The max turbo mechanism kicks in under certain conditions.
The first is an otherwise light load like a single threaded app.
The second is when the processor temperature is nominal. Think 70c.
Good cooling starts with a good case with plenty of front air intake.
Think two 140mm front intakes.
The cooler(air or liquid) needs a radiator of substantial bulk to extract heat.
The difference between a tower type air cooler and a aio cooler is where the heat exchange takes place. A good twin tower air cooler with 140mm fans like the noctua NH-D15 will have about the same radiator bulk as a 240/280 aio.
To do better requires a 360 size aio.
But, for gaming loads, all threads are not utilized, only a handful will be so the cooling load in that environment is not particularly great.

Let me also add that aio coolers do not last forever.
The pump, being a mechanical device will, in time accumulate debris or fail.
Air will permeate the system and the system will need to be replaced. Think 5 years.
Liquid leaks, while uncommon, do happen, creating all sorts of problems.
My thought is to try a top air cooler. It is likely to do the job in your environment.
You can always change it out.

The case I am going with, which is actually coming today just because it was easy to be dead set on, is the Corsair Airflow. My current case has 4 fans and has never had an airflow issue.

As far as the MOBO goes, if I went with the Gigabyte B660 and the 13th gen intel i5 or i7, what will I need to do to make it compatible with the 13th gen chipset? PC Parts picker flags all of them for incompatability unless I use a Z790 board.

From the other thread, it sounds like I don't really need a Z690 board and could devote that money to the better processor and break even.