Question Laptop network Issues - - - slow connection and difficulty connecting ?

Oct 1, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out for help regarding some persistent network issues I'm facing with my laptop. I use Windows 10 and am currently developing a project called MyHomeworkify, so a stable and fast internet connection is crucial for my work.

Here’s a summary of the issues:

1. Connection Attempts: My laptop connects to the Wi-Fi network, but it often takes multiple attempts. Sometimes I have to disconnect and reconnect several times before it finally establishes a stable connection.
  2. Slow Internet Speed: Even when I am connected, the internet speed is considerably slow. This affects my ability to work effectively, especially when I need to download libraries, upload files, or use cloud services.
  3. Driver Updates: I’ve ensured that my network drivers are updated to the latest version. I checked through Device Manager, and everything seems up to date.
  4. Network Troubleshooter: I’ve run the built-in Windows network troubleshooter, but it hasn’t resolved the issues. It sometimes suggests that there are problems with the DNS settings, but I’m not sure how to proceed with that.
  5. Other Devices: Interestingly, other devices (phones, tablets, etc.) on the same network have no connectivity issues. This seems to be isolated to my laptop.

Potential Solutions Considered:​

• I’m wondering if using some external hardware could help improve my situation. For instance:
    • USB Wi-Fi Adapter: Would a higher-quality USB Wi-Fi adapter provide a better connection than my laptop’s built-in adapter?
    • Wi-Fi Range Extender: If my laptop struggles with distance from the router, would a range extender improve the signal?
    • Ethernet Connection: If possible, I might connect my laptop directly to the router via Ethernet. However, my workspace is set up in a way that might make this inconvenient.

Request for Help:​

• Suggestions: I would appreciate any advice or troubleshooting steps you could recommend. If anyone has faced similar issues and found a solution, your insights would be invaluable.
  • Hardware Recommendations: If using external hardware is a good route to take, please share any specific product recommendations or brands that have worked well for you.
I’m really looking to resolve these issues as soon as possible, as they’re hindering my productivity on MyHomeworkify. Thank you in advance for your help!

Pretty typical wifi issues and very limited ability to do much about it. Try the standard solutions. Force the laptop to use 2.4 or 5 and see if either is better. Change the wifi channels being used on the router.

So option 1 is always to not use wifi if there is any other realistic option. Running a ethernet cable even if it is difficult tends to be the best option. Once it is done you will have no issues in the future. If you have coax cables in both location you can use MoCA. These device can run at full giabit speed. You can also consider powerline networks. Powerline networks many times will not get as fast numbers from speedtest but the speed you do get is very consistent compared to wifi. In a lot of houses if you buy the 1000/2000 models of powerline you can get over 100mbps. 100mbps should be more than fast enough for anything except very large downloads.

Wifi there really is no good solution to stability. You are also subject to your neighbors usage of wifi which can change as they buy new equipment or maybe just download large stuff. In general the internal wifi cards in a laptop are better than most USB devices. You would need a USB device that is designed for a desktop for it to be "better?". These tend to have long USB cables on them and have larger antenna. Those tiny USB sticks many times are much worse than the internal wifi cards in laptops.

Range extenders/repeaters should always be your very last option when you have nothing else to try. To work properly they need to be placed half way between the router and the end devices. They need to be able to get strong signal from the main router and still be able to provide strong signal to the end device. Lots of trial and error for location in a house where floors and walls block signals. Even in best case you are going to lose 1/2 the bandwidth and you now have 2 radio signals that can be interfered with rather than 1.

There is a very tiny chance the laptop wifi card is defective. Most laptops you can replace them but it all depends on how hard it is to disassemble the laptop. Very easy ones have a small panel on the back you can take off and replace the wifi. These adapaters are pretty standard and are not real expensive. I would not do this as your first option. I would test the laptop in different location in the house and see if it has problems in all of them.