Thread Stuck in Device Driver

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
To start the Specs: i7 4790k ( Kraken x61) 840 Evo 128GB (Windows OS)
r9 290 (H55, Kraken g10) Seagate 1tb (Everything other than OS)
16 GB Vengence 16000 mhz 850 Evo 500 GB (Games)
Asus Z97-A
*Started with Windows 7 then Windows 10*
So recently my computer started to crash while playing games. I would be in ANY game for around 30 mins- 1 hour and my PC would crash. While I had Windows 7 the code 0x00000EA would shoot. I ran DDU and installed the latest drivers; it still kept occurring. I resorted to Nuking the drives and installed Windows 10 Pro. The crashes still happen. I could be watching a youtube video or just browsing the web and it will crash. I can load any game and play for a little bit but then it crashes. I can leave it on FOREVER and it won't crash but as soon as I do something it crashes.

What I have done:
Moved from Windows 7 to 10 with fresh install (Did not fix)
Used DDU to uninstall graphics drivers and install latest ones (This did not fix)
Used DDU and installed Crimson 17.7.1 (Still did not fix)

ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
Same file is crashing. I would also uninstall AI suite if it's installed. Since this driver is on your hdd AsIO.sys

I wouldnt use Openhardware monitor either it's driver OpenHardwareMonitorLib.sys is 9-10 yrs old.

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

That was my initial thought but I have NZXT's Cam software and I have never been alerted about my GPU temperature.

thirtyben

Reputable
Dec 27, 2016

How about CPU/GPU usage while playing?

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Usage is fine/Normal. No spikes nor dips. I have managed to play Planetside 2 for 1 hour without it crashing. I have been able to ALT-Tab out of it just fine.
I watched a youtube video on Chrome for 3 minutes and it crashed. I full-screened a video and it crashed.

jr9

Estimable
If you post your minidump file somewhere, we can run it though a debugger and obtain more details on the crashes. It is good for confirming the crashes are video card related.

Have you tried older versions of your driver? This is a good last-ditch effort for driver issues.

I see a lot of failing or failed 200 series cards in my line of work for various reasons like dead fans overheating buggy drivers etc. If you have another card you can test, I would try it. The drivers on the 200 series are also very spotty. Whenever I see a 200 series card that is crashing and I can replicate the crash with the card in another machine I recommend replacing the card.

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I'm sorry i'm just replying. I had emergency sugery on my appendix a couple days ago and i'm still recovering.
Where can I find the mini-dump file? Also, my 290 is liquid cooled with the Corsair H55 and the NZXT Kraken G10 bracket.

jr9

Estimable

No worries!

You'll find the .dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump.

It probably isn't overheating if you are only getting bluescreens. The things it could be in order of probability if you are suddenly getting crashes out of nowhere are:

- Device driver malfunction or conflict. Sometimes Windows 10 automatically updates device drivers causing issues but you can disable it. Sometimes you have to try 3-4 different drivers to get one. 200 series cards are known for driver issues. DDU in safe mode (safe mode does make a difference) and reinstallation between each step is critical if you are trying different drivers.

- Software level conflict inside OS. Running PC in diagnostic startup mode (not safe mode) and testing the card can help with only the services running you need to get a game going. Then it's a matter of re enabling things until you can get a crash. A bit trial and error but it works.

- GPU failing, see this a lot on 200 series cards although most of the issues are with the cooler or paste.

- PSU failure. If the PSU cant give the card what it needs it can seize and crash the OS. This occurs more in low tier power supplies like a Thermal take 500W for example.

- Motherboard starting to die (VRM failure in older motherboards)

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

Here's the mini dump link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qjUqPrA4mUefbG6Dc9ez9xulzcb3n93o
I have run DDU multiple times in Safe Mode and I am currently using 17.7.1. drivers
My Power Supply is an Antec HighCurrent Gamer 750w so that is not the issue.
I have been able to play many games for hours on end and it has not managed to crash. I have been doing small random stuff on my PC and it has crashed. It seems to have a "mind of its own" at this point.

jr9

Estimable
Can you try uninstalling NZXT CAM first and see if the crashing stops? It may have been wrongly blamed for the BSOD but it was the active program when it happened in that log. If it crashes again please post another log file.

The graphics card driver is getting stuck in a loop and the OS detects it and triggers a bluescreen. This is either the hardware (graphics card) or the driver malfunctioning due to something. I'd give diagnostic mode a try to see if you can stop the crashes. A clean installation or reset would be the next step although it is a nuclear option to eliminate any software conflicts that could be locking up your display driver. If you have another drive, you could install a copy of Windows on to it just to boot from without changing your OS setup to use as a test environment and see if it crashes there.

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I didn't change anything to my pc and it stopped crashing for a long time. I have been gaming for the past couple of days and there have been 0 crashes. Today it crashed for the first time.
Here's the link to the minidump file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NCTdtPm7V0AUcuqMWn7Gn5-jRsrbhmjp

If it is NZXT's software CAM I will disable it while i'm using the computer.

thedoppleganger

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

I have no idea how to fix the problem. Do you have any?
Edit: I uninstalled CAM and installed OpenHardware Monitor. After I restarted the PC and reopened this thread it crashed again.
Dump:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uFLjDZHRvTnzHfEBZK6BjZr9MOhkS6Rh