[SOLVED] Thoughts on this super budget build ( $230)

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Motherboard : ASUS P5N73-AM Socket LGA 775
CPU: Q9550 Core 2 Quad w aftermarket cooler
Power supply: Thermaltake 450Watt
GPU: HP RX 550
HDD: Toshiba 500gb 7200rpm
RAM: 16GB DDR2 800MHz
CASE: Rosewill Black FBM-01

Im building this for my dads birthday he plays older games like Farcry 3 Fallout 3 and 4, Skyrim, Oblivion, Battlefield 4 ect... i think the only downside to this would be upgrade ability but tell me what you guys think !

Solution
Ok, out of curiosity, where are you located? Specifically, are you in the US, and, if so, you wouldn't be located within a reasonable distance of a MicroCenter, would you? MicroCenter sometimes has GREAT mb/cpu combo deals, but they're in-store only. Would a low-end new system be a possibility within the budget you have available?

But, a few things I think might be at issue are the fact that these are pretty old used parts, and I'm not sure I'd trust that PSU at all.

You could give it a try, but be prepared to possibly have to replace various parts.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What country are you buying these parts in? I am assuming they're all used. Are these parts you already have?

Do you have a Windows license?

Can you budget more money toward this? You can get much better hardware for a bit more.

Finally, what are the specs of the monitor? Resolution? Refresh rate? Brand and model?

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
What country are you buying these parts in? I am assuming they're all used. Are these parts you already have?

Do you have a Windows license?

Can you budget more money toward this? You can get much better hardware for a bit more.

Finally, what are the specs of the monitor? Resolution? Refresh rate? Brand and model?
Yeah im buying all this on ebay and yes im kinda taking the chance of used parts, but honestly i was building the cheapest capable machine i possibly could and the final price came out too 140 USD. hes using my old HDTV and its 1080P 60 and about 6 years old :)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ok, out of curiosity, where are you located? Specifically, are you in the US, and, if so, you wouldn't be located within a reasonable distance of a MicroCenter, would you? MicroCenter sometimes has GREAT mb/cpu combo deals, but they're in-store only. Would a low-end new system be a possibility within the budget you have available?

But, a few things I think might be at issue are the fact that these are pretty old used parts, and I'm not sure I'd trust that PSU at all.

You could give it a try, but be prepared to possibly have to replace various parts.

Solution