Thoughts on ultra low budget SSD

Jamie_69

Respectable
Dec 20, 2016
I'm trying to source an ultra low budget SSD for around £40 and prefer the Drevo X1 240gb.
The other options in this bracket include some from transcend, WD green, Kingston A400, Adata su650. All of these are DRAMless so performance is going to tank hard as it fills. The Drevo, however, has a DRAM cache but it's not a brand I'm particularly familiar with given the lack of proper reviews. The budget can't be extended.

Basically, I'm looking for validation here, would you get this or the adata given that they are all £40.
Thanks.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DREVO-X1-240GB-2-5-inch-Solid/dp/B01GPEA1QC?pd_rd_wg=gDoUN&pd_rd_r=0e67f7c5-9f72-4d66-bda1-a96fae0a585c&pd_rd_w=CJ6J0&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=E7GZP77S4GTVMSPX24T6&pf_rd_p=14f91171-0541-58ad-938b-3aec945f4cb7

Solution

In that case, I'd blow off the SSD, and get a regular HDD for the short term.
1TB for ~£35.

USAFRet

Titan

In that case, I'd blow off the SSD, and get a regular HDD for the short term.
1TB for ~£35.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If it's short term, I'd go with the Kingston, they at least have good quality control and a good amount of plug-n-play compatability. The WD is the same, it's a rebrand on SanDisk after WD bought them out. The Adata would be second choice, and I'd not touch Transend with a 10 foot pole and someone else holding it. To cut costs they generally end up with the lowest grade silicon money can buy.

When budget allows, get the MX, clone the drive, then stick it on a shelf as a spare. It'll be good as a permanent backup for about a year before it needs a refresh.

truckinglover

Prominent
Dec 7, 2017
I know I'm kinda late, but I've bought a really cheap SSD 1 year ago and I'm happy with it and zero issues till now, I bought it from aliexpress I know it's not the best but honestly I couldn't beat the price, it arrived in 2 weeks S3-512GB and it worked just fine, you can actually notice a difference going from HDD to an SSD.
That's the seller I bought it from if someone is interested in it:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bmGrCGpT