Question thoughts on upgrading from 1080, i7 6700k

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I've been thinking recently that it would be nice to get an upgrade. Obviously I already have a high tier pc with a 1080, i7 6700k and 16gb ram but I've started to notice games are getting harder to run at the settings and resolution I'd like (ultra/ high at 1440p)

I've been thinking a ryzen 3800x or maybe 3900x but the two seem very similar. I'm also looking at getting an rtx 2080.

I know these are obviously some upgrade but that the prices are very high for both of these. I'm not too concerned about the price to some extent as I'm set on saving up and not planning on just buying it all straight away.

Considering I like to stream and also plan on getting a vr headset at some point, I'd like to have some second opinions on this kind of upgrade, to a lot of people it might not seem worth it but I'm setting on completely redoing my setup.

WildCard999

Titan
I'd get the GPU upgrade first over the CP/MB/RAM as the 6700K is still a very capable CPU, especially when overclocked.

I'd take the 2080 Super over the 2080 as it's better performing for the price and easily handles 1440P, plus its a more worthwhile upgrade over the 1080.

As for VR your current system could easily run the Vive or Oculus so no issues there.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I'd get the GPU upgrade first over the CP/MB/RAM as the 6700K is still a very capable CPU, especially when overclocked.

I'd take the 2080 Super over the 2080 as it's better performing for the price and easily handles 1440P, plus its a more worthwhile upgrade over the 1080.

As for VR your current system could easily run the Vive or Oculus so no issues there.

I was thinking the CPU upgrade mostly for CPU encoding. Currently use GPU and it would be nice to have higher quality encoding.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Can the 6700K not handle the CPU encoding? While it's only 4 cores I would think the 8 threads would help.

tbf I used cpu encoding when I first started and if I tweaked my settings around I might be able to see if I could use it., though the new nvenc encoder has lessened the performance hit I'd like better quality with more playable frames.

The problem is that a partial upgrade isn't really possible for me. When I bought my current PC I had more money than sense and had it custom built with a water cooling loop. I'm looking to sell this whole pc (minus the storage) and build a complete one by myself like I did with my pc before this current one.

WildCard999

Titan
tbf I used cpu encoding when I first started and if I tweaked my settings around I might be able to see if I could use it., though the new nvenc encoder has lessened the performance hit I'd like better quality with more playable frames.

The problem is that a partial upgrade isn't really possible for me. When I bought my current PC I had more money than sense and had it custom built with a water cooling loop. I'm looking to sell this whole pc (minus the storage) and build a complete one by myself like I did with my pc before this current one.
Fair enough.

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Cool, are you looking for an ATX form factor or minit itx? You can go in between via micro atx. Do you like RGB?

a small form factor would be nice but if it comes at a trade off when it comes to options I don't really mind which. not a huge fan of RGB. I prefer just one colour LED that fits a colour theme. When it comes to boards, isn't there only like 2 chipsets that are directly compatible with the ryzen 3000's without the whole bios update thing?

Ian_64

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
another question, is it worth getting a second, less expensive gpu to run additional monitors at lower refresh rate or should I just get cheap 144Hz monitors. I currently have an issue with streaming with my second monitor as the preview on the 60Hz monitor limits the main monitor to 60Hz (though it feels a lot worse than 60Hz)