Question Thoughts on worth while upgrade or not

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,
I am looking for some thoughts about a possible cpu, motherboard and ram upgrade.

I was thinking of just upgrading my current set up from 8GB to 16GB but remembered I am limited to 2133Mhz speed. I feel i don’t have much room for upgrades on my current set up.

So I was looking at cpu bundles. I see that you can get a bundle starting from around £260 for the Ryzen 5 2600. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade do you think? I could maybe push to the Ryzen 5 3600. On paper seems not too bad. Faster processor and faster ram. I am not a massive gamer. More of a casual gamer who likes to have an up to speed set up where I can afford. I mostly play Football Manger, Planet Coaster and Cities Skyline.

I was thinking about bundles because I am not confident about putting the cpu onto the motherboard with the thermal paste and all that. Somes places assemble the parts for you, Happy doing the rest.

I have no performance issue with my current setup and perhaps I just have a little too much spare time at work.lol. If it’s not broken don’t try to fix it kind of thing.

Would be grateful to hear what you think.

Example of what I am thinking...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/143245640797?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=2&asc=20160908110712&meid=ced0904c781d4a83bd12c66cc39e4ab6&pid=100677&rk=9&rkt=30&sd=123780723667&itm=143245640797&pg=2385738

Thank you

Current Set up
Intel Core i5-6500
MSI B150M
HyperX Black Fury 2 x 4 GB RAM 2133Mhz
ASUS - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Cerberus
1 TB 860 Evo SSD
650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold
Corsair Carbide 88R Case
AOC G2260VWQ6 21.5 Monitor

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
Its' a tough call I admit.

The upgrades are techincally better, but probably not practically better. If you're not having problems then maybe stay with what you got is the better options. There is an old saying that an upgrade of less than 50% isn't worth the undertaking.

You're option is a reasonable path. Alternatives would be to: a) Find an I7 that will fit your motherboard on Ebay/Aliexpress; b) Upgrade your graphics card. although your games probably aren't pushing your card too hard either.

I'm in the same boat. I'm using an I7-4770K and it's doing me just fine. The Ryzen 3000 seems a little bit underwhelming to me, given the hype. It turns out that it doesn't better the intel 9th gen in gaming.

All round I would say, stick but what the prices. If you find a good deal or you just want the project of upgrading go for it. Neither is a bad choice really. It's just neither are compelling choices.

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I'm more about having a project.lol.

Think I will keep an eye on the prices for now. Might be some good deals nearer the end of year sells.

Thank you

Also keep in mind, you're currently running a gtx 1050ti.
So indeed the ryzen 2600 is a nice upgrade over the i5 6500 raw powerwise. You wouldn't really see any fps increase over your i5 6500, since in both cases the gtx 1050ti is probably the bottleneck. :)

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Also keep in mind, you're currently running a gtx 1050ti.
So indeed the ryzen 2600 is a nice upgrade over the i5 6500 raw powerwise. You wouldn't really see any fps increase over your i5 6500, since in both cases the gtx 1050ti is probably the bottleneck. :)

Interesting thank you. I would upgrade the gpu at some point if i did upgrade to the Ryzen.

Just thinking that for around £312 i could upgrade to the following....
Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz Hexa Core
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
from CCL Computers

Maybe even sell what i am replacing to recuperate some of the cost. Doesn't seem to bad a deal for faster ram and cpu.

Does not seem worth putting in money into my current set up. I could be wrong. I get really puzzled when it come to cpu's.

Whats the best way of improving loading times on games? Graphics are important and i am happy with what i have but being able to load games quicker is always nice.

Thank you

Interesting thank you. I would upgrade the gpu at some point if i did upgrade to the Ryzen.

Just thinking that for around £312 i could upgrade to the following....
Gigabyte B450M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz Hexa Core
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4
from CCL Computers

Maybe even sell what i am replacing to recuperate some of the cost. Doesn't seem to bad a deal for faster ram and cpu.

Does not seem worth putting in money into my current set up. I could be wrong. I get really puzzled when it come to cpu's.

Whats the best way of improving loading times on games? Graphics are important and i am happy with what i have but being able to load games quicker is always nice.

Thank you
Yes you could sell your current setup to get atleast some money back in return.

Also make sure that your B450 motherboard has the correct bios version, otherwise the 3600 might not work on it. Since b450 motherboards where made for the ryzen 2000 series (ryzen 2600 etc).
You could ask the store you buying it from to flash it for you to the newest bios so it will support the new ryzen 3000 cpus. Some will do it for free and some will charge you for example 10 bucks for it. Depends on the store.

Or you could also just get the ryzen 2600, it's still a fast cpu, and much cheaper than the ryzen 3600. You can even get a 2600 now and upgrade in a few years to the ryzen 4000 series for example. Only thing you would need than is a bios update.

You might want to get dual channel ramsticks, one stick will cause stutter since it's not fast enough.
Best would be 2x8gb. 3000mhz is fine btw.

You are already running your games from the 1tb ssd I see? That should be fast enough? There isn't really anything faster.

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Thank you. This has all been a great help.

The website that i was looking at does say they pre-assembled and test the cpu,ram and motherboard. I assume that means they would make sure it has the latest bios version for what ever cpu i went for. This is good for me as its saves me dealing with the placing of the cpu and the thermal paste which i would be very nervous about. I also know nothing about the bios so i wouldn't need to worry about that bit. I will be sure to check this if i go down that route.

I did think that was odd about the one stick of ram, but i thought it would be enough see me by for the meantime. I could easily change to 2x4 as i dont think there was a huge price differance.

Just to put something else into the mix..... What about putting a 1660 ti into my current setup? Just thought of it now and currenly looking through google to see what information i can find.

Would i see much of a differance? On paper looks much better than the 1050 ti.
Could my system handle it?

Thanks again

https://www.box.co.uk/GTX-1660-ARMOR-6G-OC-MSI-GeForce-GTX-1660-ARMOR-6G-OC-Turing-_2495753.html

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS